It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At the Air Force Museum

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So we had some down time in Ohio, near the Dayton area, and when we went to the mall yesterday, we saw the signs for the Air Force museum. So my other half, being the incredibly awesome person that she is, said "We'll go tomorrow". So I spent a few hours today at the museum, having the time of my life. And no, there's no chance in hell of me posting anywhere near all of the pictures that I took. I'd be here all night, and this thread would be seven pages from the start.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   
amazing, would love to go to that museum, very interested in aviation. thanks for sharing!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Top photos, I love the actual photo logs that can be found on line.

And I like this too: Virtual tour of AFB museum

The R&D section is a wonderful thing.

EDIT: What is in the last photo?

edit on 13-5-2016 by Jonjonj because: cos adding

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I envy you Sir.
I especially like the pics of the Me 163 Komet and of the Japenese OhKa.
One went off hoping he would come back, the latter knowing he WONT come back.

ETA: You should come down to my neck of the woods and visit the WW2 museum. (If you haven't already)
IT is top notch. It respects all who fought in that God awful war. No matter what side the combatants fought for.
edit on 13-5-2016 by Spader because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

It's the XB-70. They moved the R&D and Presidential aircraft into Building 4, which opens June 8th, so I had to get pictures from the Memorial Garden. Just above the tail is the X-29.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Awesome pics mate. Does anyone have any idea what plane the tail on the last photo belongs to?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I see you got the back side of the XB-70. Did you take the ride over to the base to get into the hangar? President Ford's(?) Air Force One (B-707) is also in that hangar that they allow people to walk through.

Seeing the XB-70 up-close was amazing. I've misplaced my pictures from my time there.

Hope you also got to see the B-36 Peacemaker bomber (one of the largest wartime planes ever built) with its 10 engines (4 jet, 6 prop). Can't remember if they had any fighters attached to it in the museum or not.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

That was a huge aircraft, right? Damn that looks big!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: GnarlyDon
Does anyone have any idea what plane the tail on the last photo belongs to?

That's the XB-70 Valkyrie (predecessor to the B-1 bomber), the second-fastest plane ever built in the world next to the SR-71:

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 13-5-2016 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

I've been on that Air Force One in the past, when it was active. But they moved all that over to Building 4 now, so it was all blocked off. They still had the B-36 where you could see it. I didn't see anything attached to it.
edit on 5/13/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

It was actually smaller than I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be huge, but it was actually smaller than I expected.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Yeah, I just read that they opened a 4th hangar. Hopefully everything is a little more spaced out. When I went, the hangar where the XB-70 resided was packed like a sardine can with aircraft. It was hard to get around and get good views of the XB-70 with so many aircraft packed into that particular hangar.

If they spaced everything out a bit more, I may make a trip there again sometime in the near future.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Great photos! The second to last photo, why is the nose of the plane so big?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What's the Seafire/Spitfire looking thing....?

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I absolutely love that place. Zaph, if you haven't been to the R&D/Presidential hanger I highly recommend it.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

It was a telemetry aircraft for the Apollo program. It used the radar mounted under the nose to track the spacecraft, and later the shuttle and other satellites, and even missiles during tests.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Thank you. I wanted to also thank you for sharing your photos!

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

It's a Spit, stripped down for the reconnaissance role, flown by the US Army.

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LeviB

I'm coming back after they open that hangar up, just so I can go to it. It's got the fun stuff that I really wanted to see. I did find out that at least three of the aircraft that were in areas open to the public, are aircraft that I have been on when they were active.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join