It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our concept of free will could all be an illusion, new research suggests.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

Tell that to the server ATS might also appreciate a tip for hosting that space thats no longer empty

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

im just stating my opinion. and ive already said that programing will constitute decisions, this doesnt mean we dont have free will. just because you can calculate what a person will do does not mean there is no free will.

i love how your getting all mad because im talking about my beliefs. this is all a matter of belief.

You believe that life would be meaningless without free will so therefore there must be free will? That's pretty much B.S.

ohh but since the brain functions in a way that it records experiences and then helps you decide based on past experiences there isnt a free will? thats not b.s.?

twisted personal belief-system

why is my belief system twisted? because i think the universe has a purpose? because i think consciousness is fundamental?

which is what this thread isn't about

ohh whats it about then? you tell me what to think.

This thread was an attempt to look at free will scientifically

the only thing we can look at scientifically is functions of the brain.

within our physical experiences

but then youre ignoring most of a beings experiences. the stuff I think about is not physical. you only have a twisted belief that it is.

edit on 13-5-2016 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-5-2016 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2016 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

didnt say you had to.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

Maybe I shouldn't have called your belief "twisted." It just felt right in the moment, tho. My bad. Still... you have utterly failed to discern between personal beliefs and something of a more scientific nature, I guess. I want you to know I'm not angry, I just felt like... you weren't understanding but yet you kept egging on and on and on even as you are now trying to egg me on, because maybe your feelings were hurt? And I'm sorry if they were. At the end of the day it's no big deal to me, you can talk about what you believe all you like. Carry on and have a good one.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

As Borat would say verrrry niiiice. It gets tiresome trying to please the my feelings all the live long day, I extend a bro fist in your general direction. Eat the weak.

posted on May, 14 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AllIsOne

No. Your not thinking detailed enough.

A rainy day was always going to be a rainy day.

There is no such thing as random.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason

im just stating my opinion. and ive already said that programing will constitute decisions, this doesnt mean we dont have free will. just because you can calculate what a person will do does not mean there is no free will.

i love how your getting all mad because im talking about my beliefs. this is all a matter of belief.

You believe that life would be meaningless without free will so therefore there must be free will? That's pretty much B.S.

ohh but since the brain functions in a way that it records experiences and then helps you decide based on past experiences there isnt a free will? thats not b.s.?

twisted personal belief-system

why is my belief system twisted? because i think the universe has a purpose? because i think consciousness is fundamental?

which is what this thread isn't about

ohh whats it about then? you tell me what to think.

This thread was an attempt to look at free will scientifically

the only thing we can look at scientifically is functions of the brain.

within our physical experiences

but then youre ignoring most of a beings experiences. the stuff I think about is not physical. you only have a twisted belief that it is.

"i love how your getting all mad because im talking about my beliefs. this is all a matter of belief." Quote AVoiceOfReason

Yes...that's right!...because it would be too difficult to read this statement from one of the SCIENTISTS involved in the research presented -

"Perhaps in the very moments that we experience a choice, our minds are rewriting history, fooling us into thinking that this choice - that was actually completed after its consequences were subconsciously perceived - was a choice that we had made all along," writes one of the researchers, Adam Bear, over at Scientific American."

"This thread was an attempt to look at free will scientifically" Quote geezlouise

Ignore the quote by one of the scientists involved in this particular research, and no-one is 'looking at' anything with any attempt - except to push thier own ideas onto others (a feat put into contradiction by one of the scientists involved)...indeed, putting his own statement into the same contradiction...

Å99

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: akushla99

ok do you think that simply because there are scientists involved that their research is valid? please explain to me how their experiments PROVE the claim that free will doesn't exist. ill wait..

i can also extrapolate a conclusion based on this research. anyone can. but hey guess what. its still just a belief.

i personally think that these results are due to latency. just like in any virtual reality we would make latency has to be accounted for.

i dont know why you think your sh!t doesn't stink. this is all a matter of belief. so you sitting there telling me what i say isnt valid because its based on belief is just straight up rude.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason

ok do you think that simply because there are scientists involved that their research is valid? please explain to me how their experiments PROVE the claim that free will doesn't exist. ill wait..

i can also extrapolate a conclusion based on this research. anyone can. but hey guess what. its still just a belief.

i personally think that these results are due to latency. just like in any virtual reality we would make latency has to be accounted for.

i dont know why you think your sh!t doesn't stink. this is all a matter of belief. so you sitting there telling me what i say isnt valid because its based on belief is just straight up rude.

No.
I'm actually agreeing with you...I quoted you for that last paragraph.

In effect, the researcher/spokesman who provided the absurd statement I've lifted several times from the OP - says - 'even my own interpretation, of my own research - is an illusion' (paraphrased).

...except, for some bizarre reason, folk are willing to accept this absurdity as proof of no free will.

ridiculous

And anyone 'knee-jerk reacting' to defend the gist and interpretation of the researchers deserve to be duly ignored on the basis that thier responses are irrelevant - if they agree with the researchers statement on his own research...

you couldn't make this crap up, but time after time, the non free will brigade appear, to ask folk to somehow believe what they are so assiduously defending - that thier own defense of an illusory position is correct?!

...and of course, if anyone has been following the (some) dozen pages - it is fairly apparent that the defense becomes outright ad hominem...reread it!

Å99
edit on 21-5-2016 by akushla99 because: adddddd

edit on 21-5-2016 by akushla99 because: further adddddd

edit on 21-5-2016 by akushla99 because: even further addddd

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

ohh. idanno what it is about this thread but every thing everyone is saying makes no sense to me. and i wasnt paying attention to who replied to me, thought you were the person i was replying to. sorry friend.

and yeah good points. for some reason just because some scientist said it and they already believe it these sort of people assume its fact and then attack people's beliefs if they dont agree.
edit on 21-5-2016 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join