It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 500,000 Americans Stand to Lose SNAP Benefits

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Are there over 500,000 thousand illegal aliens with jobs in America?

Kind of funny, illegal aliens can somehow can get to America and find a job yet 500,000 healthy Americans cannot find a job in their neighborhood?:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustAnObservation
a reply to: Sargeras

Unless the person in those three years realizes that the job they have isn't a job that pays well and decides to look into a more lucrative career, like a specialized trade (HVAC, mechanical jobs) or attend college, even if only to earn a one year certificate in something like "hotel management" in order to move up the ladder. I mean, doing the same thing every day will get you the same outcome. If you want a different outcome, you'll have to figure out how to change your input. And do WHATEVER it takes to get there. Some people aren't willing to do that - they work the same low paying job year after year and demand that everything else changes (the minimum wage being one example) instead of them changing. That is not everyone, of course, but my point is that a lot can change in 3 years but its all up to the person. Opportunities are there for those who honestly seek them and are willing to make sacrifices to attain them.

I do of course support aid for those truly in need and yes there are people who unfortunately are in that situation for a very long time. I only address what you said about 3 years at a low end job - perhaps some of those people should start looking into ways to get a not-so-low-end job. And the aid is there in the meantime until this happens. You can't do the same thing for three years and wonder why things haven't changed.

But you are ignoring the obvious, there aren't any good jobs, at least 1/3 of the jobs in this country are low end.

Meaning no matter what happens, no matter how skilled or educated, 1/3 of full time workers can't make enough to live period!!

You can't educate into or work at jobs that don't exist!!!

How can you not understand this??!!

Jobs exist because if demand for services or goods, they do not magic into existence because you have a degree.

Let's say everyone gets a degree, from a good school like you suggest.

Who picks up the trash?

Or pumps your gas?

Or runs the register or stocks the shelves at the store?

Or any of the other low pay necessity jobs at the low end of the scale?

Do these things then just magically happen in your imaginary world?

Because in reality, at least 1/3 of full time workers can't even afford to pay for shelter and food on their pay!

Do you even think this stuff through?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thinline
Are there over 500,000 thousand illegal aliens with jobs in America?

Kind of funny, illegal aliens can somehow can get to America and find a job yet 500,000 healthy Americans cannot find a job in their neighborhood?:

The illegals get the same pay but don't pay taxes, and get full welfare like they aren't employed.

Must be nice to break the law and get to have a far better life while doing the same job huh?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Oh, come on DBCowboy, It's not THAT bad.

In February 2016, about 121.76 million people were employed on a full-time basis. Jobs in the United States.
• U.S. full-time employees: February 2016, unadjusted ...

Kidding man!

About 75 million people are under the age of 18, 40 million 65 and older. Just looking at some figures here. I'll probably be back to this post.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Ah but you see, they likely know true poverty. They are willing to do whatever it takes. No job is beneath them and they find a way to make it work a lot of times. Anytime my family needs work done on the house, etc, we hire people immigrants because they work so much harder and do the job right. Some Americans on the other hand.. they think the world owes them something, they are entitled, it happens I think when you are born in a first world country. Many of those who live in poverty in the US have no idea what being poor is truly like.. in say a 3rd world country.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

That isn't necessarily true - a quick job search on indeed, monster and numerous other websites will show you that is not true. There was a career fair last week at my fiances trade school, a lot of people came looking for his type (aviation mechanics). Jobs are there, you have to be smart about it. Nursing is a HUGE field in desperate need of people, all kinds of jobs available and they pay very nicely. There are jobs. Do the research, figure out what is needed and what might be needed in the future - where is technology going? Or perhaps be a creator of jobs - find a niche, start a business, there are grants for that. Not so long ago North Dakota I believe was booming with jobs in the oil industry. Are they still? How can you get a job there, what are the requirements?

There are jobs for those who do what it takes to get a job. But not for those who continue to make excuses rather than change their ways.

As for who picks up my trash and stocks the shelves? People without skill, such as teenagers, or those who physically cannot do anything else, who receive aid and that is an AWESOME thing! And unfortunately, those who are capable of more but refuse to do what it takes or see the opportunity that is right in front of their faces.

edit on 31-3-2016 by JustAnObservation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Some facts to take into consideration:

1) Most of those getting food stamps are working citizens
2) Those that need to go on food stamps do not donate to politicians
3) Globalization has pitted Americans against other global workers, there is no Constitutional Protections for them especially like we see in other countries, where they look after their own.
4) The Poor and Middle Class pay taxes and yet have no representation in DC.
Despite the rhetoric, all politicians, like Obama, Hillary etc are corporatists and speak out of the side of their mouths about caring for the average American, when what they really care is about building their corporate globalist utopia.

Democrats like Hillary and Obama stab you in the back while whispering sweet nothings in your ear, while Republicans stab you in the chest while looking you dead in the eye. They both serve their Banking and Corporate Masters.

5) The amount of food stamps given out per person has decreased since the 1970's
6) Politicians along with their global elite cronies want to reduce America to third world status.
7) They are preparing for a Global Genocide against the useless eaters because we see the propaganda pushed all the time

If you do not work, you do not eat - Pay no attention to the incentives we have created to push jobs out of this country to build our globalist utopia

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: xuenchen

Hunger is a great motivator.

I think lack of opportunity not lack of motivation is the biggest problem.

Funny really, the same politicians that destroyed the job market are the same ones hell bent on making life even worse for the masses.

If it were laziness, then unemployment wouldn't be so low when there is decent work for decent pay.

It is all part of the propaganda the elite push

The number going on food stamps increased drastically right around 2008.
The propaganda machine tries to twist it in that people just decided to get lazy and go on food stamps conveniently right when the great recession hit. No, what happened was a lot of companies and jobs either went bankrupt or moved out of the country all that was left is "service economy jobs" so some people went on food stamps to make ends meet.
They wanted a service economy and want others to pay for it.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Take away something else.

Many innocent kids that depend on that food.

Nope. Not unless there's some repercussion (like forfeiture of body parts) for those people hiding behind the kids to full advantage.

I'm really tired of their hands in my wallet. Screw their damn kids too. They're gonna grow up and perpetuate the cycle if we let it continue.

Straight up the way I feel about it.

Just as long as you are ok with booting out all the Corporations and Banks with their moles in DC stealing from my wallet
How do we boot them out? We could save trillions in booting them out

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

That isn't necessarily true - a quick job search on indeed, monster and numerous other websites will show you that is not true. There was a career fair last week at my fiances trade school, a lot of people came looking for his type (aviation mechanics). Jobs are there, you have to be smart about it. Nursing is a HUGE field in desperate need of people, all kinds of jobs available and they pay very nicely. There are jobs. Do the research, figure out what is needed and what might be needed in the future - where is technology going? Or perhaps be a creator of jobs - find a niche, start a business, there are grants for that. Not so long ago North Dakota I believe was booming with jobs in the oil industry. Are they still? How can you get a job there, what are the requirements?

There are jobs for those who do what it takes to get a job. But not for those who continue to make excuses rather than change their ways.

As for who picks up my trash and stocks the shelves? People without skill, such as teenagers, or those who physically cannot do anything else, who receive aid and that is an AWESOME thing! And unfortunately, those who are capable of more but refuse to do what it takes or see the opportunity that is right in front of their faces.

So teenagers and disabled folks are who you see picking up your trash?

No?

There is a reason for that, it is reality, teenagers are in school or sleeping while trash collection is going on and hadicapable types can't do it, it is a physically demanding job.

You are trying to deny reality to keep your illusion of the world alive.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

If you call the business practices of most of the Super rich success... You know, building iphones with forced slave labor in China to sell in America at premium prices.. Hint, that is not successful, that is disgraceful. Or buy politicians to make laws that screw over all the workers so you can make even more money you don't need... Not success, just twisted, because all that really did was created suffering since if you already have multiple billions a couple billion more cannot do anything for you.

The current system we have is designed to make the rich grow richer and the too big to fail grow bigger.
Nothing has changed with the too big to fail banks or corporations since 2008
The policies in place by politicians and corporate elite is to consolidate power for themselves and to kill any small business start ups and low income people.

Years ago, you could be down on your luck and knock on small business doors for a job and talk directly to the business owner and get hired. Small business were pillars of the community and the workers, consumers and owners knew each other.

Now you will never see the business owner among the big corporations but only see one of their lower level lapdogs that shield themselves from everyone else. Some even build their own elevators so they do not see their own workers. Many times they have their production in one state and their headquarters in another state.

It is quite a Satanic System we have going

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Well I was working as a teenager and nearly everyone I know did as well. But anyway, you misunderstand me. Those jobs are also for those who have mental barriers that keep them from doing what is necessary to move up in the world. And they get aid for that. Like food stamps. That is taken care of already. There are so many people who can stock shelves and pick up trash - it requires no skill. Hence the pay is low. Again, I am addressing what you said regarding working the same job for 3 years that pays a poor wage - those without physical and mental/emotional barriers move on from those jobs and find opportunities, which are out there. Those who don't receive their basic survival necessities.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Well I was working as a teenager and nearly everyone I know did as well. But anyway, you misunderstand me. Those jobs are also for those who have mental barriers that keep them from doing what is necessary to move up in the world. And they get aid for that. Like food stamps. That is taken care of already. There are so many people who can stock shelves and pick up trash - it requires no skill. Hence the pay is low. Again, I am addressing what you said regarding working the same job for 3 years that pays a poor wage - those without physical and mental/emotional barriers move on from those jobs and find opportunities, which are out there. Those who don't receive their basic survival necessities.

No they don't!!

Because there aren't any decent jobs for regular folks!!

Leave your imaginary world out if it.

Who is actually picking up your trash?

Regular people!

Who is at the gas station in the morning?

Regular people!!

Who are actually working all these low end jobs?

Regular people!!

Not kids, not retards, not physically disabled folks, just regular average adults!!

The world is as it is, not as you wish it were.

Education is a lottery, where if you lose, you lose big time, with no way out of the debt and still working the same # job!

Most people aren't minorities, hence them being in the majority, and have very little chance of getting much help to pay for school!

You are commenting on the world you want, not the world that is!
edit on 31-3-2016 by Sargeras because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Average people.. who can't seem to figure out how to progress. I used to work those jobs too - I figured out how to move forward in life. It required a lot of sacrifice on my part but hey, it worked! So yes in addition to the demographics mentioned, average people do as well, but they are just that then - average. Performing a job anyone can do instead of searching for ways to move up. And that is one of the reasons why the pay is low. As I mentioned before, do some research and you will find that there are many fields in desperate need of people and there are ways to get there. It takes some dedication though, and many average people aren't willing to put in the effort - hence, the jobs pay more, because they take effort, time, and sacrifice to get there. And again, for those average people who cannot make it by, there are programs like SNAP. The worst thing you can do for someone though is cut them short and make excuses for them - the best thing you can do is push them and help them realize what they are capable of and their potential so that they too will see it and be able to achieve it.

In regards to education, the community college I went to was very cheap and I worked to pay for it - I didn't get or want a hand out. I saved my money, I sacrificed luxuries like tv, internet, spare time, clothes, food, more. I chose a major that I researched and knew there were many, many, MANY jobs for because it is a waste of money to get a degree in something where there are no jobs. That aside, I also looked into no-experience required apprenticeships of which there are lots - in fields like HVAC as I mentioned and as mechanics. But I chose college instead. Again, opportunities are out there.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

It's not accurate though so super glad you quoted it for everyone to read again!

As of last month there were about 122 million people employed full-time. I don't have the figure for less than full-time employment but the employment-to-population ratio is 59.8. So essentially 60% of working age persons are working in SOME capacity. That would be a total of 150 million out of about 205 million working aged people. Now also consider that "working age" depending on the source is usually either 15 or 16 and up or 15 or 16 to 64. We've got about 118 million people who are outside of the working age.

Clearly this is still terrible. The employment-to-population rate in 2000 was over 74 percent. I just thought if we're going to be drawing conclusions on some numbers they should be accurate.

323 million in America.
150 million work.
118 million are not of working age.
55 million are of working age and not working for whatever reason.

We need 10's of millions of jobs and in particular, jobs that pay decently.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   

a reply to: thinline

Ah but you see, they likely know true poverty. They are willing to do whatever it takes. No job is beneath them and they find a way to make it work a lot of times. Anytime my family needs work done on the house, etc, we hire people immigrants because they work so much harder and do the job right. Some Americans on the other hand.. they think the world owes them something, they are entitled, it happens I think when you are born in a first world country. Many of those who live in poverty in the US have no idea what being poor is truly like.. in say a 3rd world country.

You sound exactly like someone I had a conversation with a few weeks a ago
A wealthy Chinese Business Man and it went something like this

Chinese Business Man: Americans feel they are entitled to a high standard of living
Me: So you think we should take a cut in pay with the rest of the world and live 10 to a room making a dollar a day like they do in China?
Chinese Business Man: Yes, your country is too spoiled
Me: And what about people like you taking a cut in pay, it sounds like you feel entitled
Chinese Business Man: It is NONE of your business how much I make
Me: But you make it your business to care about what others make below you.
Chinese Business Man: Start your own dam business then and then you to can pay others what you like
Me: I would love to, but too many Big Companies have got in bed with our government and wrote policies to kill off their smaller competition. How does a startup company compete with slave labor in China?
Chinese Business Man: That is part of business as well in getting politicians to work for you, to bad you lose.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: jacobe001

Funny, because I do not identify with this man at all, nor do I agree with him.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Funny, because I do not identify with this man at all, nor do I agree with him.

Well Washington Dc is full to the brim of these revolving door industry types on the inside and Lobbyists on the outside
That is the reality, not the constant theoretical world many would like to see.

See my thread I posted awhile back
These policies have consequences

www.abovetopsecret.com...

How Corporate Lobbyists Conquered American Democracy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Good food stamps is ruining America.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I don't necessarily agree or disagree - I believe there is a LOT wrong with the system, don't get me wrong! But when you are struggling financially, what are you going to do about it? Complain about the system and how it wrongs you? Or do whatever it takes to get ahead, regardless of current events? Cry about your low pay after a long shift? Or spend every spare minute you have dumpster diving for valuables to sell, collecting pennies in parking lots and cleaning your neighbors home/yard/car just to get a little bit more ahead than you were the day before, to have an extra five dollars every day to save for an education or a business of your own or whatever? That's my point. Yes, things are unfair and it is awful and I hate it. But what can you do for yourself that will benefit you? In the end, that is what it comes down to. Some people realize this and do something, others don't. In America, we have so many opportunities to get ahead, hence so many people come here. They realize this. More Americans need to as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join