It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AWACS in Niagara Falls???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I live in western NY, between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. We do have an active airbase in our region, AFAIK they fly c130 and reapers out of the base, but today I saw something in my area that based on the flight path did not appear to be coming from or going to our base. It was a low altitude very large white plane with a rotating black and white disc on top...I immediately recognized it as an AWACS. I have never seen one in person and was blown away by it. I have seen refuelers quite often in the past and worked in the aviation industry for 18 years. The base was recently home to a refueling wing of the USAF(pretty sure not currently though) and plenty of really large cargo craft, ie c4, and c130's, and the base used to be home to plenty of jets and helicopters.

I mentioned it to my brother in law and he said he saw the same thing earlier in the week.

This was approximately 11:00am this morning, the plane was approx 6 mi SE of the base, the plane was on a Sw track, I would say at maybe 5000 ft alt. I pulled up plane flight tracker.com within minutes of the plane flying over but there was no info of anything in my immediate area.

Is there anyone in my area that has seen this bird around here? Is there any good reason it would be here??? Are they just getting it out of the south west while the GPS blackout testing is going on?

And ideas would be welcome! Should I finish my bugout bag quicker than anticipated???

Ranger351
edit on 11-6-2016 by Ranger351 because: Typo

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ranger351

US or Canadian markings?

Canadian / US air force have automatic flyover rights.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Could not make out any markings just the large white underbelly with the large black and white disk rotating on top.

It was out of place to be so low flying in the direction it was going, it wasn't a common flight path around here. Even with the base and buffalo airport nearby.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I watched it fly by a bunch of times yesterday as I was outside gardening.

I am about 4 miles north of the NFAFB in Lewiston.

It was a twin engine prop plane With the awacs looking radar on top.

I have never seen it here before. Saw an osprey last year, that was cool.

I will await our resident aviation experts opinions.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Canada doesn't fly AWACS. They have onboard controllers but the E-3s are either US or NATO.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Training mission. They operate in many areas training to train the operators to work in various conditions. They've been up over Niagara several times. It's not common, but it happens.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Canada doesn't fly AWACS. They have onboard controllers but the E-3s are either US or NATO.

Good to know.. thanks..

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Saudi Arabia also has a few. You see them and the NATO aircraft up at Boeing Field all the time. Occasionally even an Air Force aircraft up there.

The NATO AWACS are fun because they play well in a couple of conspiracies. The aircraft belong to NATO, and are housed in Germany, but "belong" to Luxembourg, so that they technically meet the requirements for being a NATO member.

Both NATO and the US are starting to talk about replacing the E-3, possibly with something along the lines of the Wedgetail. And by starting, I mean that someone high up finally realized that the E-3 is based on the 707, and the 707 hasn't been built in decades, which means parts are getting scarce. To combat that, they're retiring several us airframes to the Boneyard, to part out for the rest of the fleet. Being that the Block 40/45 upgrade just entered service in 2014, it'll be at least 10-15 years before we even start a replacement program IMO.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Used to live in Lockport Ny, saw this same aircraft a few years back flying around. Fwiw

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
I watched it fly by a bunch of times yesterday as I was outside gardening.

I am about 4 miles north of the NFAFB in Lewiston.

It was a twin engine prop plane With the awacs looking radar on top.

I have never seen it here before. Saw an osprey last year, that was cool.

I will await our resident aviation experts opinions.

Very cool, I only saw the large jet powered one flying around, it's pretty cool when they bring some different to the area.

I'll never forget seeing the stealths practicing over wheatfield in the late 90's, or the horrible blue angels tragedy at the air show...never saw the osprey though. Did you see the huge Russian transporter (Antonov 225) that was parked at the airport side of things a few (4-5?) years back?

Thanks for commenting, it's good to know I wasn't the only one who's seen them around!

Ranger351

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Used to live in Lockport Ny, saw this same aircraft a few years back flying around. Fwiw

I work in lockport, this wouldn't be the only strange sighting in that city
Thank you, for confirming it's been around!

Ranger351

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

You almost certainly saw an E-2C or D. The Navy uses them on carriers. The Hawkeye does the same mission, but with a smaller crew, and doesn't stay airborne as long, since its primary mission is to protect the carrier group.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Saudi Arabia also has a few. You see them and the NATO aircraft up at Boeing Field all the time. Occasionally even an Air Force aircraft up there.

The NATO AWACS are fun because they play well in a couple of conspiracies. The aircraft belong to NATO, and are housed in Germany, but "belong" to Luxembourg, so that they technically meet the requirements for being a NATO member.

Both NATO and the US are starting to talk about replacing the E-3, possibly with something along the lines of the Wedgetail. And by starting, I mean that someone high up finally realized that the E-3 is based on the 707, and the 707 hasn't been built in decades, which means parts are getting scarce. To combat that, they're retiring several us airframes to the Boneyard, to part out for the rest of the fleet. Being that the Block 40/45 upgrade just entered service in 2014, it'll be at least 10-15 years before we even start a replacement program IMO.

I was involved with some planning on trying to keep the aging E-4B and VC-25's going as long as possible (like 20 more years). I have since left that position and company though and don't know what became of the situation... I was told the pilots really liked them, and apparently the pilots of these particular planes have some "pull" as to what they fly

It is incredible seeing the advanced age and seemingly outdated technology of some of the boxes that come off of planes these days in the avionics repair world...the way warranties and service contracts were structured, no one outside of the oems would even start to see the "new" stuff until the planes were 10-15 years old. It's a tough game to stay current in, the oems pretty much refuse to let you repair and maintain their product, by not giving you access to the manuals or test equipment, and it doesn't matter if the stuff was built in the 60's or yesterday, they still make it hard to play...they won't supply parts or tech data, or at least not reasonably without impossibly hoops to jump through...

new topics

top topics

join