It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists discover a new form of light

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: BO XIAN
It has been shown in some experiments since the turn of the century , that light particles do not travel at the same speed . So , I would hope , yes. Opens up FTL rather nicely when we lay aside the dogmas of a false prophet , huh ?

Could you elaborate on what "do not travel at the same speed" means?

Sounds interesting.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

No other exotic implications you can speak about?

Hmmm

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
The general details of this new aspect of light brings to mind an UFO sighting of two or three decades ago and reported in the MUFON journal. It was a close-encounter sighting.

The UFO projected a beam (of light ?), of a sizeable diameter, that seemingly did the impossible. It bent in about a 90-degree angle.

Yeah . . . there have been a lot of very curious 'impossible' light things witnessed with the craft.

I long figured more stuff would eventually be revealed about such things.

It's interesting that LIGHT was an extremely early component of Creation.

and . . . that satan . . . the chief fallen one . . . is known as an angel of light . . . deceptive light . . . but light.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Interesting. I didn't realize the coiled spring aspect. Never heard that.

God sure seems to like spirals.

Time travel is still a bit too mind boggling for me to make much sense of. There's too many seemingly intractable paradoxes involved for my linear thinking module.

People talk of eternity with God as being in a state where time is no more. But that's not the Biblical model depicted.

Things still happen in sequence. It is NOT as though everything happens all at once. period.

However, it's also clear from some NDE's e.g. HEAVEN IS FOR REAL--the 4 year old was out of his body 3 min 20 seconds, IIRC and seemed to experience about an hour and a half earth time's worth of events in heaven. At least a half hour's worth. So time can certainly be different . . . depending on . . . as you said . . . LOCATION.

LOL.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
Could you elaborate on what "do not travel at the same speed" means?

Sounds interesting.

Well, not knowing exactly what he's referring to, light (or any EM) travels at different speeds depending on the medium it's traveling in. If the medium has a different permeability or permittivity than free space, then light will be faster or slower than light in a vacuum.

While the speed of light in a vacuum (c) is thought to be as fast as anything can be in an Einsteinian universe, in some oddball cases it's not totally clear - in metamaterials you mathematically assume faster than c propagation in some cases. Some people think that's a group velocity thing, others think it's actually happening. But not many.

OTOH, you can definitely slow down the propagation of EM, and you have to take that into account when designing high speed electronics. It's also how lenses work.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

Sounds more than a little freaky and frightful.

How did it turn out? Are you still stalked?

What did you learn from it all?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

No other exotic implications you can speak about?

Hmmm

I guess if you were laser launching light sail craft, you could make them rotate more slowly than you could otherwise. That's exotic.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Love your thinking outside the box.

But it stretches my understanding just to grasp what you were saying. LOL.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: zysin5

INDEED. . . . And Alice's Wonderland beckons . . . LOL.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The length light travels in a year is a measurement . . . IIRC . . .

Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The length light travels in a year is a measurement . . . IIRC . . .

Thanks for your knowledgeable input.

Yes, the length that it travels in a year is a measurement, because light has a speed. But light is not a measurement. The speed is.

Is your car a measurement? Or a car? The speed that it's going can be measured, but it's a measurement of speed. You're not going 3.5 cars. Because 'car' is not a unit.

You're confusing the thing with its attributes.
edit on 12-6-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
There has been several experiments set up to measure the rate of photons striking a photo electric plate I believe emitted from the sun.They could tell which ones left earlier or later by the size.The scientists realized that photons of the same size (meaning they were emitted at the same time) were striking the plate at different times.

And , yes . this was mainstream scientists from a well known institute. I wish I remembered more on the subject

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

No, it's not that. What it means is that in constrained spaces and materials, the laws of QM combined with electromagnetism and collective response of the substrate can have unusual effects.

There have been other similar examples in condensed matter physics dealing with electrons, most prominently superconductivity and quantum Hall and fractional quantum Hall effects.

It's pretty remarkable result, but it doesn't challenge fundamental laws any more than the fact that in refractive media (like a lens) the speed of light signals is less than 'c', the free space speed.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I guess I knew more of that than I realized.

Thanks much for your clear elaboration.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join