It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Claims Another Career This Time Pittsburgh Media

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I know you replied to krazyshot but I'm going to throw in my two cents.

So you would be here saying the same thing if someone was fired for their facebook support of gay marriage?

She made the post on her "Wendy Bell WTAE" Facebook page. So this is rather a moot point. She also likely had what is known as a morals clause in her contract which would mean she agreed to comport her public behavior to the standards of her employer.

So yes, I would say the same thing in regards to the legality.

Whether or not I would support WTAE's decision would be a different issue altogether. I wouldn't and I'm not going to pretend that the two are comparable either.

If she was fired for saying, "It doesn't take a demographer to know that Trump supporters don't know any better than to have sex with their immediate family members," would you be asking if anyone would support her being fired for reminding people to vote?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Wendy Bell posted a message on her Facebook page that offended many of our viewers

from here

Seems to be conflicting, did she post on her own page or the company page ? If it's the company page then sure, I agree she should at least be suspended or fined for her actions but if it's her own page then no, she should not be punished for voicing her own opinion which is nothing to do with the company

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

It was the companies page. That's why.

"Wendy’s recent comments on a WTAE Facebook page were inconsistent with the company’s ethics and journalistic standards.”
edit on 31-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I did some research. She did in fact make the initial post (and apology) to her WTAE Facebook page.

That does muddy the waters for me now. I initially read "personal" page.

However, her ascertations still speak to me. There is a huge problem with black on black crime in this city and in the nation. Now I can really understand how, with the event so physically close to the studio she was sitting in, her statements. Using the "company" Facebook page was ill advised, and no doubt in some violation of her contract.

The "good" that comes from is hopefully some people in the Pittsburgh market will (as Mike Myers used to say on Kaffee Talk) "discuss among your selves."

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Glinda

Oh this is PURE GOSSIP TALK AMONG pittsburgher's. Phone rang many times to spread the news here...😉
But notice the respect from WPXI, KDKA and even her own former employer WTEA. as to not mention this on thier Internet front page.

I agree that her personal life would be PC over stepping freedom of speech boundries. But this a Contractual legality.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Yeah my response was on the assumption it was her personal page too.

If it was a company page then ignore what I said, it's open season and she should have known better

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: TheBulk

Such is life. The internet isn't as anonymous as we'd like. Too many treat Facebook as a means to just say whatever the hell they want.

So you would be here saying the same thing if someone was fired for their facebook support of gay marriage?

I just love it when people who are ideologically opposed to me pretend like they'd know what I'D do in a situation with reversed circumstances.

Odd that you took the time to respond, but not to answer the question.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Screenshot here. "Wendy Bell WTAE"

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
People are executing pregnant women at BBQ's but all anyone will talk about is the etiquette of language.

Politically correct insanity has crossed the rubicon. I pity anyone who doesn't find this heinous crime has only been made worse by firing her. After 18 years. She doesn't get a warning, a review, a suspension, a transfer, ... nothing. Just ... fired. Over this?

The fractured self image of the public is real. Facts don't matter. It's how we "feel" that rules.

If the reader is really interested in splitting hairs about weather she should or should not have said these things... compared to the predictably horrible things happening to our families. I ... I don't want to talk with you any more...
You are preaching moderation from the flaming pit of hell. # off.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
Doesn't matter the contract she signed should ONLY apply during the hours which she is paid.

When she's not being paid and thus not working the contract she signed should be irrelevant to what she does within her own time.

Or are you happy for your overlords to have complete control of you 24 hours a day ?

Since the post was made to her WTAE FB page, it occurred while 'she was working'.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

You're right. As long as bad things happen in the world, nobody should ever be fired.

I pity anyone who doesn't find this heinous crime has only been made worse by firing her.

Who is really overreacting here? Her termination doesn't make those murders worse.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Of course you completely ignore the fact that what she said was completely true and that she shouldn't have been fired and people shouldn't have even been offended by hearing the truth.
edit on 3/31/2016 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

If you don't know by 2016 that you can be fired for things you say on Facebook then you must be living under a rock.

So you support her firing or are at least justifying it?

Why am I not surprised.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Of course you completely ignore the fact that what she said was completely true and that she shouldn't have been fired and people shouldn't have even been offended by hearing the truth.

Of course I did, because that has nothing to do with the point I was getting across. You CAN get fired for putting stuff on Facebook. Welcome to the 21st century. That's how things work these days.
edit on 31-3-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

If you don't know by 2016 that you can be fired for things you say on Facebook then you must be living under a rock.

So you support her firing or are at least justifying it?

Why am I not surprised.

Was it illegal? No. Then I don't care one way or the other.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

We all know blacks shoot the sh!t out of each other, but it was really really stupid of her to state the blatantly obvious on Facebook.

She could not have been sober at the time.

Had to know she would catch Hell.

Not much sympathy for people too stupid for their own good.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

The truth is ESPECIALLY offensive.

You've got the whole thing backwards.

If it wasn't the truth, nobody would care and she would likely still have a job.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I'm getting sick of this, she isn't paid 24 hours a day what she does and says on her own time is her own business not that of the company she works for.

When companies start paying people 24 hours a day and can own what they say & do during that 24 hour period then they can have legitimate claims firing people for what they do/say on what is company time, until then in my opinion these dismissals are completely unjust and unfair

Has anybody ever tried going to court against such unfair dismissals ?

Under most contracts companies can regulate what you say 24 hours/day, get the automatic rights to anything you create on your own time, and still only pay you 8 hours/day. You can thank the people who felt employers needed more rights for that one.

It's wrong that you can get fired for what you say outside of a work setting, but that's not PC, that's just the world being screwed up. It doesn't even have to be offensive, your employer can fire you for having a picture of a cat on your facebook that you put up there on personal time.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I'm getting sick of this, she isn't paid 24 hours a day what she does and says on her own time is her own business not that of the company she works for.

When companies start paying people 24 hours a day and can own what they say & do during that 24 hour period then they can have legitimate claims firing people for what they do/say on what is company time, until then in my opinion these dismissals are completely unjust and unfair

Has anybody ever tried going to court against such unfair dismissals ?

Under most contracts companies can regulate what you say 24 hours/day, get the automatic rights to anything you create on your own time, and still only pay you 8 hours/day. You can thank the people who felt employers needed more rights for that one.

It's wrong that you can get fired for what you say outside of a work setting, but that's not PC, that's just the world being screwed up. It doesn't even have to be offensive, your employer can fire you for having a picture of a cat on your facebook that you put up there on personal time.

This. Or do people forget all the times people have been fired for putting pictures of themselves with a beer in their hand on facebook?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
get the automatic rights to anything you create on your own time

No they don't. Been there done that. I was working for a company that made machinery for the plastics industry. On my own time I developed a device that assists handicapped children. Because that device had nothing to do with what my company manufactured, because I used no company resources in developing it, I owned the patent free and clear.

Since then I've developed a few things for the plastics industry and I still own the rights to them because the limitations in my contract have run out. I've also got a few irons burning with the glass industry.

Her problem was that she was using her position as a local celebrity to give credibility to her view points. Even on her personal Facebook site she referenced her position with WTAE. I've met Wendy several times and always found her to be an extremely nice person. I feel for being in this situation, but, she brought it on her self. It is a damn shame that those who speak the truth must be destroyed if they don't toe the PC line.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join