It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton Wants to Reinstate Assault Weapons Ban in Wake of Orlando Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Melen

Have you ever operated an AR15? We use them to hunt wild hogs, coyotes and other varmints here in TX as one example of their use for hunting. All an AR15 is, is a semi-automatic rifle. It is not an 'assault weapon' which is defined as an automatic rifle.

Furthermore, there are millions of legally owned such semi-automatic rifles in this country. How would you enforce such a ban? Confiscate all the 99.999% of legally owned AR15s that have never been used in a crime?

The logic against guns here is conflicted. People on the left say radical Islamic terror represents such a tiny % of Islam, so we can't look at it as the problem. Yet compared to the numbers of legally owned firearms, the ones used in mass shootings are also a tiny %.

If they want to ban ARs, they should probably prepare for a revolution.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   
See? Everyone argues points that are, well, pointless. Ban the guns or not, people who hate will find ways to kill. If everyone doesn't stop fighting and getting offended by every suggestion, this will never be fixed. Constantly comparing the US to smaller countries doesn't help. Blaming the mass murder of 49-50 people on Clinton or Obama is ... insulting to anyone with a decent amount of intelligence. The guilty party is the poor excuse for a human being that went out of his way to do what he did.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I hope she keeps talking this up. It will assure a Trump presidency.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
Found this on Facebook, realised it is highly appropriate here:

en.wikipedia.org...

According to this link there have been several. Also, you're an island with a small population.
edit on 13-6-2016 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

But outright banning guns doesn't solve the problem, since criminals don't buy guns at gun stores. We have the same thing in Canada, it's VERY hard to get a handgun, but you can get one, with the proper training and licensing.

I don't think anybody is suggesting an outright ban on guns - no matter how hard some people scream and yell and would have us believe thats what it is about.

As with Canada it is the same here, even IF I went and got my gun license and passed all the checks I wouldn't have a clue where to buy one. I remember before our laws there was a gunshop in every town - usually attached to a sports shop. Now, apart from maybe at a gun club, I am clueless as to where to buy one. Even the "criminal element" have a hard time finding illegal guns as they just aren't around.

One things for sure, with our strict laws on what types of guns we can own here I feel safe knowing no-one in Australia can get their hands on assault rifles. Even the Martin Place dude could only get his hands on a single fire shotgun.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Please Hillary ,the cowards need their guns to feel safe ,it's noted in the history of life that these people are that cowardly and will die if there protection is taken away from them.PLEASE HILLARY DON'T DO IT I'M SO SCARED

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor
If they want to ban ARs, they should probably prepare for a revolution.

I'm saying we need to start somewhere, and I'm also saying that banning guns isn't going to solve the problem. The lack of give or compromise is a huge part of the problem. Saying you're going to, essentially, revolt against the country you're a citizen of if they take *1* gun away from you ... well, isn't there a word or phrase to describe people like that?

Personally, that last comment gets to me. I'm not the most patriotic. Politics nauseate me. I'm sick of the way our country is being run by both sides. The joke people don't seem to get is that it doesn't matter if Clinton or Trump gets elected. It really doesn't. They will inherit what Obama leaves, just as Obama had to inherit the mess Bush left. Not to mention, our President isn't a dictator. They have limited power! Intentionally!

The funny thing is, I'm not your enemy on this. There's been quite a few mass shooting with AR15's. Do you have a better suggestion other then "touch our guns and we'll revolt"? Cause that response is getting frickin old!

An Australian said something interesting to me yesterday when I pointed out the difference in population and such. She said the Australians have a different manner of looking at things. I'm sure their debates get heated too, but I wonder how many Australians threaten to revolt against the government if they don't get their way. I'm sure there's some, but I wonder if it's proportional to the amount of times we see US citizens say such a thing (taking into account disparity of population).

Most of my family has spent some time in the military and I find such a threat to be insulting, no matter how serious the person saying it is.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Where did I say I would revolt? That was an observation not a threat. Don't put words in my mouth.

This country has always had at its core a principle of independence. To literally ban private property that is owned by millions of law abiding citizens, based on a miniscule percent of these types of firearms being used in crime will create serious problems.

If you want to get serious about the dialogue then maybe people should be consistent in their logic. If you want to ban AR15s because a tiny % are used to commit criminal acts, then maybe they should ban Islam in this country because a tiny % of muslims committed crimes. Sounds extreme, but it is the same exact logic.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So a terrorist attacks American people, and the first ###ing thing she wants to do, is disarm American people.

#### you, Hillary.

Bitch.

My sentiments exactly DB.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Our law-abiding 2A supporting citizenry need them now more than ever.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Melen

I've seen this argument. You do realize Australia has a population of under 24 million, but the US has a population of OVER 318 million, right? Number comparisons like this ignore the basic fact that there's many times more people in the US, and many of those people have parents or grandparents that immigrated from many other countries.

Australia can't really be compared to the US for any meaningful statistic like that.

Also, Australia is surrounded by water and doesn't border a country that prohibition has failed to curtail illegal imports from for 50 years. And they conveniently forget about the 2014 Sydney hostage crisis.

And, France has strict gun laws. It didn't stop anything there. Belgium has strict gun laws. England is an island that has strict gun laws (so makeshift bombs). Switzerland is packing and no mass shootings (though its a very small country). These are all apples and oranges.
edit on 13-6-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SonOfThor

Where did I say I would revolt? That was an observation not a threat. Don't put words in my mouth.

This country has always had at its core a principle of independence. To literally ban private property that is owned by millions of law abiding citizens, based on a miniscule percent of these types of firearms being used in crime will create serious problems.

If you want to get serious about the dialogue then maybe people should be consistent in their logic. If you want to ban AR15s because a tiny % are used to commit criminal acts, then maybe they should ban Islam in this country because a tiny % of muslims committed crimes. Sounds extreme, but it is the same exact logic.

I quoted you in my reply, so I didn't put words anywhere. Apparently you meant it in a different way then what you wrote. I can accept that, but to me it looked like a threat. I obviously stand corrected. If you look a most social media, you'll see this threat of revolt and revolution is so common it's sickening.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I want to re-iterate that I don't feel that banning the AR15 will solve anything. Personally, I think the "bad guys" will just get creative. You can't ban all material used for making explosives, for example.

That being said, I feel like we have to start SOMEWHERE, and instead every time something like this happens we get bogged down in everyone being pissed off and no compromise. Everyone will fight with each other. Threats will be made. Ultimately nothing will change, and we'll be sitting here again in 6 months with people asking "How can this happen again?". It happened again because we can't get out of our own way and compromise to maybe get a handle on the problem.

Like I said in my original post, the real issue is one of hatred. It's easy to blame all the hatred on homophobes or terrorists, and ignore the fact that internally in the US there is so much hatred for our fellow citizens and elected officials it's disgusting. Just go on Twitter and read responses to news tweets that contain Obama quotes. We actually have citizens that decry hatred while calling our elected President a "monkey". How can that not disgust people? That's not simple disagreement.

It's easy to blame terrorists, but not so easy to accept that here in the US hate is a way of life. If that isn't dealt with, we'll never be able to stop terrorists like this. They must be laughing as we continue to fight petty fights amongst ourselves, rather then dealing with the real issue.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
it's funny how she criticizes our gun laws in florida when our gun related murder rates are just about the same as states like california and new york where guns are practically banned, even with us being one of the poorest states in the nation.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Would the assault weapons ban have stopped the Tsarnaev brothers from blowing up the Boston Marathon?

Would the assault weapons ban have stopped the San Bernadino couple? They had sacks and sacks of pipe bombs, and used them to kill people at the party...

America needs an assault pipe ban.

Some of you are hiding assault pipe in your homes.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Seriously this Omar had a firearms license. He worked for a contractor with DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY.

He would have gotten clearance for guns even if there had been a ban in place.

He is from the same mosque as the American who joined ISIS and killed in Syria. Omar had even been in contact with him, which is the reason the FBI interviewed him.

It sounds like ISIS has infiltrated at least one part of the Department of Homeland Security.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: redempsh
Would the assault weapons ban have stopped the Tsarnaev brothers from blowing up the Boston Marathon?

Would the assault weapons ban have stopped the San Bernadino couple? They had sacks and sacks of pipe bombs, and used them to kill people at the party...

America needs an assault pipe ban.

Some of you are hiding assault pipe in your homes.

You're being flippant. No, banning any gun will not fix the problem. Maybe it'll slow things down enough for us to get a handle on the problem? I don't know. I hope there's smarter people then me trying to figure that out, because I certainly don't have the answer.

Rather then going back and forth and getting pissed off at each other, I will ask: What is your suggestion to start addressing the issue of hatred that seems to be the root cause of all these murders? Please don't insult me with "ban muslims", because I hate to tell ya, our own non-arab descent citizens certainly like killing each other enough without outside help. I live in a city that has shootings and stabbings almost nightly, and guess what, none of the perpetrators are Muslim.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: redempsh

We also need bans and high taxes on pressure cookers and suicide vests.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
I don't know why they think that new laws will help when they refuse to enforce the existing laws.

If there's on thing I agree with when it comes to the NRA is that the gun violence problem in America, is a mental health issue mostly.

There's some issues with access, gun shows and what not, but at the end of the day, when most convicted mass shooters were on some kind of anti depressant, we have to start looking at those issues.

~Tenth

Plenty of people on anti-depressants in Australia, including myself. We still have access to guns, we just need a license and to pass strict checks. Even with that, and the prevalence of anti-depressants, we still haven't had a single mass murder in 20 years.

Gun restrictions DO work. When implemented correctly. (note I said RESTRICTIONS not ALL OUT BAN. Some people would have you believe we banned guns entirely in Australia which is an outright LIE.)

Which begs the question, what other agenda are mass murders being perped for?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The thought of Hillary with Executive Order privilege is scary.

I can see her using everything that happens as some excuse to ban more weapons. She will keep doing it bit by bit, chipping away, until there is no way that law-abiding citizens can defend themselves.

So, don't say 'oh it's just assault weapons', without seeing the bigger picture. That would just be the beginning.

She is the scariest candidate I have seen on the ballot in my lifetime, for this and many other reasons.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Melen

I've seen this argument. You do realize Australia has a population of under 24 million, but the US has a population of OVER 318 million, right? Number comparisons like this ignore the basic fact that there's many times more people in the US, and many of those people have parents or grandparents that immigrated from many other countries.

Australia can't really be compared to the US for any meaningful statistic like that.

Ah, but if you look at your math here then Australia should have had at least 13 mass shootings so far this year.
The USA, with your 318Million population, has had 176 mass shootings so far this year (approx. mid year). One for every 1.8Million people. Australia has many immigrants.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join