It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mandela Effect Can No Longer Be Denied: Berenstein Was The Tip of The Iceberg

page: 62
<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Or maybe we're all being too paranoid...

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

It sounds corny to say that people fear what they don't understand, but it seems quite true.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What is beyond absurd here is the idea that the simplest explanations for these events are so roundly ignored.

That and the fact that lies and truly hateful accusations keep being repeated over and over again.

No one here, myself included has stated that EVERY so-called "Mandela Event" is simply false memories.

On the contrary, many are simply misperceptions, faulty cognitions, and just good old mistakes.

And what is offered in return by those who insist that "there's something going on" to help with the confusion and consternation these events can create?

Nothing. They don't know what it is, but they sure as heck know what is isn't, don't they? Ask yourself that question ... who here in post after post is spreading confusion? Who is trying to shut others down? Who is lying about what has been said? Who can't go more than a few sentences without calling other posters names?

And when they aren't attacking one poster or another and trying to insult, intimidate or belittle anyone who dares to disagree with vapid, ridiculous, empty and REPETITIVE nonsense, those of us who have also experienced these events, who have admitted that we are also affected and confused by them, but who have rationally and reasonably considered the facts and realized that the problems are not with the universe, but with ourselves.

Obviously, for some people, accepting any sort of fallibility is just too much for fragile egos.

Ask yourself, who is promoting an agenda here that leads to confusion and chaos ...

Any reader can move through this thread and see the strategies being applied. The constant epithets of "troll" and "shill" and "disinfo agent" (all of which are directly against T&C) are hurled against anyone who dares to simply approach this topic from the normal or mundane point of view. This is utterly against the spirit of this forum and this site.

We've seen page after page of a few posters trying to claim this topic as their own property ... there's the constant "we" think this and "we" do that ... and when it's pointed out that this is somewhat cult-like behavior ...

... well, everyone has seen what happens.

Anyone reading this who has not yet jumped on the fantastic explanation train yet ... just know that almost every person living on this planet has experienced these anomalies. They do not mean that our reality is changing, or that Jesus or the Devil or some other supernatural force is attacking us or trying to prepare us for something, this isn't a government "disinfo" program trying to take people's uniqueness away ... these are just normal human frailties and failings.

We actually DO all experience these things. No one here is telling you that you're crazy. But please, for the sake of your own sanity, just equally consider the normal mundane explanations before insisting on the more fantastic ones.

I say this not to control you, or take anything away from you ... I say it as someone who spent years overtaken by every "weird" thing that came along. Rationality, logic, and basic scientific understanding can go a long way toward avoiding a lot of that disjointed, chaotic feeling that the modern world so often leaves us with.

Do your own work. Come to your own conclusions. Just don't let this stuff make you feel alone, or isolated, or worst of all "crazy" ... that you can no longer trust your own eyes or your own mind. We are all in the same boat with this stuff - together.
edit on 4-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

That could be. I only really speak English myself, but I would imagine that would change how things are said. However, it seems to me that each culture/language should have their own Mandela Effect examples, be they the same or quite different from ours. If changes in geology have changed, that would have no bearing on language.

Memory is a tricky thing. Many things can be mis-remebered, such as where you parked, and yet memory can be incredible. I was taught in school how faulty memory was, yet the exercise they had us do was so lame: line kids up, give them a message, watch the kids as they intentionally say it wrong, and then say: "Seee, I told you!" Yet in real life, Native peoples here in Canada have remembered their history perfectly for tens of thousands of years. Some things believed wrong by Caucasian texts have since been proven right! A very scholarly man once told me about how this White man was teaching Native people to read and write. Their chief approached and asked him why he was doing this. The White man explained this was important, so that we have a record of things. He asked the chief how he kept track of all his information. The chief replied: "I remember it."

I was shy too as a kid. It was sensory overload, big time. Much of the time I just wanted to run off and hide lol

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: wrathofall

I looked up the human heart and it is shown where I always remember it, in my own personal experience. As far as I remember, it was always a bit to the left, but not too far to the left. It still seems to be positioned there.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: IQPREREQUISITE

originally posted by: carewemust
What is the most recent wide-spread "Mandela Effect" event? It seems that most of those cited in this thread occurred in the last century...before 2000. I haven't read all 60 pages pf this thread though.

I would have to agree...haven't heard any "recent" ME phenomenon.

If the effect is real, perhaps the initiator has been annihilated, or taken a break.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here's another resource for anyone experiencing these kinds of things that wants to find a logical basis for the occurrences:

Forgetfulness — 7 types of normal memory problems - Harvard Medical Publications, Harvard Medical School

1. Transience

This is the tendency to forget facts or events over time. You are most likely to forget information soon after you learn it.

2. Absentmindedness

This type of forgetting occurs when you don’t pay close enough attention. You forget where you just put your pen because you didn’t focus on where you put it in the first place. You were thinking of something else (or, perhaps, nothing in particular), so your brain didn’t encode the information securely.

3. Blocking

Someone asks you a question and the answer is right on the tip of your tongue — you know that you know it, but you just can’t think of it. This is perhaps the most familiar example of blocking, the temporary inability to retrieve a memory. In many cases, the barrier is a memory similar to the one you’re looking for, and you retrieve the wrong one.

4. Misattribution

Misattribution occurs when you remember something accurately in part, but misattribute some detail, like the time, place, or person involved. Another kind of misattribution occurs when you believe a thought you had was totally original when, in fact, it came from something you had previously read or heard but had forgotten about.

5. Suggestibility

Suggestibility is the vulnerability of your memory to the power of suggestion — information that you learn about an occurrence after the fact becomes incorporated into your memory of the incident, even though you did not experience these details.

6. Bias

Even the sharpest memory isn’t a flawless snapshot of reality. In your memory, your perceptions are filtered by your personal biases — experiences, beliefs, prior knowledge, and even your mood at the moment. Your biases affect your perceptions and experiences when they’re being encoded in your brain. And when you retrieve a memory, your mood and other biases at that moment can influence what information you actually recall.

7. Persistence

Most people worry about forgetting things. But in some cases people are tormented by memories they wish they could forget, but can’t. The persistence of memories of traumatic events, negative feelings, and ongoing fears is another form of memory problem. Some of these memories accurately reflect horrifying events, while others may be negative distortions of reality. People suffering from depression are particularly prone to having persistent, disturbing memories. So are people with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). PTSD can result from many different forms of traumatic exposure — for example, sexual abuse or wartime experiences. Flashbacks, which are persistent, intrusive memories of the traumatic event, are a core feature of PTSD.

All of these are normal, all of us experience them, and none of them should make anyone feel alone, or isolated.

We're all just human, after all.

edit on 4-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

No, I have a vivid memory of the "Betelgeuse" spelling.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: IQPREREQUISITE

I apologize for being so harsh in my reply. I guess I was a bit riled over some of the remarks by other people. Apologies

Your posts have been good. I've starred some of them.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It was Depends. When me and my brother were kids, we used call 1-800-DEPENDS and order free samples of adults diapers and have them mailed to our friends. That's an American 1-800 # with 7 digits after. Someone explain that.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Other important work in this area has been done at the University of California at Irvine by several researchers, particularly Dr. Elizabeth Loftus.

Here's a basic overview of this research published in The Atlantic Magazine: How Many of your Memories are Fake?

In another office nearby on campus, you can find Professor Elizabeth Loftus, who has spent decades researching how memories can become contaminated with people remembering—sometimes quite vividly and confidently—events that never happened. Loftus has found that memories can be planted in someone’s mind if they are exposed to misinformation after an event, or if they are asked suggestive questions about the past. One famous case was that of Gary Ramona, who sued his daughter’s therapist for allegedly planting false memories in her mind that Gary had raped her. Loftus’s research has already rattled our justice system, which relies so heavily on eyewitness testimonies. Now, the findings showing that even seemingly impeccable memories are also susceptible to manipulation could have “important implications in the legal and clinical psychology fields where contamination of memory has had particularly important consequences,” the PNAS study authors wrote.

EDIT:

Here's a link to a TED Talk that Dr. Loftus gave on the fallibility of memory: "The Fiction of Memory" Dr. Elizabeth Loftus - TED

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: galaga
It was Depends. When me and my brother were kids, we used call 1-800-DEPENDS and order free samples of adults diapers and have them mailed to our friends. That's an American 1-800 # with 7 digits after. Someone explain that.

What needs to be explained? We commonly refer to these as Depends. It's all over the internet.

Take a look at this Google search page result: Depends for Men

Notice that even though there are PHOTOGRAPHS of the trade logo (Depend) we commonly pluralize it because, for those who need these garments, they usually don't need just one.

"Depend Undergarments" or "Depend Guards" or "Depend Briefs" get shortened in common use to "Depends" as a generic term for adult diapers and similar products ... we do it all the time.

41 Brand Names People Use as Generic Terms

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Wow.

Memory is an imperfect vehicle is not really being considered here? Says the guy who spent plenty of time on the topic...I never really considered changed timelines...nor will I.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
In my previous post: "...Eve was made from Adam's rib and men should have one rib more." more should obviously be "less".

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2

a reply to: raymundoko

We have countered by explaining that our memories are too vivid to be faulty. )

Does it ever happen to you that you dream about something so vividly that you need several minutes to convince yourself it was just a dream when you start wakening up (usually before actually completely waking up and getting out of bed)? Did it ever happened to you that you were sure someone said something to you and after waking up you slowly realized it was only said in a dream?

Why do you think wrong memories can't be vivid?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krneki
Does it ever happen to you that you dream about something so vividly that you need several minutes to convince yourself it was just a dream when you start wakening up (usually before actually completely waking up and getting out of bed)? Did it ever happened to you that you were sure someone said something to you and after waking up you slowly realized it was only said in a dream?

Why do you think wrong memories can't be vivid?

Have you ever learned about the process that occurs in the brain during the dream process?

Essentially, when you are born, neurons start branching in the brain. They relate to new experience that gets branched on that experience. The context of those branches are dependent on the emotions felt (and by definition what happens to that individual since emotions felt are hormones reacting to experience).

The dream process is like an imperfect organizer - it relates everything the best it can on neuronal branches. Sometimes, those neuronal branches get confused...sometimes the neurotransmitters recall a short term experience more than the sum of all previous experience. It doesn't mean that there is a weird universal phenomenon. It means that you haven't paid attention to what happened in your youth and are operating on some weird assumptions that 'instant recall = infallible truth".

It is much more complex than that.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Very informative post! I never knew forgetfullness has so many levels. I for one am fond of absentmindedness and blocking

edit on 4-5-2016 by IQPREREQUISITE because: typo

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

Thanks...was just surprised by the remark. But seeing how heated this thread has become in the last few pages, I understand.

Let's just continue with this topic at hand.

As of now the leading theories going head to head are Faulty Memory vs Parallel Universe with Faulty Memory gaining the upper hand in explaining things (at least from my perspective).

Not saying it's true. Will look into ME further.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IQPREREQUISITE

originally posted by: kibric
a reply to: IQPREREQUISITE

yes

i have read many stories about parallel universes
your story is very familiar
im trying to track down where i saw it 1st

Please do...I'm really interested here. And a little paranoid at the moment. Actually after I read your post that you saw my story somewhere I logged out of ATS...deleted cookies and all that jazz lol

On a sidenote, and I don't know if this is relevant coz all this Mandela Effect talk got me thinking. I remember writing this closing statement on a highschool paper we did in English. It's about where you see yourself in the future kinda thing.

"From the ashes of my failures will rise the empire of my success."

Now, I didn't pull that one out from a book or the internet because we didn't have an internet back then. It was early 90s and dial up modems were the craze. Anyway, I also remember seeing that quote used on Friendster or Multiply a decade ago and I thought it was weird that they know it. And because you got me spooked yesterday, I got to searching it on Google and to my surprise it was being used. You can try searching it yourself.

So I dunno if its relevant but by golly, I can't think of how a statement I've written down 20 plus years ago would be known now. I mean, the most plausible explanation is that my statement was really written by a famous someone and people use it until now. If anyone has the know how to track down who "originally" wrote it I will be glad...I would probably shoot an email to that person and tell him my story.

BUT I didn't copy it from any book, person or the internet. It could be nothing but it is definitely something for me...especially now.

P.S. This is getting too close for comfort really

Oh wow...that same sort of thing happened to me. I haven't thought about this is many years.

When I was eight, my mother had a friend who was just the most awesome person. She was always so kind to everyone. But she was really down in herself about her weight. She wasn't obese, just kind of chubby. Well, so was my mother and we were taught not to use the words "chubby" or "fat" because they are hurtful to people.

So one day, she was over at the house, and she was wearing this really pretty dress with red roses on a black background. Not like her usual attire. I admired her pretty dress and told her she looked lovely.

She shook her head and laughed and told me that I was sweet, but she thought she was too fat to wear it. Well, I was appalled. And scrambling to come up with a synonym for "chubby" that wouldn't hurt someone's feelings. I wanted to reassure her, because she looked so sad when she said it.

So I thought for a second about something nice to say, and a picture of a big, soft, happy dog came into my head and I smiled at her and said " Oh no, you're not fat at all. You're just fluffy!" Well of course, they had a good laugh over that for a while afterward.

Fast forward to 2014, and I'm in some novelty shop looking at those little plastic buttons that you pin on your backpack or jacket that have little jokes on them. I happened to glance at one of the smaller ones and when I read the caption, I literally froze for a second...I couldn't move. It had a picture of a grinning dog with a cookie in its hand and an apron on with a thought bubble above its head that read, "I'm not fat...I'm just FLUFFY!".

I was with my sister at the time and I grabbed her and pointed at the button, and her mouth dropped open in shock. How in the hell did something I said in another country, on a whim in 1979 make it into a novelty button at a trinket shop in 2014?

It couldn't have been the woman. My sister was so flabbergasted that she called my mom and asked her if her friend had ever by chance copyrighted what I had said to her all those years ago. It's not exactly something that would be common. I made it up on the fly. My mother said no way. And she said it really upset her, because she remembered how much her friend got a kick out of that.

Because the lady, who never had children and lived thousands of miles away from any relatives died three years later before she could make it back home to the States.

Now, it is possible that she repeated it to someone else who then decided to make money off it later. But it was so obscure, and the circumstances were so unique, I have a hard time with that option.

If it had surfaced relatively shortly after the fact, it would be a plausible explanation. But I don't think so and neither do my mother and sister, and they are both some of the biggest skeptics walking the planet. I do not believe in coincidence.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
a reply to: wrathofallyeah what is up with that? I just looked up about ten diagrams that show the heart in the middle of the chest.

Also the intestines look off to me. They're side by side and I thought they were stacked.

I am probably wrong but it seems off.

You're not wrong. The intestines stack. Small above large. The heart is not in the middle of the chest, but slightly to the left. It sits beneath the sternum, nestled inside a notch in the bone made just to accommodate it. About three finger widths inward from the nipple line.

I know anatomy...inside and out, forgive the pun. I was the first in my class in college in twenty years to exempt my professor's final exam by meeting a challenge she offers at the beginning of each new class. I haven't looked at the diagrams. I don't think I want to see. Jesus wept. Wtf is going on here??

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JKrista
I've read through this entire thread, and I don't think anyone has mentioned the Lindbergh Baby yet. This one isn't a spelling or geographical error.

In my memory the Lindbergh Baby was never found. Now, however, the baby was found dead a few weeks later and someone (Richard Hauptman) was charged, tried, convicted and executed for his death.

Since all of that occurred long before my birth, there's no reason for me to have learned that the baby was never found. It was often quoted as being one of those great unsolved mysteries. I read about it in two different books that were collections of unsolved crimes, and also watched an episode about it on Unsolved Mysteries about a decade ago.

Now the mystery is centered on whether Hauptman was actually guilty or not, instead of what happened to the baby.

Just wanted to put this in here for people reading the thread.

Well, that's another one for me then, because in my reality the baby was never found. Matter of fact, I watched an episode of Unsolved Mysteries and it was one of the featured cases about two years ago.

new topics

top topics

<< 59  60  61    63  64  65 >>

join