It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicists discover a new form of light

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

May 17, 2016 by Thomas Deane
phys.org...

. . .
Now, recent PhD graduate Kyle Ballantine and Professor Paul Eastham, both from Trinity College Dublin's School of Physics, along with Professor John Donegan from CRANN, have demonstrated a new form of light where the angular momentum of each photon (a particle of visible light) takes only half of this value. This difference, though small, is profound. These results were recently published in the online journal Science Advances.
Commenting on their work, Assistant Professor Paul Eastham said: "We're interested in finding out how we can change the way light behaves, and how that could be useful. What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed."
Professor John Donegan said: "My research focuses on nanophotonics, which is the study of the behaviour of light on the nanometer scale. A beam of light is characterised by its colour or wavelength and a less familiar quantity known as angular momentum. Angular momentum measures how much something is rotating. For a beam of light, although travelling in a straight line it can also be rotating around its own axis. So when light from the mirror hits your eye in the morning, every photon twists your eye a little, one way or another."
Read more at: phys.org...

That's a new TWIST on light! LOL.
My first comments got zapped. Sigh.
It's an interesting article though it makes my head spin!
What other applications are likely besides more secure light based communications technologies?
And is it the Planck length that is no longer local geographically but is everywhere at the same time???
Any ATS physics geniuses willing to comment?
edit on 11/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: May 17, 2016 by Thomas Deane

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I still haven't finished reading through the source, but thanks for sharing!

s&f
edit on 6/11/2016 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Read this a while back. I'm not sure what implications this research has on things. It may be important and it may not be, I couldn't tell. Some new discoveries actually are very important in helping to explain things that don't fit. Others are just weird properties that mean little/

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Understand. Thanks.

IIRC, the exotic tech stuff as in UFO exotic tech etc.

involves spin to produce antigravity etc. sorts of effects. I'm just wondering if this light spin thing has any implications in those ball parks.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   
You can use it to scan the inside of a vehicle or blind the occupants by firing a beam through the window and directing it from the entry point wherever you want it from a stealth ship.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

and then there was blp.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

"We're interested in finding out how we can change the way light behaves, and how that could be useful. What I think is so exciting about this result is that even this fundamental property of light, that physicists have always thought was fixed, can be changed."

Thus putting an end to Einstein's constant and maximum speed limit

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nochzwei

and then there was blp.

Which is still a scam!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

I have no idea whether you're joking, or not.

Sort of suspect you are.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

I have no idea what blp is.

How about some elaboration?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Evidently, at least, some assumptions are overturned.

What are the serious implications?

Are Einstein's set of constants no longer constant as Dr Chuck Missler has asserted?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It has been shown in some experiments since the turn of the century , that light particles do not travel at the same speed . So , I would hope , yes. Opens up FTL rather nicely when we lay aside the dogmas of a false prophet , huh ?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: Gothmog

Evidently, at least, some assumptions are overturned.

What are the serious implications?

Not a huge amount, except angular momentum can take on a non-integer value.

Changing the OAM of light is old hat - I've posted here about it for a couple of years,it's good for packing more data onto fiber optics or targeting swarms of munitions, Navy likes diddling with it especially.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

The general details of this new aspect of light brings to mind an UFO sighting of two or three decades ago and reported in the MUFON journal. It was a close-encounter sighting.

The UFO projected a beam (of light ?), of a sizeable diameter, that seemingly did the impossible. It bent in about a 90-degree angle.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

You wouldn't be able to see a beam of light from the side. And this doesn't have anything to do with light bending at an angle in midair.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: rickymouse

Understand. Thanks.

IIRC, the exotic tech stuff as in UFO exotic tech etc.

involves spin to produce antigravity etc. sorts of effects. I'm just wondering if this light spin thing has any implications in those ball parks.

The representation of a light wave as we think of it is not correct. Light always travels in a coil spring shaped pattern but is represented as a wave type pattern in two dimensional representation. As a photon spins it creats a little wobble, this is being pushed through space and time and this wobble creates a spring like pattern. Our earth going around the sun does the same thing in it's orbit and a representation of our planet going around the sun as the sun travels through space leaves a spring type trail in the universe. This is why I feel time travel would be impossible, location is important.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Ive had it happen to me in texas so yes the beam invisible from the ship will hit a vehicle window, excite the atoms of the glass producing a glowing effect and the beam is able to be redirected by the ships AI to another pane of glass.

In my case it entered from the side pane and then projected to the windshield and lit it up a bright blue.

The Atoms in the glass were excited by the effect and the glow slowly faded over a few hours.

This occurred after I insulted a ex nasa engineer and as a result I was gang stalked for over a year and follow across the US to Texas.

A gov vehicle drove through earlier that day to case the place for cameras. Then that night they came in a meta stealth ship and fired the beam into he old mini-van to get my attention.

So no I am not joking.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well all light has a shadow so Im wondering if this spin is due to a dark body it orbits like a black hole and a photon roughly the same size yet the particle of light still cant enter nor escape it... giving it a sort of binary spin or orbit around eachother sling shoting eachother through space and the angular momentum a field bubble that becomes ists vector until it strikes something and reflects, refracts, or bends changing the vector.

This would explain the pull it has as that tiny black hole would have a gravity to pull other particles in a mass a tiny bit or at least enough to be measured.

If one has noticed looking without really looking we can alter the shape of our lens or light reflector to either absorb which aids some night vision like a cats eyes has more cones or rods cant recall which that sort of charge like glow in the dark tech and allow nightvision... likely why they sleep a lot becomes over charged in gathering light making everything too high contrast to really see... pupil shapes have always been an interests of mine theirs are like an eye itself but vertical and opens and closes instead of shrink and grow from a center, snakes eyes vary from round or half slit and goats of course have a very odd pupil shape kinda key hole squarish and round.

But if we try to look at every thing with our eye with them open we can see similar lighter dark and colored specks the same way when closed as firld depth is always changing as light is constantly bouncing off of particles that the small black hole shadow cant absorb or maybe it does and drops it right out behind it and the photon acts as a monorail train sitting on top of it with the particle passing in and out like the track itself...

The UFO thing is interesting... as its frequently displayed as not only a search light but tractor beam... if it changed angles it would have to be on some spectrum variator and digital in nature for that bend... there was a solid light discovery of being able to slosh them around and then the recent trap them in one spot so put two and two together... if one can find the wave or frequency vary it in a field as a certain spectrum then it can hold other particles in it from that shadow particle being squeezed down kinda like aerogel works or memory metals where the grouping is loose or tight in its matrice yet can sheild out other particles and can go from loose to solid given the correct frequency and manipulated into shapes and back making it sort of magnetic in nature due to its tiny black hole mass if it could be made to align or ride a certain particle group abundant it as an affinity for commonly found to ride on.

Just brain storming possibility and possible effects so as a grain one can either take this as salt or sugar... just adding some mass that might trigger some thought or ideation into a larger conglomerate that may fit some piece or line of thinking not considered as usual so it is what it is. Im not trying to make it anything different as thats not my job but to someones job it is? Maybe they will in some manner and thats the point.

Good day.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Being able to manipulate light! That sounds like the ground work for so many great things! Projections of light, making force fields out of light! Sound like a holo deck maybe!

Being able to project and use light in ways that we have only yet to figure out.
All things at the base are forms of light right? Light is a measurement, and we understand it by the colors, and make up of our understanding.
This very well could expand our minds. If we are ready to understand.

And project this light in a new way!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: zysin5
Being able to manipulate light! That sounds like the ground work for so many great things!

We've been doing that since before Archimedes and his burning mirrors, though. Radio, that's another neat EM thing.

Projections of light, making force fields out of light! Sound like a holo deck maybe!

You can't make a force field out of light. Holograms don't work the way you see them on Star Trek and Star Wars - that's a plot device.

All things at the base are forms of light right?

No.

Light is a measurement, and we understand it by the colors, and make up of our understanding.

Light is EM radiation. You can measure it, but it's not a measurement.

This very well could expand our minds.
And project this light in a new way!

If these guys are right, you'll be able to project it with a non-integer angular momentum. That's a new way.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join