It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fundamentalist Church to force adolescent marriage?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This has nothing to do with bathrooms, or transgender people. You know this.

The subject of this thread is arranged marriages of children as young as 12 by a specific "Christian" denomination.

Do not derail this thread with off-topic side tangents.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Atsbhct

They start at 16 and practice bundling which is supposed to be sexless sleeping together.

Yes, and they are also allowed to live outside the Amish community to experience the outside world. They are allowed to see how the rest of the country lives and then decide for themselves if they want to continue being Amish.

Quiverfull children are not afforded this luxury.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I should think that this violates any number of statutes and laws concerning marriage, and will not survive any sort of challenge.

Arranged marriages. The very notion is disturbing. Much less with children, or young adults...or anyone, for that matter.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

They do, but they often find their partners independent of their parents intervention, during Rumspringa.

In theory, they can fall in love with whoever they wish, even outsiders. The Amish person can then reject baptism (risking banishment from church, family and community, but not always); or, the non Amish can choose to convert.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

So this so-called "scripture" hasn't fallen under any sort of "reformation" act? Next it will be sharia, but under a new name?

It looks like we're headed toward yet another slippery slope back into whatever dark (black more or less) age camel trading mentality this comes from. Oh, we as human beings have SO much work to do in the self help department. And what's sad is that I'm sure someone will ask, "Who's going to make the judgement call on what's right or wrong, and/or needs " reformation?"

In some ways I'm so glad I'm the age I am so I don't have that many more years to endure these pathetic notions that stem from whatever "religion" that believes it's the "only, true" one. I'm not particularly religious, but I do have spirituality and beliefs...and this shinola is horrid and doesn't fit into any category I do believe in. Geez.

I wonder if there really is reincarnation, do we get ANY choice as to where we can choose to begin again? I hope so, because there's a lot I've learned, and a LOT I'd like to FIX next time around! Starting with myself....
edit on 6-5-2016 by Rubicon3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I am making the comparison.

But you are essentially the equivalent of the crazy evangelical who thinks their souls need to be saved.

I would never in a million years do this or endorse this for anyone I know, but I'm not going to turn around and try to tell them what they should do unless they are actually marrying off underage girls in Warren Jeff's style.

I am just that sick of other people sticking their nose into MY life and trying to tell me what to do with it. Far be it from me to tell them how to live because I think it's gross.

Maybe it's just the difference between having a more libertarian mindset than most. But is this so different than having Shari'a communities would be if we allowed them?
edit on 6-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

letthemmarry is not an FLDS website - At least not the cut-off I know if, they don't use the internet, they don't recruit people, they don't do any of that.

My wife left the religion two years ago, and has family still active within - The FLDS people that followed Warren Jeffs, followed by his brother Lyle Jeffs while Warren is in jail.
edit on 6-5-2016 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

thing is though, these are the very same people who are screaming about sharia law coming into our country yet they are actually practicing a form of it!

and you as a libertarian who support free will? these kids have no free will of their own because they are being raised to to know noting else!

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: blackthorne

That's what I'm saying.

Libertarians scream "freedom!" .. but only a specific kind of freedom, for a specific grouping of people.

Shiara law? Nope, but a version of similar practices by a religion familiar to them is OK and shouldn't be frowned upon.

Freedom for themselves, not the children of other people practicing a religion they are tolerant and familiar with...

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You say this, but it's ok for these fathers to claim ownership over there daughters? But your offended when the society they live in rejects these people's beliefs?

I'm baffled how you can justify or defend this! Calling this "butting in" is twisted imo. The girls do need to be saved, by the authoritys!!!
edit on 6-5-2016 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

As usual, it sounds like the frothing at the mouth noise in the media is NOT very accurate to the organization's statements on their website.

They seem to make clear enough to me that there'll be no forced marriages etc. etc. etc.

I have long wondered at the disparity between Biblical times where daughters might be married at 14 . . . and our era where kids are still very wet behind the ears at 25. Does our stretching it out do the most good? I don't know.

I know we do NOT have the family system of support, monitoring and boundaries in place (ideally) in Biblical times.

And, not only are parents failing to rear kids to maturity in terms of marriage issues . . . the kids do a ton of floundering on their own with far too much trial and error instead of learning from better models and instruction how to do things to begin with.

I don't know about this group.

It does seem overdue for some group somewhere to try something different in the marriage dept.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackthorne

thing is though, these are the very same people who are screaming about sharia law coming into our country yet they are actually practicing a form of it!

and you as a libertarian who support free will? these kids have no free will of their own because they are being raised to to know noting else!

That's easy to say. But any kid who is raised to any belief: atheist, agnostic, Hindu, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, etc., has no say because they are raised that way by their parents and doesn't know any better.

We raise our kids in the way they should go.

So the only possible way to erase that would be to have the state raise them, but then they'd be raised in the way the state felt they should go and still wouldn't know any better.

Catch-22.

Honestly, I could care less what other people do with their kids unless they break laws designed to protect rights. If you want to raise your kid as a white skinhead, I think that's a very poor decision, but it's what you are going to do. People who practice any religion have the right to raise their children with their beliefs in mind.

Kids have a way of ending up pretty independent despite a parents' best efforts. If this were not so, we would not have statistics that show kids of every belief, including atheism, leaving their parents' beliefs behind at adulthood. As I said, I don't like this particular form of religious expression at all. I think it takes the Bible way too literally and goes too far into the legalism of the Old Testament, but I don't like Westboro either. However, no one forces anyone to follow either group or continue on with either group. Might be why I am not breaking down the Internet to register for their seminar.

Generally speaking, no one should force Muslims to continue being Muslim or Amish to continue being Amish. But at the same time, no one should move to stop them from being who and what they are either unless their beliefs are threatening the rest of us.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Its illegal completely violates constitution and the teenagers intrinsics rights to not be forceably married. That is illegal under all western countries.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That a ‘bad’ marriage is to be preferred over no marriage

letthemmarry.org...

I know of a few abused women who would disagree with that one!!!

the state should go into the homes of these girls before their marriages and just talk to them make it clear that they are free to reject any arranged marriage if they wish and that the gov't is there to help them if they need the help to get away or need financial support.
their church laws are not the same as the civil laws and they are protected by those civil laws..

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No one should be forced into anything...especially marriage.

Disgusting if true.

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The reason we have laws for legal age of consent is because that is when it has been determined that a girl or guy knows enough about themselves to make independent decisions. The reason we don't tend to have arranged marriages in our country is because we have decided it is better for the man and woman to choose their own husband or wife. Marriage is a major part of people's lives and having the right to choose only makes sense.

Interesting thing though - I don't think arranged marriages are illegal.
edit on 06pmFri, 06 May 2016 23:51:46 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I don't think parents should be able to arrange marriages for their children because that is taking advantage of the child's youth and making a decision for them that affects the rest of their lives - a decision the child should make themselves when they are older.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This one caught my eyes

What if my children aren't ready?
If they are of age and you are confident that they do not fall into one of the three Biblical categories of "eunuch", then they need to be ready for marriage. Re-examine your idea of readiness. Get them ready.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Is this for real?

Did they create a May Fools day and no one told me?

I can just see in my mind creepy parents talking to their girls as they grow up.

"When you grow up sweet heart, mommy and daddy are going to find you a man to please!"

It's kind of like having pimp parents that don't even want money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join