It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official Titan Pictures Post

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vajrayana

Hell Yeah!

IF YOU TAKE THIS PICTURE LOAD IT DOWN ON YOUR DESKTOP THEN ZOOM IN ---ZOOM IN AGAIN AND YOU WILL SEE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE. AS WELL AS BUILDINGS. ZOOM IN LOOK THROUGH THE BLOTCH THAT HAS BEEN PUT ON IT.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

IF YOU TAKE THIS PICTURE LOAD IT DOWN ON YOUR DESKTOP THEN ZOOM IN ---ZOOM IN AGAIN AND YOU WILL SEE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE. AS WELL AS BUILDINGS. ZOOM IN LOOK THROUGH THE BLOTCH THAT HAS BEEN PUT ON IT.

LOL....I do see some cool resemblances to faces & edifices in there too,or perhaps statues-could be the Easter Island of Titan.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
14 January 2005 3:20 a.m. EST: John Dodsworth, of ESA's ESOC mission control center at Darmstadt, said Huygens is about two hours from reaching Titan interface - about 1,270 kilometers above the surface.The probe is right on target and will land well within its target, he added

www.space.com...

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

Just added for perspective.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Spacedoubt,
Thanks for the meshes. It gives us all a pretty clear idea of the topography here.

As for other things... to be very clear, I do NOT believe that I saw the 'missing pic' that some other people are talking about. The pic they are talking about sounds like something that was posted during the initial wave of data releases. What I saw was a processed image the next day... and one that I think a webpage editor removed simply because he had newer shots to put up. I do not believe that I saw the mystery pic that was attached to the CNN article.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Scientists estimate Huygens landing site to lie within white circle of image.

The link below also displays a great flash animation of sequenced images from the Descent Imager/Spectral Radiometer (DISR) showing a passenger's view of events if aboard Huygens,descending from an altitude of 152 km downward.As the probe descends, ground features can be discerned as Huygens emerges from the clouds.The ground features seem to rotate as Huygens spins slowly under its parachute.

www.esa.int...

Click on the animation on page to enlarge.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Vajrayana,

Thats pretty cool..The animation of the landing.
It really helps put things in prespective..
Thats the hardest part with these low quality images.
It took me a few frames, to get "situated" but once I did,
I could sense the rotation.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Hi Spacedoubt,
I found your post of composite images the most revealing of Titan's geography/topology yet-much more clear & detailed then ESA's version-thanks for posting it,I've been studying the descent sequence all day, I find it dizzying but most spectacular nonetheless - a marvel of engineering in precision especially under such unknown factors & conditions, let alone from almost 800 million miles away,and those parachutes sure passed the test. Not to complain in anyway,but with the exception of ground images 110-111,once Huygens reached 1 kilometer from the surface,it would've been a bonus to have seen a few more images w/slightly better resolution & detail [images 105-109]-maybe ESA's holding out & will add more...lol...maybe not.Anyway after reviewing ESA's copyright rules,I'm deciding whether to do a flash capture,since there seems to be a few new images in there.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
notice how mars is relalted to earth and titan is related to earth.. and mars and titan both have orange surfaces.. i dont know.. just something i picked up on.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Download & Witness Huygens Landing on Titan-*requires Quicktime

planetary.org...

Beats the heck out of those weak amusement park rides

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
these are truely wonderful pictures, i just get a huge sense of acomplishment when i see this pics.

Also did anyone else notice that in the animations there are Km missing, it will got from like 17 to 15, and stuff like that, and at the end we see every .1 kn, until .5 then surface shot, dont you think the last .5 would have the best pics? Why are these not shown?

[edit on 1/20/2005 by TKainZero]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I thought this image was interesting. To bad there is no high resolution version.

[edit on 21-1-2005 by IntelRetard]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Intel,
I saw that too, but in a more 'vertical' picture. Though it does look like a canal of some sort, it's probably just a river that was formed when methane filled a natural geological fold. Some lakes/rivers in waterways that were formed by hydroelectric dams look like that.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I'm not usually a believer in such image interpretations offered by the like of Hoglan or whatever his name is. However this looks like a 90 degree wall to me at first glance. Either way I would like to see a better resolution of the cliff area to understand the geological processes on Titan.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Also did anyone else notice that in the animations there are Km missing, it will got from like 17 to 15, and stuff like that, and at the end we see every .1 kn, until .5 then surface shot, dont you think the last .5 would have the best pics? Why are these not shown?

[edit on 1/20/2005 by TKainZero]

Yes, I too noticed the peculiar lack of (missing?withheld?) photos for certain km ranges of the descent sequence,& then the bizarre infrequency of available images from the lower km ranges-I think there is a good chance ESA still possess certain frames of the descent rather than Huygens not capturing them,especially at 30 km when Huygens emerged from the clouds & the final .5 km which I think would contain more detailed aerials then what was released,keeping in mind the descent took at least 2 1/2 hours,and following touchdown,transmitted data back for an additional 3 hours.Also the strange conflicting reports of how many images were received,from anywhere like 350 to 750 depending on the source.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I agree Intel, resembles a river/channel/canal of sorts, perhaps even a mining shaft w/chute from another angle.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Huygens DISR 3 frame mosaic detailing the high ridge area including the flow down into a major river channel from different sources.

Huygens DISR image of a dark plain area on Titan, seen during descent to the landing site, that indicates flow around bright 'islands'. The areas below and above the bright islands may be at different elevations.

Huygens DISR image of a bright linear feature suggesting an area where water ice may have been extruded onto the surface. Also visible are short, stubby dark channels that may have been formed by 'springs' of liquid methane rather than methane 'rain'.

"Geological evidence for precipitation, erosion, mechanical abrasion and other fluvial activity says that the physical processes shaping Titan are much the same as those shaping Earth."

Titan has extraordinarily Earth-like meteorology and geology. Images have shown a complex network of narrow drainage channels running from brighter highlands to lower, flatter, dark regions. These channels merge into river systems running into lakebeds featuring offshore 'islands' and 'shoals' remarkably similar to those on Earth.

strong evidence for liquids flowing on Titan. However, the fluid involved is methane, a simple organic compound that can exist as a liquid or gas at Titan's sub-170°C temperatures, rather than water as on Earth.

Titan's rivers and lakes appear dry at the moment, but rain may have occurred not long ago.

...material beneath the surface's crust has the consistency of loose sand, possibly the result of methane rain falling on the surface over eons, or the wicking of liquids from below towards the surface.

Heat generated by Huygens warmed the soil beneath the probe and both the GCMS and SSP detected bursts of methane gas boiled out of surface material, reinforcing methane's principal role in Titan's geology and atmospheric meteorology -- forming clouds and precipitation that erodes and abrades the surface.

DISR surface images show small rounded pebbles in a dry riverbed. Spectra measurements (colour) are consistent with a composition of dirty water ice rather than silicate rocks. However, these are rock-like solid at Titan's temperatures.

Titan's soil appears to consist at least in part of precipitated deposits of the organic haze that shrouds the planet. This dark material settles out of the atmosphere. When washed off high elevations by methane rain, it concentrates at the bottom of the drainage channels and riverbeds contributing to the dark areas seen in DISR images.

New, stunning evidence based on finding atmospheric argon 40 indicates that Titan has experienced volcanic activity generating not lava, as on Earth, but water ice and ammonia.

While many of Earth's familiar geophysical processes occur on Titan, the chemistry involved is quite different. Instead of liquid water, Titan has liquid methane. Instead of silicate rocks, Titan has frozen water ice. Instead of dirt, Titan has hydrocarbon particles settling out of the atmosphere, and instead of lava, Titanian volcanoes spew very cold ice.

Titan is an extraordinary world having Earth-like geophysical processes operating on exotic materials in very alien conditions.
W
W

Got a little carried away on the quotes but these are revolutionary findings...Huygens came through BIGTIME!And Cassini looks strong... For more amaz-z-zing details see link below.

www.esa.int...

[edit on 21-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

[edit on 21-1-2005 by Vajrayana]

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

I like this image

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Hell Yeah!

Looking at this image I cannot help but notice what looks to be a wall with a 90* degree angle [extreme left of photo] and what looks like a building complex of a sort just behind it.
Are there any more close-ups of this image? i have scanned the related Titan photo and NASA sites but haven't found one.

Thanks for your time and comment

-sincerely
-shai

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Dear group,'

Have been chasing raw imahes of from the Huygen;s probe and have discovered more examples of 90* angles on Titan.
They look like walls to me, but perhaps my eyes are playing tricks.

So tell me...do you see what I see?

esamultimedia.esa.int...
[lower frame upper quadrant]

-Shai

posted on Jan, 24 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThorGodOfThunder Did anyone else see the article at CNN.com, about how the lander had just landed on Saturn, etc....

Well this i read when i got home from work yesterday, about 4:45pm cst i would guess... thereabouts...

What was interesting is on their homoepage they have previews of the articles that show the first few lines and the image etc...

Well in the verbage in the article it said something to the effect of:

"One image that NASA posted on its site was taken down immediatly. And the ESA (i think thats what they are abbreviated as) refuses to post the image on their website" Thor

Wait, are you saying the missing images are of SATURN (as stated in the quote above) or of TITAN? Which probe was it sent from Cassini (sent to Saturn and it's other moons) or Hyugens (spelling?... which was sent to Titan)?

Is the Cassini probe supposed to (or did it already?) try to land on Saturn??? I'm asking because it was my understanding that Saturn has no real hard "surface", that it's just a big ball of gas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looking at these images I see nothing that convincingly resembles anything "man-made" (or unnatural). I see mountains, Islands, rivers, and waves. I'm curious to see what's in this missing image we're talking about... prehaps it's an image of the surface with formations that look curiously man-made????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for LANDING ON THE MOON again...

In what manner are you speaking? I ask because if we simply do it in the fassion that's been done before, you're really gaining nothing. Sending two or three people there isn't really going to help... is it? What would you hope to learn from this?

I'd suggest we need to start shipping equipment and supplies to build a station on the moon. It would also make an excellent location for an observatory (telescope) since there's no atmosphere... perhaps building a huge telescope there would be a capitol idea... one that would dwarf Hubble. This would also be one heck of a lot easier to manage since it'd be ground based instead of orbital. Make it solar powered, and make it remote controlled and poof... great new telescope you can operate from earth just like Hubble.

Honestly what I'd like is some exploration of the far side of the moon. I don't think we've ever seen it, which is curious as to why we're exploring Titan, and yet we've never seen half of our nearest (MUCH closer) neighbor. This should also end the "reptoids live in the moon" conversations that get so annoying... since they keep saying there's a base on the far side. If there is... wow... but I'd be much less supprised to find nothing of the sort.

[edit on 24-1-2005 by Greyhaven7]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join