It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glastonbury 2016: There's going to be a women-only venue called The Sisterhood

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Again, there is the real concern about safety and you and everyone else here knows that to be true; no myth.

georgiaequality.org...

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 6-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: InTheLight

Well, with respect, that is not what festival is for. It is for universal unity, not limited unity. It is not a place for political, racial, gender based or sexual segregation. A separate event would be all very well, but festival is about everyone, not individual groups. If myself and a trans mate of mine went to a festival, and she pissed off to some secret place for the day, I would be upset. Why? Because my mate and I are friends, and I know her a damn sight better than some fundamentalist douche, who wouldn't know the meaning of community if it's dictionary definition was tattooed on their forehead.

This is how it IS:

No one has permission to take themselves out of society. They have permission to be in society, no matter what they do in it. Community is not about having everyone around you be the same, or think the same, or have the same problems or advantages. Community is about people from different walks of life living, and being together in harmony. Nothing is achieved by creating exclusive spaces at communal events, which only contain a singular demographic within a given sample of the population.

You cannot promote an individual's rights to be part of a community without coming across intolerance, by creating spaces where ONLY persons who fit into certain pigeon holes can go. You can only achieve greater division, by hiding away in a safe space. Utter bloody foolishness.

I like your thinking, I really do. I had to read your post twice, mind, just to make sure I got your angle right.

I can't say I disagree with you at all in respect of your idea of community.

Lot of idiots at big festivals though aren't there? Maybe some women just don't want to be spending the weekend fending off unwanted advances or worse?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yes, like in the hospital with a cracked skull.

www.washingtonblade.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   

That too.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

That too.

www.opendemocracy.net...

What should be a concern for us all as a society is the rising extreme violence against these people.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

There's violence against all people....The question is, why?

Religion? Culture? Or is society becoming simply dysfunctional?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

And who provides safety? Some bunch of goons with an agenda, or the people who look out for their friends?

I will bet you any sum of money you like, that if it came down to it, a good friend would be a damn sight more protection than would be offered by some glorified VIP section. The guards at the gate are not going to offer their life and limb in defence of some randomer they do not know from Adam. A good friend would rip the heavens down in flames for a loved one, so you do the mathematics.

I am a straight male, but I have been fighting discrimination my whole bloody life. There was an awful lot of anti-metal head sentiment down my way when I was a kid, and I took my licks, just because I was somehow different to everyone else I knew at the time. I am the definition of the word outlier. Hell, I don't even properly fit in around other metal heads all that often.

What I have learned is that hiding away behind a perceived wall, only adds to ones issues. To face them, and be successful, you need two things. You need friends who would walk through the ashen wastes of hell on your say so, and you need to get your head out of the place where you were a victim, and into the place where your will is so strong that anyone seeking to break it realises the futility of the idea.

NOTHING else will come to anything good, only amplify the problem. I know this because regardless of the particular reason that an oppressed person is seen as other than, different from the majority, the solution is to dominate those who seek to dominate, to crush those who seek to crush, to confront and combat the things which seek to restrain ones freedom, or to take ones life. Male or female, non binary, black, white, Muslim, Christian, atheist, it makes not the slightest difference. If one is oppressed, one must refuse to be oppressed. If one is assaulted, one must make ones attacker bleed. If freedoms are restricted, they must be reclaimed and the oppressor crushed and humiliated.

Equality means that the solutions to our issues are the same no matter who we are, or what makes us different to others. I was oppressed, and I freed myself, with the aid of friends. But nothing is gained without risk. Freedom least of all.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I am sure there will be many friends in attendance at the festival, but the point of it is to join in support, heal, and learn diversity not to be expect or be ready for a rumble. That is usually expected a parades and/or political rallies. Let them have their special gathering and let them have a moment of peace.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I don't understand why, because I don't hate. It just isn't in my make up.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Well you are lucky, luckier than the vast majority of people, almost everyone hates someone else

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Well you are lucky, luckier than the vast majority of people, almost everyone hates someone else

I don't see that in my daily encounters with people. Stress, anxiety and dysfunction - yes, but hate...nope.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight We're getting off subject a bit.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

a reply to: InTheLight We're getting off subject a bit.

Exploring why people hate and why people specifically hate transsexuals?

bilerico.lgbtqnation.com...

A straight, non-transgender friend and ally summed up what we need the most though:

"I cannot comprehend what a person who identifies as transgender endures. As a human being, I don't have to comprehend to feel compassion and acceptance. It's okay to not understand. It's not okay to demean and belittle because of your own personal shortcomings and inability to understand."

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

It's a thread exploring the rights wrongs and whys of a segregated area at Glastonbury. Why people hate would be a thread of it's own (That would probably go on forever)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

It's a thread exploring the rights wrongs and whys of a segregated area at Glastonbury. Why people hate would be a thread of it's own (That would probably go on forever)

But the hate breeds the violence (and rising), which is probably one of the major motivating factors why it is only for people who identify as women.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   

But the hate breeds the violence (and rising), which is probably one of the major motivating factors why it is only for people who identify as women.

See, I'm not sure it's all to do with hate and violence.
Some of it is going to be because some women don't want to deal with men trying to hit on them all the time, some will be people who don't want to feel others eyes on them because they aren't the same as everyone else.

Hate and violence are something over and above those more mundane (but equally valid concerns)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Some of it is going to be because some women don't want to deal with men trying to hit on them all the time, some will be people who don't want to feel others eyes on them because they aren't the same as everyone else.

Hate and violence are something over and above those more mundane (but equally valid concerns)

Yes, these too are valid concerns which they should not have to deal with at a marginalized group support and educational venue. There will be many other opportunities to tackle these problems outside of this one function.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Yes, these too are valid concerns which they should not have to deal with at a marginalized group support and educational venue. There will be many other opportunities to tackle these problems outside of this one function.

True, though I read the op and figured it was just a way for some people to feel at ease yet still attend a big event, rather than any big plan to solve the deeper issues behind all this stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   

True, though I read the op and figured it was just a way for some people to feel at ease yet still attend a big event, rather than any big plan to solve the deeper issues behind all this stuff.

Exactly, that's how I perceive it as well.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
I think men need to sit down with one another and honestly ask themselves:

Is going to festivals to get drunk and harass women something we want to endorse? Wouldn't a man turn to his dude/bro and tell him to "STFU about all that 12 year old crap and talk about something authentic and interesting for a change."

Like climbing 14'ers, or curing breast cancer, curing bacon, or walking on the surface of mars, barefoot?

As a man with a mother, a lover and a daughter, I don't feel attacked when a woman wants to spend time with the girls. If she has anything to say about me, let it be good things. I have only good things to say about her.

Trust me buddy, while you're here white knighting, your girl is not talking about how great you are.

You seem to pop up in every thread railing against "tough guys." An odd fixation on your part.
edit on 6-6-2016 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join