It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Members who have PC Problems

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Couple of things :

What version of windows are you trying to install?

What type of connection is on the hard drive? (probs sata)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

It was xp home edition and i tried xp black with the same results , i think it was a corparate machine before i got it , and may have something to do with shadowing ?? and sata

edit on 4/4/2016 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I think it has to do with the BIOS settings for your hard drive..

Windows xp (any) does not carry sata drivers.

So you will need to go into your BIOS and set the controller to IDE or might be AHCI = Off or disabled.....

Pretty sure thats what the problem is.

You should be able to Google the BIOS setup from make/model

edit on Mon, 04 Apr 2016 13:58:27 -0500581America/ChicagoMonday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Thank you rigel 4
us noobs are gratefull for the help and the hours saved

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

Thank you rigel 4
us noobs are gratefull for the help and the hours saved

No worries.. glad to be of help.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4
You can post here and at the same time PM me..
I'll be glad to help out.

IT pro.

Although I know you mean good, it seems an odd place to put it. Plus, you should expect to be paid for your help. Considering most problems require time. Time is a rare commodity.

I work in network security and pentest myself.

PS you should know about Apple products, it will be half and half in the near future.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well Unisys are being a right slow git, been a couple of days and no license file to get me started
probably they're working their way through them but at least theres a cobol-77 compiler and other goodies in the pile once i can boot the system up properly and looking at the basics from the docs i've read implementing a basic TP system with batch processing shouldn't be too hard.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Not in the corporate environment ... not by a long shot!

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Linux is the basis of all servers. Windows is the platform for most business applications. Apple is becoming a bit of both. Seems there is alot of people willing to keep this old fashioned mentality that Apple OSX is not a coporate model but it is.

I am a fan of Linux myself.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject

Linux is the basis of all servers. Windows is the platform for most business applications. Apple is becoming a bit of both. Seems there is alot of people willing to keep this old fashioned mentality that Apple OSX is not a coporate model but it is.

I am a fan of Linux myself.

me too : Ubuntu and suse

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

I run windows 7 Home edition and 4 gb of ram.

what program might cause all the icons i assign to my data folders to disappear all the time.

When i set the folder view options to list view they inevitably default back to something else. When setting to list view I follow instructions I found on the net for doing this. It does not happen immediately, it tends to occur over 3-4 days.

Would the fact that I use an LCD screen account for the fact that the desktop of many websites I visit greatly exceed the screen size, some websites more so than others.

What can I do to fix the Windows installer? Many times I cant install a program with out getting a message to say windows installer does not work? I use the Tweeking .com tool which fixes it most times but having to do it every so often gets a bit tiresome.

I cannot do a repair install because it gets all the way to the very end then a fault message (cant remember it now) comes up and undoes everything its just done. This has occurred about 4-5 times. I spent 6 hours one Saturday doing nothing but re-installs trying to get one to stick.

Thanks

My company had the disappearing folder thing.. was very odd. Took a bit of research, but I what I found is that there is a Windows task that is scheduled to run on a regular basis (3 or 4 days sounds about right, been awhile..) - and one of the things it does is "clean up" what it considers "unused" items on your desktop. The biggest target are... shortcuts to folder locations. Especially folder pointing to a network or external resource that is not available when that task runs. So.. that might be your issue.

I can't recall the exact fix.. if I remember correctly, I renamed the file that was being run which was easier than changing the task (which you can't edit). So when the task was run, it couldn't find the list of offending files, and wouldn't delete them. I changed it on the image, so I only had to change it once (and this was several years ago).

Here is a fixit from MS that might fix your issue as well:

support.microsoft.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3

I have a few dead laptops. How dead, I have no clue, some don't start, some won't get pass the startup process. I have a ton of precious pictures on it that may be lost forever. Does it really costs thousands of dollars for a professional to recover these photos for me?

Just buy a USB to SATA adapter. Typically unless your HDD is *click-click-clicking*, and it humms up normally, you can simply plug it into the USB of any computer with that adapter, and it will simply show up as another drive letter. Then you can browse and pull your stuff off. We do that on a daily basis where I work, it's very common.

I prefer the powered ones, they do work better imo.

P.S. I'd be happy to answer some questions as well - have close to 30 years experience in the computer field, and am an IT manager where I work. My most ingenious fix (imo)? A SSD that had critical info on it was blitzed by malware. Couldn't remove it from the Mac it was living in, had to recover it that day. It removed admin rights from one user, the other couldn't be logged into at all. So booting with Linux, I renamed the Windows command that brings up that ease of access box no one pays attention to at the start screen. Then I renamed the admin dos prompt to that command. After rebooting, clicking on the ease of access box kicked off the admin prompt. From there I was able to enable and change the admin password from the other account, log in with it, and retrieve the data. It's fun the things you can do with / to a computer.. and also amusing how terrible Windows security really is. : )

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3

Yes I do, but that comp is really expensive so I won't be using it for this. Another user stated to do a bootable through cd or USB. I don't know how to do it but I'll go read up on it, I wont expect anyone to explain that process on here.

As a FYI.. this one is like.. 10 bucks:

USB 2.0 to SATA adapter

Not advocating that one in particular.. just giving you an idea what you need. Then: just open the bottom of your laptop.. often just a single sliding latch to open, maybe a few screws (if you tell me the model, I'll tell you how to open it). The HDD is typically held in place by four screws. Once loosened (they won't come all the way out), you can slide the HDD to the side and then up and out. Then just attach the sucker to that adapter, attach the USB to any computer, and if the drive is not dead, it will just show up as your D: or E: drive (next available drive letter). Browse like any Windows folder.. copy off to another USB HDD or to that local computer.

You shouldn't need weird boot stuff.. adapter is the easiest way IF it is Windows.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
To everyone with a PC problem, please let someone else help you.

-a (seasoned) IT pro

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: fleabit

Yes it is Windows. Thank you for that! Now if it has a virus or malware, can or will it transfer itself to the new computer when I use the cable? This is my last project on my list that I'll probably do in a year or two, don't be surprised if you get a message from me then, lol. Thanks again!

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

I'm not Politically correct can your help me?

Oh wait you meant personal computer thanks anyways, I guess I'm doomed for like.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

You might be amazed at how convoluted mainframe OS can be LOL Z/OS is modern and still ridiculous, well at least until you get to BASH then all is well.

posted on Apr, 5 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Realtruth

I'm not Politically correct can your help me?

Oh wait you meant personal computer thanks anyways, I guess I'm doomed for like.

Therefore you will not need to be chkdsk /f

edit on Tue, 05 Apr 2016 15:11:32 -0500113America/ChicagoTuesday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Another problem I have is that the net takes a long time to change from page to page on the same site. The little noddy that goes around in a circle trying to catch its tail goes round n round n round n round n round n round while I wait for the page to change.

I run Win 7 home edition and I use firefox

I have cleared out the DNS casha manually and I set the fox options to never remember history and cleared the history manually anyway, still no change. Is ther an add on that slows it down?

Is there a free program that will analysise the computer and tell me what programs may be slowing the computer or the net?

I know there are lots and lots of programs that are supposed to tell me if processes are slowing the computer down and forever want speed up the computer by doing this that and everything else but nothing ever wants to put up a message "xyz program is slowing your web browser because of abc and would like to do A, B, or c about it"

also, is there a good free error or dll fixing program.

thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Hi,
Download Malwayrebytes and run it. ( update it after you install)

See if anything is found.

Choose the free optin on the link below.

We'll take this one step at a time.

www.malwarebytes.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join