It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Threat of terrorist attack from Northern Ireland a "Strong possibility" for UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

There is actually a color code that I think goes from green to black.

Thanks for that. Black being the equivalent of red here in the states, the most threatening level?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Rocker2013

Breaking news: The UK government has raised the threat level from Northern Ireland terrorists from Moderate to Substantial, meaning a terrorist attack on the UK from the IRA (or individuals continuing that ideology) is highly likely.

You mean you guys don't have a terror threat color bar to scare everyone with?

Just moderate to subsatantially threatening…

Amateurs.

You gotta go sirens and blinking lights to get people really 'threatened', lol.

Yeah, how dare they warn the public and how dare they give us any indication at all so that we might be more aware of our surroundings and our environment!

Damn fascists coming up with their evil ways to warn us all of potential threats!

/sarcasm

A warning implies somethings happening, not about to happen. For all that not so common frequency there should be threat levels for plane and train crashes, too.

At the airport… lol

The terror pre warning gauge is to scare the populace, nothing more. Got to keep the fear alive. Those minions that propagate it for the state are the problem.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thanks for that. Black being the equivalent of red here in the states, the most threatening level?

You're welcome. I couldn't say categorically as I rarely go into the office but I think that where I work Black follows red. I think red = severe, black = potentially imminent, but that is from memory. It's worth pointing out though that my personal experience is working in a UK public sector company at the time of 9/11 and an American owned company more recently, so I'm fairly sure I can remember the threat being at black at the time of 9/11 (directly after) and not at that level since then that I can recall. I did attend meetings close to Heathrow the week after our own 7/7 attacks in London and I think the threat level of another attack may have been at the same scale.

That's fairly much in line with Defcon levels so if it was official or more as an unofficial indicator to employees and visitors I couldn't say.
edit on 11-5-2016 by uncommitted because: typo

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

That's fairly much in line with Defcon levels so if it was official or more as an unofficial indicator to employees and visitors I couldn't say.

Defensive condition (DefCon) is posturing for a perceived threat on the part of the military. Their job is to guard us so they need to pay attention to potential militaries activities around the world.

The threat bar for civilians is just ludicrous. They stopped dong it here by the way. It used to be the weather, sports and threat level bar in the news, though. I chuckle when I think about it.

For a while after an earthquake people are jittery, they freeze at the slightest trembler after shock. Terrorist attacks provide the same impetus, the media plays on the emotional jitters. It works for a while, but really people realize after a while nothing like the initial attack is ongoing and the 'threat level' in everyones minds fades to (black).

Meanwhile increased 'defense' spending and more police state are the interim result, just like they planned all along.

Its a symphony of endless spending, debt and war heralded by the terror threat level in the mass media.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

So a Muslim was made mayor of London,.................

And now.............this.

Sounds to me like the Gov't elites are doing this to take heat and observance off the Muslims.

Might want to be careful..........they might even stage a false flag operation killing a few innocents and blaming it on the IRA.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

So a Muslim was made mayor of London,.................

And now.............this.

Sounds to me like the Gov't elites are doing this to take heat and observance off the Muslims.

Might want to be careful..........they might even stage a false flag operation killing a few innocents and blaming it on the IRA.

I can't imagine being this paranoid...but hey, kudos to you if it works for ya!

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Hi OP!

Thanks for the heads up! Whilst the IRA used to be a viable threat, I don't think many people take them serious anymore due to the infighting and the various groups claiming to be the "REAL IRA"

The world has moved on to more credible threats, i.e those that could ruin TPTB's plans. The whole scenario is so annoying, due to the fact that most people from NI, SI and most regions from the UK actually just want to get along. (Irrespective of what the MSM want us to think)

If a small seperatist movement want to throw a spanner in the works, then good luck to them! When I was a young-un, my family got a lot of threats from these "Freedom Fighters" just because I came from a military family which spanned a few decades. The response was pretty much.... well, I cant pronounce it here!

If the "IRA", "PIRA" or whatever rubbish these misguided tools claim to belong to really have a problem, then bring it. ( They aint got the guts to fight face to face anyways, like most terrorists!)

Much better to hurt the innocent where they've got little to no risk.

If they really kick off and start problems, then it only takes a few men clad in black from Credenhill (Hereford) to erase and destroy their dreams of whatever crap they now believe in.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

So..... are Irish pubs in London safe or not?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I pity your bigotry.
edit on 11/5/16 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The key word here is "threat" I think and that is surely the point of terrorism - to strike fear and terror into the hearts of others. That is what most terrorists really want is to put the fear inside people's heads and then they have already won. The attacks are a ways to a means.

I grew up in Northern Ireland at the height of "The Troubles" in the 80s, and as a result acquired a rather fatalistic attitude - when my time is up, it is up. I refused to not go out on Friday or Saturday nights, or in any way change my normal lifestyle, otherwise the terrorists had already won. Many people there at the time had the same attitude - my sister was evacuated regularly (2-3 times a week) from Castle Court in the centre of Belfast due to "bomb scares" (that was the terminology used back then, not threat - just scare - now it is on a new level). She enjoyed getting out of work for several hours and having a coffee - it was more of a nuisance than a real danger (in her opinion).

My view is that indeed 911 was a watershed and has changed the way terrorism will work in future - even back then in the 80s, the paramilitaries were usually very careful to avoid civilian casualties as they do not look good on the news, and they usually gave a prior warning so buildings could be evacuated to avoid injury to civilians. It did not always work though.

Terrorism now as I see it is a media show - look at ISIS, and how the terrorists manipulate the media, or is it the other way round?

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
In Ireland the "dissident republicans" now are just a criminal gang with a green flag wrapped around themselves as camouflage.

They are engaged in a turf dispute in Dublin with a gang of plain ordinary criminals who seem to outman and outgun them.

They have no political credibility at all in the Irish Republic.

Sinn Fein is the political wing of the PIRA and is now the third largest political party in the country.

Any violence by these fools on the UK mainland will create a severe backlash for them in Ireland.

As far as Ireland is concerned if the SAS don't shoot them all we have our own ways.

They won't be missed.....

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The UK will reap what they've sown.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I LOL over this.
and ISIL think they are Hard? HA!

and You have been Made to be afrade of isil.

posted on May, 11 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: draoicht

Pretty much spot on.
I am Irish. Republic.
And only idiots and or scumbags care about the IRA now.
Do I still dislike part of Ireland still being owned by England? Not really. I couldnt care less.
But, I do dislike how Ireland has been treated by Britain for a few hundred years. It is not thought in schools and is kinda expected to just be forgotten and just like it never took place. Our next door neighbors enslaved and attempted genocide of our people. So I think when you have stupid people and they fund out, that's why they end up becoming extremists.
I think it needs to be told in school so people can fully understand it and then get on with it like all history. Instead of it being told as an indoctrine tool by scumbags and vile people.

99.9% of standard Irish people care less where anyone is from or what you do. Including IRA. It's a joke, a sick cruel one. I wish it was long gone

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

And what on earth is that supposed to mean?

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   

No, not quite.

I was a squaddie back in the 80's and the threat assessments were then termed 'BIKINI states' or states of alert.

It ranged from WHITE being the lowest state of alert, to RED being the highest threat level.

The sequence was WHITE, BLACK, BLACK SPECIAL, AMBER and finally RED.

As far as terrorists go, whether they hail from Ireland or Iraq are on very shakey ground these days. They are under the proverbial microscope and it's an international microscope too.

Gone are the days of the US happily aiding IRA bombers and the like, then it was a decidedly dodgy thing for Americans to have done, now it's a clear cut war crime, with the penalties that go hand in hand with such things, up to and including the death penalty.
(The recent activities of our governments 'aiding' in Syria notwithstanding)

edit on 12 5 2016 by MysterX because: sa=

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   

The terror pre warning gauge is to scare the populace, nothing more. Got to keep the fear alive. Those minions that propagate it for the state are the problem.

Actually increasing the terror threat level unlocks access to increased overtime spending and other budgetary issues. It functions as way of managing spending and staffing allocations within the civil service. Increase the threat level and you have more money and resources available.

The warning to the public is a side-effect of what is in essence a management control of governmental expenditure.

edit on 12-5-2016 by redshoes because: fixing layout

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
The UK will reap what they've sown.

Nope, those who threaten to maim and murder innocent people for a fanatical political/religious/ideological cause ARE getting what they deserve.

I don't give a f about your politics, campaign and gain support for your cause and win power to govern in any way you wish, even fight "the power" if you believe you're capable of such stupidity. But when you bring violence to innocent people you deserve the biggest smackdown possible, and that's exactly what all terrorists and their sympathizers deserve.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: Talorc

And what on earth is that supposed to mean?

I think he's one of those who absolutely refuses to accept the fact that Ireland has moved on past all this bs, and people like him don't have any support in their society. This is what happens when your cause becomes nothing but a dangerous and sick joke, attempting to drag people back to a dark age.

Ireland has moved on, people like him are still living in the 1950's.

posted on May, 12 2016 @ 05:47 AM
link   
can someone correct the thread title, the threat isn't from northern ireland its from the republic.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join