It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US hiker who died kept journal of ordeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

A hiker on the US' Appalachian Trail, whose remains were discovered last year, survived at least 26 days after getting lost and kept a journal of her ordeal and ultimately resigned herself to the idea she was going to die. Geraldine Largay, who was from Brentwood, Tennessee, hiked to higher ground in a failed attempt to get a mobile phone signal, and text messages sent to her husband went undelivered, according to investigatory documents. "When you find my body, please call my husband George ... and my daughter Kerry," Largay, who was 66 years old, wrote in a page that was torn out of her journal. "It will be the greatest kindness for them to know that I am dead where you found me - no matter how many years from now."

The Maine Warden Service released more than 1500 pages of documents on Wednesday in response to Freedom of Access Act requests by several media organisations.
This is no doubt a very traumatic day in the lives of Geraldine's husband and daughter, but hopefully it will help them to find some closure in the loss of a loved one. R.I.P.[url=http://]http://www.news.com.au/world/breaking-news/us-hiker-who-died-kept-journal-of-ordeal/news-story/c790a4f5ff15c4ab822a7d54feb6f106[/ur l]
edit on 26-5-2016 by tommo39 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

a grim tail

here is a working link to the update : news reportage

this kind of senario - is the stuff of my nightmares - from either end [ victim or rescuer ]

and shows how a series of small incidents leads to fatality

RIP , mrs Largay . and may your family find some solace in this development

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I used the "insert a link" button TWICE, but it would NOT reduce the address to a "link", don't know why.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

What fortitude!

To face death while retaining the presence of mind to journalise the process, speaks to vast reserves of willpower. Though it is sad that the hiker died, that will alone was not enough to save her, those who remain to mourn her loss, must also retain the ability to feel proud of her, because for all that she passed from this world as a result of misfortune and misstep, she met the end as well as anyone could, with dignity, with honour, and in full connection with her faculties.

Thoughts and prayers for the relatives, and a sturdy salute to a woman of exceptional tenacity. Rest in peace, Mrs Largay.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

It's a problem with the coding....erase the "]http://" from the post and it should work just fine.

Sad story.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Indeed, very sad. She was only two miles away from the trail(?) and the search team had come within 100 yards of her campsite. It's hard to fathom in a sense that should could not find her way back, being experienced.

Though, as the articles about the story say, she may have been having issues with her sense of direction at the time. As well as she didn't want to bring along equipment and other supplies(lighten her pack) that could have had her found quickly.

Will be interesting to see what David Paulides has to say. With taking into context the more paranormal/mysterious side to this, without dismissing the evidence.

Regaurds
edit on 26-5-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Its unfortunate that she did not know how to feed herself in the woods. You can probably find enough insects, worms and grubs to stay alive; maybe some tubers. A way to make fire would have been helpful.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
SPAM REMOVED BY ADMIN

edit on Jun 20th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
SPAM REMOVED BY ADMIN

edit on Jun 20th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2016 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: readnewsorbestupid

I find it somewhat ironic that you refer to the dead hiker as "stupid", despite the fact that you seem to have totally misread the part of the article which mentions that she had no mobile phone signal, ergo, there was no cell service. It is reasonable, therefore, to suggest that any GPRS device she had on her would have had similar difficulty in getting a clear read of her position, leave alone transmitting that information to her directly.

Most hikers do NOT carry milspec GPRS locator gear with them, or have access to dedicated satellite lookdown capability for their operational area. She was, if I recall the story correctly, a seasoned and experienced hiker, testament to which is the fact that she survived almost a month out there in the wilderness with no support. The fact that even an experienced outdoors person such as herself could fall victim to becoming lost, is not an indicator of her stupidity, rather a caution to anyone involved in outdoor pursuits, that despite the awe inspiring beauty of nature, regardless of ones experience, no matter what precautions one might take, chance and nature can conspire to take your life.

She was far from stupid, if she had the presence of mind to journalise her time, lost in the wilderness. Hopefully her journals will be useful to those who walk the trails after her.

new topics

top topics

join