It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Eighth Grade Class Told That Stripping Was Lucrative For Career Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Palo Alto, California: Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School students were treated to a discussion of alternative jobs when a Career Day speaker discussed the merits of stripping and increasing ones bust size. The discussion started when the guest speaker, a successful sales man, was asked why he had listed exotic dancer and stripper on a career handout. He explained that stripping can generate up to $250,000 a year and breast augmentation was potentially worth up to $50,000 more per size. School administrators are at a loss to explain exactly why this happened. Calls by this reporter to the school so far have been unanswered.

sfgate.com
Students at a Palo Alto middle school learned more than school officials ever expected when a recent "career day" speaker extolled the merits of stripping and expounded on the financial benefits of a larger bust.

The hubbub began Tuesday at Jane Lathrop Stanford Middle School's third annual career day when a student asked Foster City salesman William Fried to explain why he listed "exotic dancer" and "stripper" on a handout of potential careers. Fried, who spoke to about 45 eighth-grade students during two separate 55-minute sessions, spent about a minute explaining that the profession is viable and potentially lucrative for those blessed with the physique and talent for the job.

According to Fried and students who attended the talk, Fried told one group of about 16 students that strippers can earn as much as $250,000 a year and that a larger bust -- whether natural or augmented -- has a direct relationship to a dancer's salary.

He told the students, "For every two inches up there, it's another $50,000," according to Jason Garcia, 14.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wow, our career day was much more boring that this. How did he think that this would be an okay topic for a bunch of 8th graders. While I won't argue that it potentially is a profitable career, this may have no been the best audience. While the school no doubt did not plan on this being the topic, prudence would have had them review the handouts prior to the presentation. Why am I reporting this? The school is just down the block from where I live and my son will eventually go there.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
In what was first in my career as a reporter for ATSNN I have recieve my first offical "No Comment" from the Palo Alto Unifed School District.
They are really taking this story pretty hard.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Next they'll be including mob hit-man, drug dealer, psychic, and conspiracy theorist to the list of alternative jobs.

Seriously, this is a sign of the continued degredation of the quality of education in our public schools due to the secular progressive agenda of the teachers' unions.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Seriously, this is a sign of the continued degredation of the quality of education in our public schools due to the secular progressive agenda of the teachers' unions.

Actually Palo Alto schools are highly rated. I doubt they will ask someone to speak again without reviewing his material before hand.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Next they'll be including mob hit-man, drug dealer, psychic, and conspiracy theorist to the list of alternative jobs.

and Welcome to the REAL world.

...Fred's right though, don't think Palo Alto knew, and they weren't pleased when they found out what happened...

Good work Fred - fortunately I didn't spend too much time working on my piece for this one...

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wait, this happened in California? I'm...shocked?

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow...Good work Fred - fortunately I didn't spend too much time working on my piece for this one...

Sorry, I put it up at about 2 Am this morning. The local paper had it but I was shocked this AM to see that CNN and Fox had a bit on it too.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

...Fox had a bit on it too.

I'm sure O'Reilly will jump on this one.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You don't suppose the guy frequents the strip clubs, do you?
He's correct, but it probably wasn't an appropriate career to try to encourage 8th graders to get into. I mean, with kids being so lazy now days, the easy road always sounds better to them. I can see an 8th grade career day influencing many little girls.

Now, if the kids would have brought the topic up, I might see the point in agreeing that it is a lucrative career, but I wouldn't have been the one to throw it out there.

[edit on 14-1-2005 by Damned]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I tell you what if I was 15 years younger I my even go for a career change, I tell you I am in the wrong business.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Just a thought! I wonder if this bozo was pimping for doctors who do bust enlagements?

Personally, I disagree on the issue of larger busts pay more, but that is JMHO.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
it shouldn't be allowed until the senior year.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
The same people who speak against this profession are the same people that keep women from advancing in other feilds. I have known quite a few strippers and dancers over the years and was not dating any of them, they were just friends who had families and supported them with there dancing ability. These people were just trying to make a honest living and just because you have a hangup about it then you do not need to watch. Most of the people who are against these professions have there own hangups and envy for the people who do this. The same people feel women should not have positions of power and there own money of any kind. Who are you or I to say what is right for them.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Well atleast he wasn't promoting prostitution, maybe thats what he's saving for the seniors.

And here i've been talking college up to my son telling him thats where he'll find the woman who will be good enough for him. Hell, when he gets out of the military i'm going to be telling him to marry a stripper. 250 G. a year is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Now I just have to make sure my teenage daughter doesn't read this.....

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

The age group might not have been the wisest to be giving this discussion to, but to compare stripping to these other professions is pretty harsh. Strippers get paid well for what they do, in fact many strippers use it as a means to pay their way through college.

If guys wanting to see ladies tits as they dance makes paying their way through college all the more easier then go for it, there's nothing to be ashamed of. They aren't screwing the guys (although admittedly some do, but it ain't fair to paint them all with the same brush) and I think it's unfairly compared with prostitution.

As sickening as it is to some this guy is right, they will make a boat load of cash being strippers so there's nothing wrong there...although likely it should not be told to the young and impressionable.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
The same people who speak against this profession are the same people that keep women from advancing in other feilds.

Can you prove what you say with a source that states what you are saying?

I do not believe that for one minute. My wife works and she is making more then I did when I was working and my wages were 25.00 an hour 7 years ago when I retired. No my wife was not a stripper, yet her salary is in the 6 figures.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Bravo for your wife, but you have to understand the concept of stereotypes and misconceptions of what women are capable of and it is all around us. There may be someone willing to give you all of the data on the glass ceiling for women in many industries but I am not the guy.

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I don't think that anybody qould question that strippers make a huge amount of $$$$. However, the audience was iffy to say the least and then to follow it up with boob size increases your payoff was priceless. I would have given big dollars to see the look on the school administrators face as this guy was talking
priceless

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
And when I went to HS, they told us to become plumbers and engineers, and encouraged the girls to take typing and Home Ec.

from shots
Personally, I disagree on the issue of larger busts pay more, but that is JMHO.

I can't remember the last time I heard a guy say "Her breasts are way too big"!

Seriously, even though kids this age are well aware of strippers, I think it was inappropriate to bring it up during Career Day.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by factfinder38
The same people feel women should not have positions of power and there own money of any kind. Who are you or I to say what is right for them.

First of all you don't have to agree that this profession is not the best for a woman/child whether or not they earn a lot of money, and at the same time think that women should have no possitions of power....you are wrong on this one. One thing has nothing to do with the other.....you can disagree with little girls being taught about stripping to make money and agree that women should be allowed to be in power...

BTW, yes it is wrong to say this to a group of 8 years old.....

But this is an example of what many liberals will talk about with a bunch of little kids.... i am not saying all libeals, but many.

[edit on 15-1-2005 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join