It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever held $800 dollars in your hand?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I just took my iPhone 6+ out of its case for the first time since I've bought it. I take really good care of my electronic products. I decided it needed a small cleaning and wiping down. Mine is an iPhone 6+ 64gig unlocked phone. It set me back around $850 dollars brand new out of the box. As I'm holding it in my hand, I'm left wondering... Was it worth the cost? If the device you hold in your hand worth it? What makes this an $800+ dollar phone? Is it because Apple says so? Is it because we're stupid enough to pay what's being asked?

Is the Xbox One really worth what you've paid for it? Is the PS4 really worth what you've paid for it? Why do we continual buy overpriced crap that's not even worth a tiny fraction of what we've paid for it? It doesn't benefit us. The actual costs to make an iPhone or ps4 is likely 90% cheaper than what were charged.

Are we as consumers really this dumb? Seeing as how I've started this thread from an unlocked iPhone 6+... Seems like a self answering question!
edit on 3/30/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace
You should throw that iPhone on the ground, to prove it has no power over you, that THEY CANT BUY YOU!

MR HOTDOG MAN
edit on 30-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The answer to all of your questions is likely to be "yes". I could gold plate a turd and sell it for $50 and somebody would buy it.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The costs to imagine/design/create enter into the hundreds of millions over the years.
Don't be so small minded to think that the manufacturing cost for the item you hold in your hand is all that you are paying for.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

True enough they would. I just wonder how long before buyers remorse sets in. Another's poo is another's treasure?!

link   

Yeah i got a 6 a few months back... not the plus, far too big for my taste...

Was it worth it?

Sure... Top of the line Iphone for a few months... No need for another one ever (lol who am i kidding)

Its worth it if you get a lot of use out of it, IF you wanted it... IF you enjoy it...

And you can afford it...

Plus its a brilliant little phone

edit on 30-3-2016 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

link   

My old Samsung 3 can provide more than all my needs. It was a present. (Cost me nothing) Now I use it as an alarm clock. Quite happy with a mobile that doesn't cost more than 3 meals a day over a week.

Still use the landline.

Kind regards,

Bally.

edit on 30-3-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Are we paying the inventors or the patent holders? Apple didn't make this stuff up on its own. While I can see your point, maybe, in regard to small startup companies, it's lose once bought out IMO.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   
what a bizarre guilt trip.

originally posted by: EternalSolace
I just took my iPhone 6+ out of its case for the first time since I've bought it. I take really good care of my electronic products. I decided it needed a small cleaning and wiping down. Mine is an iPhone 6+ 64gig unlocked phone. It set me back around $850 dollars brand new out of the box. As I'm holding it in my hand, I'm left wondering... Was it worth the cost? If the device you hold in your hand worth it? What makes this an $800+ dollar phone? Is it because Apple says so? Is it because we're stupid enough to pay what's being asked?

Is the Xbox One really worth what you've paid for it? Is the PS4 really worth what you've paid for it? Why do we continual buy overpriced crap that's not even worth a tiny fraction of what we've paid for it? It doesn't benefit us. The actual costs to make an iPhone or ps4 is likely 90% cheaper than what were charged.

Are we as consumers really this dumb? Seeing as how I've started this thread from an unlocked iPhone 6+... Seems like a self answering question!

edit on 30-3-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Could be a guilt trip. At the same time, I do love my iphone. That doesn't mean I'm so loyal to Apple I can't question their real notives. As with every conpany( that would be profits.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

what does it actually do [ that " lesser phones " cannot ] ? is my first qyestion

i have a samsung A3 - it was provided FOC [ free of charge ] to get me to renew my contract

i have yet to meat anyone with a more expensive phone that can demonstrate any usefull feature that thiers does that mine cannot

i now extend this challenge to ATS

i believe in the maxim of GETTING what you pay for - a subtle different to ` you get what you pay for `

style means very little to me - functuionality is king

thats why i paid nothing for my samsung - yet blasted out 475 for an Hilleberg tent

and it proved its value first trip out - of 5 of us - only the 2 Hilleberg`s were standing come dawn - so everyone else spent the next 3 days cold wet and miserable

thats the difference between expensive and over priced

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 03:54 AM
link   

$850 and it can still be hacked and tracked by the government.

Why do we do this to ourselves? Our smartphones have become the very epitome of necessary evil

edit on 30-3-2016 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I don't know if an Iphone or Samsung s7 are worth the money they sell them for, but you have to remember what that device you are holding does. Its not really just a phone. Its a little pocket computer, a quad core one at that, a GPS device, a satellite tracker..its astounding really what we each have in our pockets. Personally, i think they are worth the money we pay for them just for what they do. I was setting renders off on my machine at home from my samsung the other day while on the bus.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

maybe its because we want the galaxy in our hands...

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
ask yourself why you need it, all my phones are burner pre paids, no information is stored nothing. using a mobile for alot of personal stuff is poor security like banking etc your passwords are floating around able to be hacked, your information is stored to the "cloud" and we all know how secure that is. it's designed to lure you in and steal your money and information.
its a personal communication device nothing more, so treat it as one, messages and phone calls.treat it like a radio.
the only phone i miss is my old Motorola RAZR V3

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: PLAYERONE01
ask yourself why you need it, all my phones are burner pre paids, no information is stored nothing. using a mobile for alot of personal stuff is poor security like banking etc your passwords are floating around able to be hacked, your information is stored to the "cloud" and we all know how secure that is. it's designed to lure you in and steal your money and information.
its a personal communication device nothing more, so treat it as one, messages and phone calls.treat it like a radio.
the only phone i miss is my old Motorola RAZR V3

I must confess that i do use the GPS a lot and being able to browse and read websites and books on it..yah, its a general device. Do i NEED it? of course not. But do i USE most of its main features often? yes.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
well i guess as long as you enjoy it, i would much rather net surf where i am sure i can control my data footprint.
the modern Iphone phenomenon is a fantastic data gathering tool, with all net surfing activies logged and returned for market survey, your habbits are monitored for your age bracket along with everyone elses contributes to the design of society. quite orwellian i know but it is what it is.

edit on 30-3-2016 by PLAYERONE01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Are we paying the inventors or the patent holders? Apple didn't make this stuff up on its own. While I can see your point, maybe, in regard to small startup companies, it's lose once bought out IMO.

We're paying for both. You are making my point for me.
If Apple or Samsung buy the tech from someone else, it costs. And it's not cheap.
All the the 'in house' engineers, designers, technicians all need to get paid wages.
It's probably 500 or more staff employed who work on all the different parts of each new iPhone separately, and then it's all engineered to fit together.
Like another member said in this thread, the technology is over the last 4-5 years in these phones is pretty formidable now.
What Apple and Samsung give you camera wise on the latest phones is amazing for a device so slim.
Think about how much money you spend just to buy a 'decent' graphics card for your personal computer. That's $200 for one component.
I just don't think people take the time to consider what you actually get in the latest smart phone tech these days.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I got my iPhone 5s for free from my sister :/

The most cash in my hand at one time was 11,000 dollars.

posted on Mar, 30 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You should throw that iPhone on the ground, to prove it has no power over you, that THEY CANT BUY YOU!

absolutely awesome - love that video - been a favourite from Lonley island for a while.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join