It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is modern far left liberalism, synonymous with an anti western agenda?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So often I hear and see a distinct anti-western position from liberals, they often site failures of America, they blame America for all of the ills in the world and society, they bring Americas past, having destroyed the Indians, they cast shame and doubt across any notion of patriotism. What is this why does it exist?

Am I crazy, or is this real, am I truly seeing an anti western agenda? Why is it that every other country and peoples have established in blood and yet America is the most evil? Why is it when America engages in surreptitious activity it is painted as a nefarious hateful group, hell bent on the destruction of the world! Every country engages in surreptitious activity! Why is it when America wants to protect liberal values it is called xenophobia, why does the critic only speak about the Wests fault and not the cultures who are invading us as we speak?

I'm tired of hearing about how bad we are, how everything is conspiracy to rob you of your personal freedoms whilst we sit here on our integrated network in our cozy lives making such absurd judgments. I believe in many liberal values (and I believe somethings ought to change or be worked on, but I do not hate America or her government, I am patriot) in the classic sense, modern liberalism seems to be geared at the destruction of the west from the inside out. If more liberals could be like Bill Marher I wouldn't have a rant at all, so my question is - Is modern far left liberalism, synonymous with an anti western agenda?

Cheers
edit on 17-4-2016 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

What you see as "anti-west agenda" is mostly backlash against the opposite extreme of the blind jingoist mentality promoting an ignorant perspective that ignores any and all transgressions committed by our nation.

As always, when two types of thinking stand on opposite ends of a spectrum, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

As a college student, I have seen the effects of left wing infestation in academia. The Latin American and Pan African Studies Classes there are infested with left wing bias mixed with factual history.

While the West are no angels, the left wing professors focused more on the dangers of Western influence and not enough on the positives.

Instead of teaching facts, these professors tries to appeal to emotions in order for people to follow their agenda.

What's sad is that we have to take these courses as part of "Diversity."

Not only that, you also have left wing groups like black lives matter disturbing the peace.
edit on 4/17/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Any political persuasion, whether left, right or otherwise, whose modus operandi pushes for laws to be changed or accepted customs and traditions to be sacrificed or freedoms to be surrendered whilst at the same time neglecting citizens and pushing for perpetual global war(s), is not working in the best interests of (the constitution of the United States and) the citizens, but instead for nefarious interests which benefit the few at the expense of the many.

Far left liberalism and far right ultraconservatives, and others, share a common trait - they cannot and are not willing to accept that the majority of folks simply disagree with their philosophies / opinions / policies and no amount of state sanctioned propaganda being spewed via the idiot box or webz will change that.

The political correction movement within the US is but the latest attempt to destabilize the nation by pitting citizens against each other in the ongoing quest to determine how folks view a gay black Muslim Hermaphrodite illegal immigrant who has 6 kids and looks like ISIS, but says he isn't - he just wants to be a citizen and have his guns and other freedoms Americans enjoy.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I haven't seen it.

I have seen mental gymnasts bend over backward to be apologists for the West's downfalls though...

Whether it's breaking international Laws, defending "allies" with questionable human rights, outright ignoring human rights of others to do trade deals and stay economically safe, basically all the things that put Things before People.

& I'm tired of that agenda.

Jingoism is correct, Abysha.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Tired of every agenda, to be fair.

Our species is doomed by its own inability to see past our own insignificant lives.

I, personally, want to be free to live my life in harmonious balance with my own environment. Seems that ship sailed before I was born.

Rationality be damned- and we're all hosed because of it.
Makes me yearn for a state of mind where the afterlife would set me free of my earthly bounds. Delirious fools- maybe they've got the right idea.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Because its real and is happening. Just look at how totalitarian our own colleges have become. College is where ideas of all shapes, outrageous to common, are supposed to form and be debated with respect but instead we have safe spaces and yelling and cheesy protest techniques. Professors using their classes basically to spew propaganda and is usually anti establishment.

If you argue for the status quo you're shut down as part of the problem. Certain people are able to have an opinion as long as you meet certain set up labels made up by the left to divide us and put us into categories of privilege. The West is eating itself from the inside because we lost our ability to compromise and treat each other with respect.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I think there is a difference between the left and the far left, and I'm glad you made that distinction in your O.P.

I am a Democrat, however I have lived where the majority of people were of the radical far-left and a lot of times they do have an anti-Western agenda for some reason. This was on a college campus, and it was the students not as much as the faculty. I think you are spot on. This same group of people can include far-left feminists who say things that really upset me even though I am a feminist.
edit on 17pmSun, 17 Apr 2016 22:34:22 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 17pmSun, 17 Apr 2016 22:36:04 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
That's ironic, because I keep seeing far right conservatives who openly hate the government. There are even large segments of the right wing that eagerly arm themselves to fight against American's government, as if it's a wet dream. Most activists on the Left want the system to work fairly for all people, without wanting the system itself to fail. But that obviously includes justice for past crimes.

So what exactly is your idea of "patriotism" again? Because the Left generally wants all American citizens to have equal rights; wants a strong social safety net to help all Americans in hard times; and clean water and air for all of our citizens. Think about that for a second.

We're literally the side that pushes for all Americans to have access to clean water, clean air, non-polluted land; clean energy over polluting energy sources; better public school systems, better public transportation systems; a fair justice system; better treatment by police; strong social programs to help all citizens in need, etc. And some of our most vocal movements are us demanding our government treat its citizens fairly and by the Constitution (particularly the 14th Amendment). How is that not "patriotism"?

In my eyes, that's far more "patriotic" than the people who want some American citizens profiled because of their skin color; others profiled because of their religion; others stigmatized because they're attracted to consenting adults of the same gender; poor citizens to starve if they can't "pull themselves up by their own bootstraps"; constantly call for our government to be shut down; want companies to be able to freely pollute/poison our water, air, and land; and literally fantasize about fighting our government the way the Confederates did.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It's definitely anti-Christian, although I'm not sure about "anti-Western". In my experience, far left adherents, generally, seem to be mostly preoccupied with things that are indeed very "Western"--material positivism, gadgetry and technological dependence, immersion in pop culture, hedonism, etc.

Sometimes I think they can't get any more "Western".

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Because the Left generally wants all American citizens to have equal rights; wants a strong social safety net to help all Americans in hard times; and clean water and air for all of our citizens. 

What you just said reads differently for me. I see special rights, pandering to minorities, successful people paying for the failures of unsuccessful people and government control of natural resources.

As always it depends entirely on perspective and explains why people are so completely divided. The left is just as dishonest and deceitful as the right or haven't you figured that out yet?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

I agree with all of it except the "anti-Christian" part. There are a lot of Christians on the far left, but there are also a lot of straight up anti-theists. It's a more diverse group than most people think.

originally posted by: Metallicus

Because the Left generally wants all American citizens to have equal rights; wants a strong social safety net to help all Americans in hard times; and clean water and air for all of our citizens.

What you just said reads differently for me. I see special rights, pandering to minorities, successful people paying for the failures of unsuccessful people and government control of natural resources.

As always it depends entirely on perspective and explains why people are so completely divided. The left is just as dishonest and deceitful as the right or haven't you figured that out yet?

Of course you think that. You made a thread saying all Muslims should be profiled as dangerous, even though you admitted that you thought most of us weren't dangerous. In other words, you have no problem saying that some groups of American (Muslims) should be profiled while other Americans aren't profiled (non-Muslims).

That's literally the opposite of what you just typed, claiming we just want special rights and pandering to minorities. We literally want all Americans to have equal rights and protections, while people like you want some Americans to have fewer rights and protections. So my original point stands.

And newsflash, you claim we want "successful people paying for the failures of unsuccessful people and government control of natural resources." That's ironic since even poor Americans have to pay taxes like sales taxes, taxes on gasoline, etc. And those tax dollars go towards subsidies for major corporations and defense contractors, which is literally the opposite of what you just claimed. So why is that crap ok but we can't also have our tax dollars go towards poor American citizens who actually need help?

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Far left liberalism...

You mean "moderate" for the rest of the 1st world democracies of planet Earth?

Seriously, compare the GOP today to the GOP of Reagan. Go watch some of his debates and speeches seriously. Then go and watch Carter and Bill Clinton debates & speeches.

It's pretty clear that the Democrats have stayed pretty much the same, but the GOP has jumped off the edge of the Grand Canyon into radicals conservatism.

A big part of it is the rise of conservative AM talk radio after deregulation via the Fairness Doctrine in 87' (requiring stations to broadcast both contrasting sides equally) and then the Telecommunications Act in 1996, which allowed big business to buy up small stations and syndicate talking heads from coast to coast (like Rush Limbaugh).

You're in a car, by yourself -- the guy sounds like he's talking to YOU. You're in traffic and pissed off already, and the angry conservative guy on the radio screaming seems to match how you feel.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

The problem is even the Left are no angels.

Ever heard of White Liberal Racism?

Basically these are so-called liberal whites who subscribed to their own brand of white supremacy. They claimed to be fighting for the rights of minorities but in reality they are suppressing them.

1. Denial: Denying we could ever have racist thoughts, or that we reap the benefits as a member of the majority race, is a common defense of liberal White Americans. By denying the existence of our racist thoughts, we negate the depth of the racial divide. “But I don’t even see color.” As if by being color-blind we can resolve the racial pain people of color live out. Pendler and Beverly note, “An inability to be open to the possibility that the experience of the other could be valid is a consistent element of white supremacy.”

2. Shame & Hurt: When focus remains on the White person, and our emotional wounds, this is classic deflection and redirection. “I’m so embarrassed I said that!” This common phrase can be heard when something hurtful may have been said to a person of color. The truly injured party, however, remains unrecognized. By having the courage to confront a racial slight, a person of color is made to feel that they have misread us, or hurt our feelings. We might also say: “I’m hurt that you think of me like that.” This further draws the attention back to us, and away from the real issue of pain felt by the person of color. When sympathy transfers to the white person, no awareness or learning occurs. No trust is built. Try this next time you’re confronted with something insensitive: “I hear how my words or actions hurt you. Thank you for pointing that out to me.”

3. Narcolepsy & Ignorance: Shutting down or going blank is referred to as “race-related narcolepsy.” Racism retains a foothold when white people reach a threshold in their racial sensitivity and invoke their white privilege to “check out,” and go silent, instead of sticking out the racial awareness process. The other side of that coin is simply to choose ignorance. “I had no idea about that!” You’re feeling of being clueless leads to detachment. The responsibility to look inward is traded for making the person of color “assume the responsibility for bringing cultural and racial awareness to the surface.”

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 4/18/2016 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
So often I hear and see a distinct anti-western position from liberals, they often site failures of America, they blame America for all of the ills in the world and society, they bring Americas past, having destroyed the Indians, they cast shame and doubt across any notion of patriotism. What is this why does it exist?

It's hard to deny that the US has struggled to come to terms with some of the deeds done in the name of the people. For those whom are acutely aware, it may seem important to remind others of these inconvenient facts. When a shameful thing is done, the best thing is to come to terms with it and redress where possible, rather than hide behind a veil called "patriotism" that excuses you from the duty of being self-critical and self-correcting.

Am I crazy, or is this real, am I truly seeing an anti western agenda? Why is it that every other country and peoples have established in blood and yet America is the most evil? Why is it when America engages in surreptitious activity it is painted as a nefarious hateful group, hell bent on the destruction of the world! Every country engages in surreptitious activity! Why is it when America wants to protect liberal values it is called xenophobia, why does the critic only speak about the Wests fault and not the cultures who are invading us as we speak?

You're seeing something real but you're interpreting it through a very particular lens. To be critical of one's own home is not to hate one's family. Further, the rhetoric both domestic and international holds America up as a bastion of liberal democratic values as well as human rights. Is it such a bad thing to insist that the US live up to its claims?

I do think you're stretching it when you say "Why is it when America wants to protect liberal values it is called xenophobia, why does the critic only speak about the Wests fault and not the cultures who are invading us as we speak?" Exactly what do you mean by "protect its liberal values"? Not every action taken in the name of protecting values is worthy of admiration. See: the PATRIOT act, NSA surveillance. What are these invading cultures of which you speak, and what criticism are you longing to hear when you find only silence?

I'm tired of hearing about how bad we are, how everything is conspiracy to rob you of your personal freedoms whilst we sit here on our integrated network in our cozy lives making such absurd judgments. I believe in many liberal values (and I believe somethings ought to change or be worked on, but I do not hate America or her government, I am patriot) in the classic sense, modern liberalism seems to be geared at the destruction of the west from the inside out. If more liberals could be like Bill Marher I wouldn't have a rant at all, so my question is - Is modern far left liberalism, synonymous with an anti western agenda?

Cheers

Well, to be fair, so many of these terms need to be defined more carefully. What is the platform of "far-left liberalism", exactly? This is very ambiguous territory. I wish the US would put boots on the ground to crush ISIS despite the risks of protracted conflict and the certainty of bloodshed because I think it's the right thing to do. That's not terribly liberal by many accounts. On the other hand, I vehemently oppose the notion of an embargo on Muslim immigration and I think attacks on BLM that equate their actions with terrorism are quite silly. Am I a far-left liberal?

Could this in part be a case of "get thy own house in order"? I'm a US citizen. I see little value in spending my days criticizing other countries with some rare exceptions. I know my own country better, and I actually stand a chance at having an impact here. I can sit around condemning the vagaries of Iran until I'm blue in the face, but having insightful and rational conversations about US politics, US deeds, and US business seems a much better use of my time.

edit on 17-4-2016 by JohnnyElohim because: A whoopsie or two.

posted on Apr, 17 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

The problem is even the Left are no angels.

Ever heard of White Liberal Racism?

Basically these are so-called liberal whites who subscribed to their own brand of white supremacy. They claimed to be fighting for the rights of minorities but in reality they are suppressing them.

1. Denial: Denying we could ever have racist thoughts, or that we reap the benefits as a member of the majority race, is a common defense of liberal White Americans. By denying the existence of our racist thoughts, we negate the depth of the racial divide. “But I don’t even see color.” As if by being color-blind we can resolve the racial pain people of color live out. Pendler and Beverly note, “An inability to be open to the possibility that the experience of the other could be valid is a consistent element of white supremacy.”

2. Shame & Hurt: When focus remains on the White person, and our emotional wounds, this is classic deflection and redirection. “I’m so embarrassed I said that!” This common phrase can be heard when something hurtful may have been said to a person of color. The truly injured party, however, remains unrecognized. By having the courage to confront a racial slight, a person of color is made to feel that they have misread us, or hurt our feelings. We might also say: “I’m hurt that you think of me like that.” This further draws the attention back to us, and away from the real issue of pain felt by the person of color. When sympathy transfers to the white person, no awareness or learning occurs. No trust is built. Try this next time you’re confronted with something insensitive: “I hear how my words or actions hurt you. Thank you for pointing that out to me.”

3. Narcolepsy & Ignorance: Shutting down or going blank is referred to as “race-related narcolepsy.” Racism retains a foothold when white people reach a threshold in their racial sensitivity and invoke their white privilege to “check out,” and go silent, instead of sticking out the racial awareness process. The other side of that coin is simply to choose ignorance. “I had no idea about that!” You’re feeling of being clueless leads to detachment. The responsibility to look inward is traded for making the person of color “assume the responsibility for bringing cultural and racial awareness to the surface.”

www.huffingtonpost.com...

When did I say anything about the Left being Angels? You're arguing against a point that I never even mentioned. And to be honest, there's some racism in every demographic and nationality. But if you think most "white" liberals are racist, then I have to disagree with you.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Well according to many minorities, they see that Left Wing White Liberal Racists are more dangerous than Right Wing Racists

Some might be surprised to learn that when people of color talk about racism amongst ourselves, white liberals often receive a far harsher skewering than white conservatives or overt racists. Many of my POC friends would actually prefer to hang out with an Archie Bunker-type who spits flagrantly offensive opinions, rather than a colorblind liberal whose insidious paternalism, dehumanizing tokenism, and cognitive indoctrination ooze out between superficially progressive words. At least the former gives you something to work with, something above-board to engage and argue against; the latter tacitly insists on imposing and maintaining an illusion of non-racist moral purity which provides little to no room for genuine self-examination or racial dialogue.

From what I can see, though, a solid majority of white liberals maintain a fairly hostile posture toward anti-racist discourse and critique, while of course adamantly denying this hostility. Many white liberals consider themselves rather enlightened for their ability to retroactively support the Civil Rights movement and to quote safely dead anti-racist icons, even though their present-day physical, intellectual, and political orbits remain mostly segregated…Armed with “diversity” soundbites and melanin-inclusive photo-ops, they seek electoral, financial, and public relations support from people of color. Yet the consistent outcome of their institution-building agendas is to deprioritize and marginalize our voices, perspectives, experiences, concerns, cultures, and initiatives.

www.washingtonmonthly.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

So we should refuse to acknowledge the atrocities committed against the Native Americans? Ok.... Got it.

Humans appear to prefer sweeping things that make them look bad under the rug. You know....... If I can't see it, it's not there and all.

You see what you want to see. There are a few distinct differences between how I (a terrible leftest to many) see the U.S. compared to everyone else.

1: The U.S. is the most powerful country in the world by a longshot. What we do shapes the rest of the world in more ways than any other country could even come close to. How America goes, so does the rest of the world in many ways.

2: It's called being accountable for your own actions. Recognize the injustices and atrocities you commit and stop committing them.

As an american, there's very little I can do about the atrocities and injustices other countries commit. There are no amount of bombs, no amount of hateful rhetoric, and no amount of intervention that's going make the world exactly as we want it. There's very little I can do to stop what other countries can do.

What role do you expect an Islamic dissident to have? Should he/she focus on the atrocities of the west, or should he/she be focusing on the atrocities of their own Middle Eastern cultures?

I'm tired of hearing about how bad we are, how everything is conspiracy to rob you of your personal freedoms whilst we sit here on our integrated network in our cozy lives making such absurd judgments.

Here I thought this line of rhetoric was the go to line for modern conservatism.

modern liberalism seems to be geared at the destruction of the west from the inside out.

This is the same rhetoric pushed during the red scares. It's meant to completely amputate one side of the argument.

You believe in workers rights to negotiate? You're a Communist
You believe in equality? You're a communist.
You believe in some social programs? You're a Communist.

It's what was called being pink..

I do think that there are segments of the left that are becoming extreme. I tend to steer away from the current feminist and social justice movements. On a personal level, I don't really care for them. Furthermore, I think all of this hypersensitivity is becoming a real issue socially.

However, I don't think there's any intention to destroy the west from the inside out. These people believe in their movements. And....... For my part, I think they're wrong a lot of the time.
edit on 18-4-2016 by GD21D because: Punctuation

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: GD21D

The problem is once they get too much influence in Academia, they can be really destructive in the long run. I've seen it first hand where Left Wing Professors try to revise history to fit their agenda.

For example, I remember in Pan African Studies class, one professor said that the British created India's Oppressive Caste System which to me is an example of revising history and blamed many of the world problems through Colonialism. While yes Colonialism did caused many problems there are issues going back before the era of European/American Colonialism.

posted on Apr, 18 2016 @ 01:06 AM
link   

It is basically social engineering foisted unto the guilt laden brain dead using sophisticated tactics which have been around for milenia.
A great example would be Machiavelli who wrote the book the Prince which was basically a tyrants guide to maintain power by using insidious tactics.
The so called far left Liberals are anything but Liberal and are so far under the thumb of the Globalist agenda that they are self loathing lunatics that chase Phantom demons under the direction of institutional Political correctness which in it's extremes has turned into authoritarian tyrannical hypocrisy and is used mainly to demonize white males into subservient hen pecked supplicants scared to speak against injustice as they will be branded racist or misogynist.
And the real issues go unspoken by these social justice warriors such as the military industrial complex engineering wars that kill and mass murder large swathes of the human population.
So the far left espouse the very opposite of which they are,they are an inversion of the ideology they are supposed to pursue.

The overall goal of the criminal establishment is to consolidate power into as few hands as possible by using a Pyramid structure of compartmentalization whereby the further down the chain you go the less aware you of what the overall agenda is.
The endgame is a neo feudal system which can be seen in the classic manors of England whereby people served on a farm for the land Baron who then had total control over their lives.
Good people join the establishment with good intentions but the overall system is inherently Evil and controlled by establishment puppets that serve the overall anti human agenda.
The far left is controlled through the likes of the snake tongued Nazi collaborator George Soros who funds groups such as Black Lives Matter and Moveon.org to implicate division in America which as you can now see has polarized into these groups showing up at Trump rallies and branding everyone as a racist who attends.

The far lefts stupid self destruction of America is an element of a sophisticated plan to destroy the American way of life and focuses mainly on conservatives,patriots and ex veterans who love the fact of who they are and tend to stand on the moral high ground.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join