It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundamentalist Church to force adolescent marriage?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Amish have been doing this for many years as have many cultures around the world.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: blackthorne

Ugh! But there is a hopeful side to this...

Controversial 'Get Them Married' Teen Retreat Cancelled After Outcry

A controversial retreat aimed at bringing together Christian families who want to find husbands and wives for their children has been cancelled after an outcry against the group that promoted it.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

Pretty wild stuff alright.

You quoted one of the parts that caught my attention as well.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

the "retreat" has been cancelled. does not mean that they will go some where else much more private.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

What I find distressing is yes, the kids don't know any better because their entire reality is defined by what their church "allows" them to see and know.

Is it right for kids to betrothed at age 12? How can a 12 year old make that kind of decision for themselves?

If even a 1-month old fetus has rights, then what about these kids? Shouldn't these kids be allowed to make informed decisions on marriage without their religious community clouding their perception?

And yes, they are "others" because the belief system they chose to buy into an indoctrinate their children with is far outside the societal norm. They've chosen to isolate themselves and believe in cherry-picked passages from a 2,000 year old book. They've chosen to make themselves a cultural oddity in America.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It's a different way of coupling up that involves the whole of both families in the process instead of just the two who will get married.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Pretty wild stuff alright.

You quoted one of the parts that caught my attention as well.

Pretty SICK stuff. SMH. This just made me so sad that crap like this is done in the name of Jesus.

I know you don't believe but I do, and crap like this is what the world sees. just sad.....

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

What I find distressing is yes, the kids don't know any better because their entire reality is defined by what their church "allows" them to see and know.

Is it right for kids to betrothed at age 12? How can a 12 year old make that kind of decision for themselves?

If even a 1-month old fetus has rights, then what about these kids? Shouldn't these kids be allowed to make informed decisions on marriage without their religious community clouding their perception?

And yes, they are "others" because the belief system they chose to buy into an indoctrinate their children with is far outside the societal norm. They've chosen to isolate themselves and believe in cherry-picked passages from a 2,000 year old book. They've chosen to make themselves a cultural oddity in America.

Hmmm, much like the Amish ... are you going to insist they normalize to please you?

So long as people are let go and the general laws are followed, then the price of liberty is that people have the right to live far outside the societal norm. Muslims do too.

Just because you don't want to be involved in the choosing of your children's eventual spouses doesn't mean that it isn't a valid cultural practice for other groups. Maybe it works for them? I don't have any data on it. Do you, or are you just reacting to the general ick factor that most of the rest of us are likely experiencing?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Generally speaking, I agree, but then there are lot of things in this country I am not fond of.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   

It isn't done in the name of Jesus, it's done in the name of sick control freaks. It doesn't diminish anything good. Just like we shouldn't look at Islam negatively because of Jihadists, neither should we look at all of Christianity negatively. Assholes and sickos are everywhere.
edit on 5/6/2016 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom
Thanks for sharing the RL experience Mystik. I was wrong.

I am going to sign off the net for the night, I can't handle anymore evil tonight.

Sh!t like this REALLY bothers me. Screwing over kids using faith as an excuse. I'm out.

ETA: Sorry I jumped the gun all, I was sadly wrong.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

The problem is, there have been repeated cases of reported sexual abuse by members of this church's denomination. If there are the same issues among the Amish, we don't hear about it.

As for the Amish?

At least the Amish allow their children time away from the community to decide if they really want to be Amish. They allow for their children to see the outside world and gain a broader perspective things before they are wed.

I wonder if I were to use your very own arguments to defend Islam if you'd be OK with that?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yeah, along those lines of control and power is the new phenomenon of "purity balls" in which the Dad takes the daughter to a prom-like dance where she pledges her virginity to him (the father) until marriage.

And it isn't some kind of ancient and sacred ritual, it was invented in 1998 in Colorado. It isn't some kind of Biblical right-of-passage that girls and fathers have been doing for centuries according to Christian cannon.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

You sir are inncorrect.
I completely think there breaking the law. I have 2 daughters that had breast at 12 so you think they were ready to marry??

Straight up sick

Also my grandfather was a Baptist minister, had 9 kids 5 daughters married off at 15. You think this was right? They lived in Arkansas they had to get marriage licence in Missouri....I think the laws have changed...what are the laws in Kansas?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Yes, this stuff looks great for the children being married.

letthemmarry.org...

3) We on our site use the word ‘betrothal’ to refer to the entire set of principles, which differ from those of courtship and dating, which are taught by Scriptures for the path to marriage and several related subjects.

These include:

A) The sufficiency of Scripture for the path to marriage
B) The authority of the father over the marriage of their virgin children
C) The continuing authority of the father after marriage
D) The importance of the betrothal covenant versus:
E) The problematic nature of the quasi-covenants of dating, courting, or engagement
F) The importance of young, fruitful marriages
G) That a ‘bad’ marriage is to be preferred over no marriage

We use the word ‘betrothal’ in all three of these ways, but we tend to use it in the third way the most. This site is dedicated to teaching on these issues, and refuting the false views of the modern church.

Yes, sounds like they really have the interests of the children at heart.
edit on 6-5-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I find that creepy too. I get the whole trying to instill the notion of keeping your virginity until your sure... but that's one way that just doesn't click with me at all and should be extended to sons as well.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Ah, I see ... I am supposed to knickle under and be "open-minded" and accept physical men in my bathrooms and locker rooms and just pretend that no one will ever abuse that or no harm will come of it, but you can flip the script as easy as you please because religion is now involved and denounce this on the basis of cases of abuse? Cases of abuse happen all around and religion isn't always a factor. Can I close the schools because teachers are abusive these days too?

I don't think it works that way.

Where is your consistency? Or are the doors on your mind set to close tight under certain conditions?

I don't agree with this practice, but is disagreement alone a valid reason to stop it? I don't agree with many things the Amish do either.
edit on 6-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I think the difference with the Amish is the age? Most Amish aren't expected to marry until 20 ish.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Wait, a "bad marriage" is better than no marriage?

So...if you're miserable or god-forbid abused -- that's better than being unmarried?

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

They start at 16 and practice bundling which is supposed to be sexless sleeping together.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join