It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASUS based Motherboards - Windows update can kill your computer

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

But.. just switching secure boot back off fixes it. It's not doing anything to your OS, it's all still intact. : )

Yep. Turning it on again, re-checksums the BIOS content and it becomes the new norm. Essentially you can leave the KB and benefit from the real intent of the motherboard update....

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Install a programme called Speccy and it illgive you a list of everything on your machine

www.piriform.com...

posted on May, 6 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

How does one turn off secure boot????

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

If you can restart the computer without any problems then it wasn't affected.

Thanks....that is more or less what I was hoping.

If you look upthread at my posts, about the second one I link to a two minute YouTube with easy to follow instructions for asus mbds.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   
is windows 10 really as bad as you guys make it out to be? i use it for general use and gaming and have had no problems.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder
is windows 10 really as bad as you guys make it out to be? i use it for general use and gaming and have had no problems.

It's not really caused any problems for me yet, but the interface is horrible. And the fact I got it for free makes me think things. Awful things. Terrible things.

I'll just stick to my 7 and 8 disks I have. 7 for my htpc and 8 for my gaming rig.

Off topic. Has anyone else gone to a no CD system like me? It's fantastic!

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Thank-you very much for the link.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Make sure your laptop is on a hard surface so as to provide adequate cooling (not on a pillow or blanket)- airflow blockage can cause serious damage to your device.

Do a scan for malware (malwarebytes.org).

Uninstall/remove unneeded unwanted startup items.

Run a consistency check from an elevated command prompt: sfc /scannow

It may not be a conspiracy, just like most things- computers need maintenance to be kept in good running condition.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneymanWelder

It's solid as an OS, it runs exceptionally well.

The issue is the privacy concerns. Although previous MS operating systems would "phone home," it's nothing like what Windows 10 is doing. It phones home an absolutely ridiculous # of times when your computer is idle. One fellow set up a Linux box with Windows Enterprise running, and used a router and some open source software to track where the traffic was going when the OS tried to phone home:

The results

Eight hours later, he found that a completely idle Windows 10 machine had tried over 5,500 connections to 93 different IP addresses. 4,000 of these were Windows connections and 51 of the IP’s belonged to Microsoft.

And when he disabled all the data gathering options AND used a third party program to shut the system down even further:

With use of the privacy tool, Windows still connected to a staggeringly-high 2758 connections spanning 30 unique IP addresses over a 30 hour window.

One MS VP pretty much said this was the case.. you cannot opt out of all the data gathering, it's impossible.

They can collect: emails, contacts, browsing and shopping history, voice commands, writing if using say, a stylus on a Surface tablet, even CC information. They link to another company whose job it is to catch those who pirate software. They are trying to stop people from stealing their software. However, this company also catches people who have illegal music, etc. as well.

You really have to wonder at a companies motives, when they push THIS hard to get their new OS out there. Forcing people to upgrade by basically July of next year, even though Windows 7 was supposed to be originally supported through 2020, and Windows 8 through 2023. And then the clincher.. they are doing it for free! Even myself, who have typically blown off some of the past accusations towards MS, thinks this is extraordinarily odd and out of character for them. There is a reason for their push, and I don't think it's because they are so eager to give you the ultimate operating system experience.
edit on 7-5-2016 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   
How old is the issue?

I had an ASUS based mobo that died suddenly around two months ago that was a windows 7 machine - I had downloaded windows 10 to install at a later time. Fixed it since then, though.

Odd coincidence for me anyway.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

There's an interesting answer to that investigation here.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Ive had to revive my computer several times already. reboots over and over.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Not sure what it is, but Win 10, for me, runs much slower than win 7 - and the machine is less than a year old.

16GB RAM, SSD, Quad Core and the like. Fresh install as well....glad my xbox has it, but come on MS....a big machine like that and it's kinda 'pokey'?

Win 7 how I loved thee....

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

No problem many members here have been a great help to me with computer stuff, It is nice to be able to help someone back

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

I will be a 7 holdout just like I was an XP holdout. I hate the the Windows 10 environment basically because they have no option to really go back to a standard well known format, so useful to programmers especially. I don't know many software people that like the crazy big icon nonsense and relocation of commonly used menus and commands. It is probably inevitable to adapt, but if you are busy.... it is a hindrance. Microsoft really never understood that.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

G wizz thanks a lot, it was actually next on my update list for install I deactivated it.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

I will be a 7 holdout just like I was an XP holdout. I hate the the Windows 10 environment basically because they have no option to really go back to a standard well known format, so useful to programmers especially. I don't know many software people that like the crazy big icon nonsense and relocation of commonly used menus and commands.

I'm a programmer and got used to it quickly.

But maybe that's because I work everyday with Windows 10, 7, XP and 2008, and sometimes also Vista, 8 and 8.1, all in the same day.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Ok so i was going over my bios settings there is no safe boot option, so would this be safe for me to install that update? I have an ASUS P5Q pro turbo MB. Safe boot doesn't appear anywhere in the bios that i can see. before i do this update should a prepare a flash drive with bios for ez flash?

Ok so what should I do before I do this update to prepare if things go bad?

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: enament

Watch the two minute YouTube at the bottom of page 2.

eta: the p5q bios is apparently one of those that was made during asus' transition to efi. Depending on the version you have installed, it may or may not be efi at all. If not, you will not have a secure boot option and this issue will not arise.
edit on 7-5-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

There is NO safe boot option to disable in my bios.

posted on May, 7 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat
a reply to: myselfaswell

Make sure your laptop is on a hard surface so as to provide adequate cooling (not on a pillow or blanket)- airflow blockage can cause serious damage to your device.

I have my laptop balanced at a 30 degree angle on a hard surface to allow for righteous airflow (King James Version Bible is providing the leverage). Don't tell my Mother I am using her X-mas gift for that purpose.
edit on 7-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join