It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASUS based Motherboards - Windows update can kill your computer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Microsoft Windows update KB3133977 for Windows 7 x64 systems can kill your computer - if you use an ASUS based motherboard.

This update was labeled "optional" by Microsoft, until last month when for no adequately explained reason, they changed it to "recommended".

The problem?

This update will destroy ASUS based motherboards.

As InfoWorld’s Windows expert Woody Leonhard notes “I’m now seeing problems reported from all over the globe about Windows 7 machines that suddenly won’t boot”.

Microsoft is on top of things though... they issued a support document that states:

“After you install update 3133977 on a Windows 7 x64-based system that includes an Asus-based main board, the system does not start”.

Thank you, Microsoft. Thank you very much.

link
edit on 5-5-2016 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Is this part of getting people to swap over to Win 10?

It's important for us as both our machines are ASUS. Thankfully, I turn off auto-update.
edit on 5-5-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's important for us as both our machines are ASUS. Thankfully, I turn off auto-update.

There is another article, I dont have a link to it atm, that suggests this is in fact an effort by Microsoft to force people to use Windows 10.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Its not just ASUS brand motherboards. It is ASUS "based" motherboards. HP and Dell will be hard hit by this but you can visit their websites and search based on serial number to see if your computer is one that would be affected.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Thanks for posting this.

The missus (ASUS) lappy has been developing serious windows problems, unexpected error shutdown stuff etc. On face value, I suspect, as ketsuko has suggested that this may infact be intentional.

Kind Regards
Myselfaswell

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

We built ours. They have ASUS MoBos.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Here is the link to the second article titled:

Now Microsoft is breaking Windows 7 to get users to upgrade to Windows 10

link

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vroomfondel

Here is the link to the second article titled:

Now Microsoft is breaking Windows 7 to get users to upgrade to Windows 10

link

There was some arm twisting on Microsoft's part to cause me to upgrade from 7 to 10. Pre-installing a lot of code without asking; (not understanding why). 10 is better than 8. 10 as a number is a sexier version of a "9" that never happened.
edit on 5-5-2016 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads up - S&F.

I deal with keeping a lot of Dell laptops running, and will check them out today.

Much appreciated, as it may have taken me a few days to pick up on this.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yup, i too have turned off auto update because i simply cannot be arsed to keep updated on all their failures with stuff exactly like this.

I leave my well programmed firewall and security software to keep the nastys at bay - screw windows updates, theres always something to patch.

And yes i have an asus mobo and its be delightfully awesome in the 6 years ive been running this win7 enterprise on the same 32 gig SSD.

Win10 i have on my laptop cus, need to stay in the loop as an IT professional - its horrible and i hate it with a passion, yes my laptop has a touch screen, which doesnt even get CLOSE to making up for win10 as an OS to rely on.

Hey, You, Microsoft, LEAVE MY COMP ALONE!

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

They updated my computer to Win 10 at work, so I'm getting an unintended comparison of the two systems now.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I turned off all updates after I caught a important update installing the 10 nagware, and trying to modify my registry. I only install security updates and then only after they have been checked out.

Also apparently one of the recent updates will lock you up if you are using certain dual boot systems and Ubuntu.

Getting rid of windows just as soon as my current projects and contracts are complete.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I know nothing about the inners workings for computers. So here is what I took from the OP:

What you said; don't do it. See? I pay attention.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Yesterday I had a user whose computer Windows 8.1 restarted to do an update and when it rebooted it was a clean install.

No documents he had previously worked on had saved, and he said he was unable to avoid doing the update.

Got to love MicroSoft, eh?

link   
One of the many reasons why I keep auto-update turned off and manually update at a later date when it's safe that no new bugs surface.

link   

No. And if you do not use the drive security in the UEFI AND boot from UEFI . Windows 7 64 bit was the first OS to to be boot from UEFI compatible.
It is well known that anything changing that file (the UEFI file) will stop your system from booting. Also , disk security at at UEFI level is "touchy" at best.
In fact , most manufacturers have a boot to UEFI program in case that happens.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Someone else on here has recommended Classic Shell - BLT which allows you to set the OS to resemble another one. Not perfect I know, but might get rid of some of the Win 10 annoying features, and give you a version you like or are familiar with.

To be honest, I have not tried it myself, as I use MacOS and Linux (although I deal with PC troublshooting for others) but quite a few people here on this forum have liked it.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I keep auto-updates turned off as well. However, every single time I shut down one of my pc's that is running win 7 I spend about 20 minutes fighting off "GWX.exe" and stuff associated with it. It sucks resources and I have to manually stop processes, time and time again. Usually, it takes around 4 or 5 times and then it "stops coming" and doesn't happen again until I reboot. So, lately, my pc's stay in sleep mode when not in use.

This really is bs. Damned crooks!

There is a "svchost" process associated with "GWX.exe" that will just keep building up the amount of resources it is sucking until it is manually stopped...then, if "trustedinstall" is running, it keeps coming back. It's a battle ending them over and over again on a few different machines. Hate when the power blips in the house these days because I know I'm going to spend less time gaming or browsing the net and a lot of time ....."end process"..."end process"...."end process"....."ok, now you can proceed."

P.I.T.A....

I refuse win 10 on principal alone. If they had just offered it up and weren't screwing with my current install, I might have upgraded (on the pc's I have that aren't toasters) but noooo, they have to be asses and pull this crap. Yeah, linux here I come when 7 is finally killed off.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Haven't updated since I installed windows

No need, I see no issues and updates tend to only address problems in previous patches while causing more in the process. Similar to graphics drivers, they can often be completely unstable on some systems. So if ati/nvidea pops up saying a new graphics driver update has been released then don't bother with it unless you have some serious compatibility issues.

This phrase applies to computers as much as everything else in life...
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

edit on 5/5/2016 by constant_thought because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 07:01 PM
link   

They updated my computer to Win 10 at work, so I'm getting an unintended comparison of the two systems now.

Let me know what you think; I was suspicious but am alright with the 10 version.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join