It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I grew up, like most people do.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I grew up, like most people do. Yet i look back to my childhood for comfort and fantasizing about the ideals i was taught. My childhood was a fantasy, like most kids in the western world is. It was full of joy and a bit of sadness.

I was influenced and taught how to behave but maybe foremost how to think among my peers, maybe you could call the rules of a playground. Without these simple traits i would probably be in a place where its cold and likely blame everyone else for the unfair childhood i was privileged to.

Even a movie character portrayed by Sylvester Stallone is more tuned into reality than a few fraternities i have seen passing by during my years..

I sum it up as Rocky once said.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward."

I grew up like most kids do, learning the hard way..
edit on 12-5-2016 by PanPiper because: image

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: PanPiper

I grew up too , sucks.
Although I have held on to some of the younger me , it's who I am.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Just think how different you would be if you got a trophy every time when you were young.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I grew up too, but like Gortex, I keep some, maybe more, of the younger me.

Most people have hard times as they grow up. You are quite right in the quote " It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it."

I have been 'beaten to my knees', but I got up. Several times. One time was actually news-worthy.

The character Rocky's words are great.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I started and flagged this because I'm interested to see where the conversation goes. Reading the thread title instantly resonated with me. I feel that I've been going through my own accelerated maturation process since my daughter was born several years ago, but then I must assume that many (if not all) parents do.

I'm assuming (based on the Rocky quote) that you see toughness and resolve in the face of disappointment as a marker of having "grown up". Is that tied directly to what you perceive as the fantasy of your childhood? If so, I would listen if you care to elaborate on that fantasy. What would have made your childhood less fantastic, and do you think that would have been better in the long run?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Just think how different you would be if you got a trophy every time when you were young.

That is OT. And participation rewards were in place when I was a child. It is not a new thing. Many ppl just don;t show up. Showing up and contributing is worth an award if it is an event that gives awards or certificates. Blutone22, wow.
edit on 12-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

You sound like you need a safe place.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Young, old or in between, who cares....everyday's a party at my house.

Drinkin, dancin, playin guitars and raising hell, reality or fantasy....it's up to you
edit on 12-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial

I started and flagged this because I'm interested to see where the conversation goes. Reading the thread title instantly resonated with me. I feel that I've been going through my own accelerated maturation process since my daughter was born several years ago, but then I must assume that many (if not all) parents do.

I'm assuming (based on the Rocky quote) that you see toughness and resolve in the face of disappointment as a marker of having "grown up". Is that tied directly to what you perceive as the fantasy of your childhood? If so, I would listen if you care to elaborate on that fantasy. What would have made your childhood less fantastic, and do you think that would have been better in the long run?

Havinf a child is a HUGE milestone in life,but there are others.

link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I was one of those kids. Well, not trophies, but cheap printed-out "certificates of achievement", ribbons, pins, etc.

link   

We will never know will we

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Look. I don't need a safe place. And giving 5 year olds a 'certificate of participation' is not a bad thing. It is actually a good thing. It will cause them to do better in future events.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What's that they say, "Age is a mindset?"

I'm going to be that "crazy grandfather/uncle" who is babbling on about conspiracy theories and the like, probably will get tattoos at the age of 50 + and will most certainly surprise my younger folks with the music I listen to lol I can't wait to be that guy. Well, I can wait. I'm building up to it, all of this right now is just practice

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

Raise a proper human and you succeeded in life..

link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial

I was one of those kids. Well, not trophies, but cheap printed-out "certificates of achievement", ribbons, pins, etc.

It should have made you feel good for showing up when many didn't.

It goes into adulthood. I walk 33miles in a walkathon, I damn well expect a piece of paper, no matter what number I came in lol.
edit on 12-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

No, English is not my first language.. And you made no sense with your attempt on psycho analyzing.. You wanna give it another shot, cause you came of as sounding, not very smart.. but i believe you think you did..

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I had zero control over the reward system in my school, anyhow.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Look. I don't need a safe place. And giving 5 year olds a 'certificate of participation' is not a bad thing. It is actually a good thing. It will cause them to do better in future events.

I didn't say 5 year olds.
Now 15 year olds need to learn how to lose

top topics

<<   2 >>

join