It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC Claims Another Career This Time Pittsburgh Media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
WTAE TV fired its 18 year veteran anchor, Wendy Bell for expressing her opinion on her PERSONAL Facebook page about a recent ambush shooting, in the Pittsburgh suburb of Wilkinsburg--walking distance to the WTAE studios, where six people died.

Here is the link:

www.post-gazette.com... hobox&utm_medium=social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1459367517

Now media reports on the ongoing investigation (who the actual suspects are) pretty much support Bell's opinion. But better PC than anything else.

Now local media (other than print) is pretty much ignoring this, but as you can imagine social media is a frenzy. I learned, via Twitter, that breakrooms of local businesses are now "hate spots" if discussing Bells "hate speech."

No problems are ever solved by being ignored.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Glinda

If you don't know by 2016 that you can be fired for things you say on Facebook then you must be living under a rock.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The funny thing is that she never mentioned race in her post.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I'm getting sick of this, she isn't paid 24 hours a day what she does and says on her own time is her own business not that of the company she works for.

When companies start paying people 24 hours a day and can own what they say & do during that 24 hour period then they can have legitimate claims firing people for what they do/say on what is company time, until then in my opinion these dismissals are completely unjust and unfair

Has anybody ever tried going to court against such unfair dismissals ?
edit on 31/3/16 by Discotech because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

Well, perhaps she shouldn't have signed that dotted line that explicitly states the grounds for dismissal and how social media can meet that criteria.

Not saying I agree with it, but I know for me personally, if I were to "badmouth," my company and they were to find it... buh-bye!

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Yes, and they are generally told to actually read their contracts before signing them.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

The thing is, she didn't say anything that the police didn't say. She did editorialize (the suspects family/childhood history). She merely commented.

The shooting scene (and it was violent--two shooters, semi-automatic weapons shot into a fenced back yard) was within walking distance of the WTAE studios.

Her written opinion is being placed on a scale similar to the actual crime w/labels of "hate speech" and "white privilege" yet the shootings continue to go on.

If no real discussion ever can be attempted or allowed, how will any resolution ever occur?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Such is life. The internet isn't as anonymous as we'd like. Too many treat Facebook as a means to just say whatever the hell they want.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I'm getting sick of this, she isn't paid 24 hours a day what she does and says on her own time is her own business not that of the company she works for.

When companies start paying people 24 hours a day and can own what they say & do during that 24 hour period then they can have legitimate claims firing people for what they do/say on what is company time, until then in my opinion these dismissals are completely unjust and unfair

So the NFL, MLB, the NHL and the NBA should stay out of their players private lives?

The problem is that her Facebook page used her photo from the WTAE website and she frequently referred to the station in her posts. My company works in advertising and our corporate image is very important. My employer monitors our Facebook and other social media sites. It was explained to me when I was hired that I could be terminated for my social media posts and I WILLINGLY accepted those conditions.
edit on 31-3-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Such is life. The internet isn't as anonymous as we'd like. Too many treat Facebook as a means to just say whatever the hell they want.

So you would be here saying the same thing if someone was fired for their facebook support of gay marriage?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

"A statement from Hearst Television, the station’s parent company, said, “WTAE has ended its relationship with anchor Wendy Bell. Wendy’s recent comments on a WTAE Facebook page were inconsistent with the company’s ethics and journalistic standards" Per WTAE.

The above statement is a reflection that Wendy Bell DID THIS ON WTAE's Facebook page. And statements like this are not to reflect the companies policies or view's . She did this as a representation of the company. That's what got her.

If she did this on her own Facebook page. It would be different. Then again. If I can find her Twitter account. She made a comment in the last couple of weeks. Commenting on that crime committed in Wlkingsberg pa. Where 5 people were shot and killed at a back yard BBQ....

So she commented on Twitter also saying.... "I can bet I know what color the shooters were".

Wow... the award winning Wendy Bell of the "Mine Nine". Is gone.
This is not like her. Something has gotten into her the last couple months.

edit on 31-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

So you would be here saying the same thing if someone was fired for their facebook support of gay marriage?

I just love it when people who are ideologically opposed to me pretend like they'd know what I'D do in a situation with reversed circumstances.

link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Where 5 people were shot and killed at a back yard BBQ....

Why for leave out the unborn child who died too. The total is six. And it was an ambush shooting. They ambushed the BBQ, and shot to death a family with a pregnant woman.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 31-3-2016 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Would you be here saying the same thing if someone was fired for their Facebook condemnation of gay marriage?

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Oh sh!t... Sorry yes that too. Sorry I'm pulling this out of my head at the moment. Law enforcement or our DA Stephen Zapalla stated they have an idea on the suspects. But no arrest made yet.😟

Yes this was well thought out as an ambush. They knew the victims would try to escape out the ally. Which is where one of the shooters were waiting.

edit on 31-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: Name correction

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Funny how people have been so programmed now that they think it's to be expected to get fired from speaking your mind..... do really good sheep get something more than the other sheep?? Maybe in their heads they get something for leading everyone to the slaughter.... I didn't know I was supposed to hide my balls in a purse as corporate influence whispers sweet nothings in my ear. Losers.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

"Wendy's recent comments on a WTAE Facebook page were inconsistent with the company's ethics and journalistic standards".

Seems she should have posted on her own FB page then....and not the company's.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Clearly a racist statement. Its inappropriate to mention on the race of the perps where no photographs are provided and if photographs are provided its not necessary to mention the race. This woman is clearly out of touch with the PC rules of etiquette.

posted on Mar, 31 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Doesn't matter the contract she signed should ONLY apply during the hours which she is paid.

When she's not being paid and thus not working the contract she signed should be irrelevant to what she does within her own time.

Or are you happy for your overlords to have complete control of you 24 hours a day ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join