It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Members who have PC Problems

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Great! Thanks. I'm trying it now.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
a reply to: CoBaZ

Look in the task mananger and try and identify any CPU and Memory hogs.

If all looks normal in there( i doubt it by the way )

Then i can only suggest removing the laptop covers and gain access to the heatsink and fans.
Blow out the heatpipe with compressed air, clean the fans and re-seat the heat sink with themal paste.

let me know what you find in the task manager

Followed the advice of the check the background tasks, Wrote everything down from a static, on both the laptop and the beast, Results were identical both in game and out of game on both systems. So it does not look to be a stray process and or service.

Popped open bottom panel and looked at the heat sink, clean cleaned off the old layer of goop with a little bit of accitone but while the heat sink was off I happened to lay it on the table....

originally posted by: Klassified
For starters, get rid of ready boost. Especially if those drives are usb 2.0. Very inefficient, and ready boost was one of MS hair brained ideas that didn't work in real world use as well as it did on paper. (You might get by with 3.0's)
Next, what is the wattage on that docking station? Unless it's higher than your Charger, much of your power is being wasted in heat from a CPU that's doing double-duty as a processor and a graphics card.
Add to that, all of the crap that eval Win10 is doing in the background while you're gaming.
Are you running these older games in compatibility mode with admin privileges? You should be if you aren't.
What are you pasting that with, and have you checked the flatness of that heat sink. I replaced a warped heat sink in a new laptop that had an overheating issue. That fixed it.

Lol. Give me directions to your place. I wanna see that rig in person, and have a few beers.

Yes it was warped. Pulled on out of my spare and flipped it in there. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the advise i never thought about Warpping of the heatsink.

As for directions It is not up to full running yet (half of my Beast Rig is down because of House power issues got to rewire the walls to separate circuit breakers so I stop overloading ant tripping when I bring the whole Mess up. Did not have this problem in my old house but this new one has serial chained outlets not parallel). I so want to have the Blade and the Nas working before I think of showing it off, May Youtube it when it is finished, also thinking of redoing the desk custom so all parts can be accessed properly.

CoBaZ.

*yeah I do find it strange that this topic drew the geeks and high techs... Maybe the computer helpless do not exist in as high quantities on ATS.

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Glad to help !

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have major PC problems. I call a horse a horse and people gasp as say "You can't say that!".

posted on Apr, 3 2016 @ 11:47 PM
link   

*yeah I do find it strange that this topic drew the geeks and high techs... Maybe the computer helpless do not exist in as high quantities on ATS.

Usually it is the more savvy who find places like this, away from the surface of the web, to hang out.

I mean, until SO has us as part of AOL or MSN, we should be safe down here on ATS..

Hehehe

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4 May I ask you a question about my Dell tablet?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3
a reply to: rigel4

I have a few dead laptops. How dead, I have no clue, some don't start, some won't get pass the startup process. I have a ton of precious pictures on it that may be lost forever. Does it really costs thousands of dollars for a professional to recover these photos for me?

For the ones that won't get past the startup but still power up try and boot from Ubuntu on a USB drive. From there you should be able to retrieve any photos you want as long as the hard drive is undamaged. Worked like a charm a few times for me.
edit on 242016242016bam04 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4
a reply to: Azureblue

iconcache.db which is stored in your profile folder, appdata, local, is where windows retains the folder settings for your profile.
Certain cleaning apps like ccleaner have an option to reset the icon cache. If you don't have any apps that touch that file, it maybe corrupt. So delete the file and then set your folder options to what you like and see if it retains the settings.

Windows installer on windows 7 is tricky to repair and if a repair install doesn't work then the only other thing to try is an sfc /scannow command on an elevated command prompt might work. You could also try the windows update readiness checker which will download any missing windows updates which may help your issue.

Your display could be a number of things, like someone already mentioned it maybe your web browser settings are too large. It could also be your windows DPI settings, which can be accessed from personalisation, display and reduce the DPI of your desktop. The other could be that your graphics card is set to overscan, check your graphic card control panel and see the section regarding display scaling.

Thanks very much for the very useful info, much appreciated. I will definitely try some of the things you suggest and I have done several of the others.

I'll check my browser settings, my DPI setting a 800 by 600 and 720 x ?? is far too small for me to use. Will definately check for overscan.

i will also check CC cleaner settings, I run sfc /scannow command every couple of weeks via Anycleaner but no go there and I have done all the updates.

Thanks for the help

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
a reply to: Azureblue

That sounds like it has many more problems than Folder View issues!

Perhaps a wipe and install something like Ubuntu may suit you!

Easy to do too.

Not that i like to advise wiping machines.. but you dont sound technical
and your machne sounds like it has many problems.

Wiping it would be the best outcome with whatever os you choose.

thanks - that thought often goes throu my mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

Thanks for the advice, but that's too advanced for me. Seriously, I killed a laptop trying to do something from Windows xp for dummies, lol. But I'll keep Ubuntu in mind and look it up.

edit on 4416 by ckhk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ckhk3

OK, looked it up. So how am I supposed to install it if my comp can't get pass the startup screen.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Lookup Hires Boot CD and build a Bootable USB or CD. Hires has mini WI dows XP and you can then access all your files to move to external drive. It's easy to use.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

I'm guessing that we exist in higher numbers than you care to know but we are all in awe and in "sit back and admire" mode. Plus I've actually understood .0001% so thanks all for that!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

Either you use the time capsule in combination with time machine on your OSX device to create an image or have it act as a network storage. Could also do both if there is enough free space.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Ill get back to you later

In the meantime do you have access to another pc and a
usb flash drive?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Yes I do, but that comp is really expensive so I won't be using it for this. Another user stated to do a bootable through cd or USB. I don't know how to do it but I'll go read up on it, I wont expect anyone to explain that process on here.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Thank you for the offer rigel4

I bought a old Hp nx laptop at a boot sale without the hdd ,And being the noob i am i thought all i had to do was stick in a copy of windows again and bingo .

But it appears it either has bios Shadowed ? because it goes through the process of loading the O/S then i get the dreaded blue screen at the end .

I was going to give it to a friend anyway but i am stuck on this problem / HELP

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3

Yes I do, but that comp is really expensive so I won't be using it for this. Another user stated to do a bootable through cd or USB. I don't know how to do it but I'll go read up on it, I wont expect anyone to explain that process on here.

There are only three tings you need to do with the expensive pc.

1) Download Ubuntu 32bit to be on the safe side.
2) Download unetbootin-windows-613
3) Run unetbootin with flash drive plugged in.

You now have ubuntu on a flash drive

Go to screwed laptop plugin USB drive and boot from it..
and follow the simple instructions to have ubuntu on your
laptop.

Much help for this process online.. but its easy have a go.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Thank you for the offer rigel4

I bought a old Hp nx laptop at a boot sale without the hdd ,And being the noob i am i thought all i had to do was stick in a copy of windows again and bingo .

But it appears it either has bios Shadowed ? because it goes through the process of loading the O/S then i get the dreaded blue screen at the end .

I was going to give it to a friend anyway but i am stuck on this problem / HELP

Hi.. have you fitted a new hard drive?

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Yes , it will boot linux live cd when i try it but not install windows again

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join