It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Claims Another Career This Time Pittsburgh Media

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
No they don't. Been there done that. I was working for a company that made machinery for the plastics industry. On my own time I developed a device that assists handicapped children. Because that device had nothing to do with what my company manufactured, because I used no company resources in developing it, I owned the patent free and clear.

Then you got a good contract. In software it's much different. Literally any code you write, whether or not it's related to the job generally goes to your company even if you write it at home on your own time. In many cases any non software items you produce also go to the company.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Patent law is a bit more developed for mechanical devices. My employer actually consulted their lawyer when I sold my patent. He thought that the company should get part of what I sold it for. The lawyer told him that he didn't have a leg to stand on. A few years later I was one of eight people who got permanently laid off just before we were to become vested in their old pension plan. it cost me $80,000 in deferred bonuses that I bought into the plan with. Now my hobby is supporting their old equipment that they don't support any more. I designed most of it and it is pretty easy to re-engineer spare parts.

posted on Apr, 1 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

And yet, your employer still tried to screw you. Some percentage of the time they will be successful in doing so. It all depends on the judge, and if you can afford to buy a lawyer that has paid for that judges favor.

It worked out for you, but for every case where it works out there's atleast two where it doesn't.

posted on Apr, 4 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You have a point to a point, but, a lot of it is knowing what is in the contract that you sign when you are hired. You would be surprised by the number of people who sign them without reading or totally understanding them. I'm pretty sure that this is what gave them the ability to fire Ms. Bell.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join