It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glastonbury 2016: There's going to be a women-only venue called The Sisterhood

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

The Glastonbury gender festival apparently has music too!

edit on 7/6/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Safe spaces are needed in a world where there is only one right opinion.
edit on 7-6-2016 by Winstonian because: Oops

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Kandinsky

I'm seeing it as harmless. Camaraderie, whatever. A girl's club, a passing phase.

While the other is a way of life clearly geared toward oppressing and controlling women.

I think these girls just want to have fun and feel exclusive/special for a little while.

And yet if a private members only golf club that happens to be made up of men decide the same they are classed as prehistoric and hateful?

I think sometimes some people protest too much.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

I'm seeing it as harmless. Camaraderie, whatever. A girl's club, a passing phase.

While the other is a way of life clearly geared toward oppressing and controlling women.

I think these girls just want to have fun and feel exclusive/special for a little while.

And yet if a private members only golf club that happens to be made up of men decide the same they are classed as prehistoric and hateful?

It all boils down to intent.

Now why do those good old boys at the golf club refuse to accept (still to this day - 200+ years and counting) women for membership?

Why do these people who self-identify as women want to have an educational venue with workshops and music for a few hours and not create a 200+ year exclusive club?
edit on 7-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Now why do those good old boys at the golf club refuse to accept (still to this day - 200+ years and counting) women for membership?

Why do these people who self-identify as women want to have an educational venue with workshops and music for a few hours and not create a 200+ year exclusive club?

That's really up to them. I don't agree with segregation such as either example, but with the golf club I accept their right as a members only club to decide who they wish to join, as much as if it was a women's only club I would accept their right to do the same.

I don't particularly care one way or another, but the title of this OP should state 'women and men who identify as women' otherwise it's misleading. Are women who identify as men allowed in?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   

That's really up to them. I don't agree with segregation such as either example, but with the golf club I accept their right as a members only club to decide who they wish to join, as much as if it was a women's only club I would accept their right to do the same.

I don't particularly care one way or another, but the title of this OP should state 'women and men who identify as women' otherwise it's misleading. Are women who identify as men allowed in?

If they were then it would be called the sisterhood and brotherhood. The intent is educational workshops pertaining to self-identification as women and specifically to the special issues. Women transitioning to men have different issues, therefore a different set of educational materials would be needed. Who knows their next festival may evolve in that direction. As for now, one baby step at a time.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

If they were then it would be called the sisterhood and brotherhood. The intent is educational workshops pertaining to self-identification as women and specifically to the special issues. Women transitioning to men have different issues, therefore a different set of educational materials would be needed. Who knows their next festival may evolve in that direction. As for now, one baby step at a time.

This is starting to send more like a 'statement' event than anything more beneficial. What workshops are you suggesting a man who prefers to identify as a woman requires that is specifically only available from women? I only ask because it seems you're actually talking more about a feminist event, opened up for the festival to people with a penis who identify themselves as a woman. I personally have absolutely zero issue with that, but let's not try and make it into something it is not. I should have guessed when you started talking about signing and dancing.

I would be careful using the term 'transitioning' as that is talking about something more physical than mental identification.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

This is starting to send more like a 'statement' event than anything more beneficial. What workshops are you suggesting a man who prefers to identify as a woman requires that is specifically only available from women? I only ask because it seems you're actually talking more about a feminist event, opened up for the festival to people with a penis who identify themselves as a woman. I personally have absolutely zero issue with that, but let's not try and make it into something it is not. I should have guessed when you started talking about signing and dancing.

I would be careful using the term 'transitioning' as that is talking about something more physical than mental identification.

You are reading more into this than there is...for someone who has zero issue with it.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   

You are reading more into this than there is...for someone who has zero issue with it.

It took my interest, that's what this site is about. It's all a bit moot now, tickets for the event have sold out so it's not as if people could now decide to attend who otherwise wouldn't have wanted to.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   

It took my interest, that's what this site is about. It's all a bit moot now, tickets for the event have sold out so it's not as if people could now decide to attend who otherwise wouldn't have wanted to.

That must have more to do with the space-holding capacity. It is a small venue with specific educational and supportive goals, for a specific small group of marginalized people. It is not a free-for-all party.
edit on 7-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

That must have more to do with the space-holding capacity. It is a small venue with specific educational and supportive goals, for a specific small group of marginalized people. It is not a free-for-all party.

Sorry, you misunderstand. Tickets for Glastonbury are now sold out, have been for quite a while.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Sorry, you misunderstand. Tickets for Glastonbury are now sold out, have been for quite a while.

I understand that, I replied as to why they were sold out; small venue, with a focus.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I understand that, I replied as to why they were sold out; small venue, with a focus.

Sorry, you still misunderstand. Glastonbury has been sold out for months. Glastonbury is not a small venue. I have no idea if this sub venue has 'sold out'. If you haven't got a ticket to Glastonbury you can't attend this event. If you didn't know about the event (but would have bought a ticket if you did), the option has gone.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Sorry, you still misunderstand. Glastonbury has been sold out for months. Glastonbury is not a small venue. I have no idea if this sub venue has 'sold out'. If you haven't got a ticket to Glastonbury you can't attend this event. If you didn't know about the event (but would have bought a ticket if you did), the option has gone.

Sounds like an organized convention doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   

You've lost me now, Glastonbury is a festival, people pay tickets to come in, when all tickets are sold then that's that (officially, at least). Not sure what you mean by organised convention. Never mind.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

You've lost me now, Glastonbury is a festival, people pay tickets to come in, when all tickets are sold then that's that (officially, at least). Not sure what you mean by organised convention. Never mind.

Convention definition:

a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern.

This meeting/festival will also offer music.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Convention definition:

a meeting or formal assembly, as of representatives or delegates, for discussion of and action on particular matters of common concern.

Yes, I know what a convention is, Glastonbury isn't a meeting/festival, it's a festival. Sorry if that confuses you. I'll bid you farewell at this point.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Convention definition:

Yes, I know what a convention is, Glastonbury isn't a meeting/festival, it's a festival. Sorry if that confuses you. I'll bid you farewell at this point.

It's main objective is support for each other and workshops dealing with diversity and inclusion for a specific marginalized group, with music not being the main focus. Sorry if that confuses you.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Convention definition:

It's main objective is support for each other and workshops dealing with diversity and inclusion for a specific marginalized group, with music not being the main focus. Sorry if that confuses you.

I don't think it's me that's confused, but that's neither here nor there. I wish you well.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Convention definition:

I don't think it's me that's confused, but that's neither here nor there. I wish you well.

Well, let's say we both do not have a meeting of the minds. Keep well too.

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join