It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Libertarian Gary Johnson in double digits in race against Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump: poll

Libertarian presidential hopeful Gary Johnson, possibly benefitting from dissatisfaction with the two major parties’ front-runners, is in double digits in a potential three-way race, according to a poll released Thursday. In a three-way contest, Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton was at 42 percent, GOP front-runner Donald Trump was at 34 percent, and Mr. Johnson, who is seeking the Libertarian Party’s nomination, was at 11 percent, according to the Monmouth University poll.

I know... I know... 11%... big whoop, right? Well, yeah!!! Especially when one considers that 75% of those polled didn't know enough about Gary Johnson to have an opinion about him. Three-quarters. If my figuring is correct (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...) that means that Johnson received almost 50% of the 25% who did know about him. I'm not surprised. More than a few of us voted for Johnson in 2012:

Mr. Johnson received more than 1 million votes in 2012 — a record for a Libertarian candidate — which amounted to about 1 percent of the popular vote.

No doubt many of those who do know Johnson remember him as Governor of New Mexico -- a very popular governor. (Republican) He has also created and run a couple of businesses, one a construction business, as well as a medical cannabis company. He could probably be called a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. If Johnson received a fraction of the media attention given to Trump, more people would know about Johnson and his positions on issues, and I have no doubt he would be polling even better. (Perhaps that's part of the reason for this Trump media circus; and I blame the media -- not Trump, and not his supporters.) I'm not the only one who thinks so.

"A vigorous third party campaign is a very real possibility this year, but it is not yet clear what the impact could be," said Patrick Murray, director of the Monmouth University Polling Institute, in a statement. "Including Johnson’s name in our polling seems to be more of a placeholder for voters who are not particularly thrilled with either major party choice right now."

Reason magazine seems to agree:

Libertarian Gary Johnson Could Pull Support From Both Clinton and Trump

And it gets even better.... Apparently there's been some talk about Republicans trying to hijack the Libertarian party nomination to fight Trump:

Republicans are dealing with the hostile takeover of their party by front-running insurgent Donald Trump, elements of the party have floated mounting a third-party bid or perhaps seeking to win the Libertarian nomination for a GOP-friendly candidate. The upside of running as a Libertarian is the party is quite good at ballot access – Mr. Johnson appeared on 48 of 50 states in 2012 and he said the party is on pace to be on the ballot in all 50 states this November.

As much as I'd love to see that happen, and all the attention it would bring to Johnson and the Libertarian party, I won't be holding my breath. I think the Republicans know it could (would?) end in disaster. As Johnson says:

Libertarians will choose their nominee at a national convention Memorial Day weekend in Orlando, Fla. Mr. Johnson said an insurgent challenge from a Republican would turn the party’s typically sleepy gathering into a mammoth political event.

Source: Wall Street Journal: Gary Johnson Says Libertarians Will Welcome GOP Interlopers — And Then Crush Them

Democrats aren't immune. The left has its own civil war going on. It just doesn't get the same media attention. If Bernie doesn't get the nomination, many of his supporters won't be supporting Hillary; while I expect most will go to Jill Stein (the Green Party), Johnson could get a fair share as well.

At the "I Side With" website, Johnson has more than 90% support from Libertarian voters for the Libertarian candidates. They also have a nifty quiz for identifying the candidate you most agree with.

More on Gary Johnson:

Wikipedia: Gary Johnson

On The Issues: Gary Johnson on the Issues

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Voted for him last election. If it's Cruz and Hillary I'll be doing it again

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: EightTF3 Me too, I like him but until something changes Im giving Trump a chance, his drive and ambition is why for me.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
He doesn't stand a chance being pro maunijuana.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: EightTF3
Voted for him last election.

Me too! We broke a record!!!

With the Republicans promising more dirty tricks at the convention -- or otherwise -- to stop Trump, anything could happen this year, and there may still be time/room for Johnson...

Yes, I believe in miracles

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I know... I know... 11%... big whoop, right?

He's gaining ground, and an option for those who won't vote Shillary or Trump. I think he'll gain ground, and pick up some of the exit pollers who thought about a 3rd party. If this election cycle has taught me anything, it's that anything can happen.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   

This is a big deal. Last cycle he was asking for 5% of the vote.

The Five Percent Threshold

I’ve been advocating a vote for Gary Johnson as a form of signaling, hoping that if his support reaches a level such as 5% that the Libertarian Party will begin to steal some attention away from the media gravity well that props up the Republican and Democratic parties. However, I’ve been astonished to learn that there is a real, large, tangible benefit to crossing the five percent threshold.

Let me put it plainly, in case you missed it: If Gary Johnson gets 5% of the vote in 2012, the Libertarian Party has access to millions of government dollars in 2016. Wouldn’t that be deliciously ironic?

I voted for him in 2012 and if it's gonna be Trump v Clinton then I'm voting for him again because of the 5% rule. I hate Democrats and Republicans.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
He doesn't stand a chance being pro maunijuana.

I disagree. I think public opinion on marijuana -- especially medical marijuana is changing. In part because of generational differences, as younger voters replace older voters; in part because of the revenue medical marijuana states have reaped, as well as the reduced enforcement, court, and incarceration costs; in large part because people -- including medical people -- are beginning to understand the very vital role it plays in proper immune function and activation. Perhaps most of all because people are fed up with the crony capitalism and many MANY other government abuses of our rights and well-being.

But there's no time like the present to put it to a fair vote, and I guess that can be with a pro-marijuana candidate.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

See... if Republicans really wanted a candidate who would be able to bring people together and solve issues, they would have embraced Gary Johnson long ago. Instead, they fall head over heals for the exact opposite: Donald J. Trump.

I am one liberal, feminist, pro-LGBT, pro-universal healthcare, pro-choice registered Democrat who would have voted Republican in a heart beat if they nominated either Ron Paul or Gary Johnson. Again, I am only one. There are many many many of us. When they shunned him and Ron Paul, I knew the Republican party would never get another president in the White House ever again.

It is like they want to dissolve.
edit on 24-3-2016 by Abysha because: Clarity

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

If this election cycle has taught me anything, it's that anything can happen.

Yup! That's where I'm at too. I'm betting dollars to donuts that we ain't seen nuttin' yet!

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

This is a big deal.

Thank you! It really is. A third party candidate has never had a better chance -- at least in my opinion. The voters are already going rogue. Gary Johnson is a damn fine third party candidate.

Let me put it plainly, in case you missed it: If Gary Johnson gets 5% of the vote in 2012, the Libertarian Party has access to millions of government dollars in 2016. Wouldn’t that be deliciously ironic?

I just wanted to repeat that -- it bears repeating! But let me update it: If Gary Johnson gets 5% of the vote in 2016, the Libertarian Party has access to millions of government dollars in 2020. Wouldn't that be deliciously ironic???

(Yes, indeed it would!)

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

See... if Republicans really wanted a candidate who would be able to bring people together and solve issues, they would have embraced Gary Johnson long ago.

And if they'd done that, then Johnson would still be a Republican...

Instead, they fall head over heals for the exact opposite: Donald J. Trump.

LOL! There's lots of good Republicans that would argue that!!! Seriously, I think much of Trump's support is sheer rebellion by voters who were betrayed by the political class. And that's not all bad.

I am one liberal, feminist, pro-LGBT, pro-universal healthcare, pro-choice registered Democrat who would have voted Republican in a heart beat if they nominated either Ron Paul or Gary Johnson. Again, I am only one. There are many many many of us. When they shunned him and Ron Paul, I knew the Republican party would never get another president in the White House ever again.

And they don't deserve to.

It is like they want to dissolve.

I think they're just too clever by half. There is a political class, so to speak, that works for itself, against the interests of the people, but with each other -- regardless of party lines. Some are just greedy, some are just "true believers," some have a more sinister agenda, some are blackmailed... Heaven only knows all the pathetic excuses these critters make for their bad behavior!

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Don't forget about Jill stein. Another woman that"s running. Right now she is who I will be voting for. www.jill2016.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Don't forget about Jill stein. Another woman that"s running. Right now she is who I will be voting for. www.jill2016.com...

I did mention Jill Stein (the Green Party) in the OP -- but she is worth mentioning again! I tried to find any polls with her included but couldn't.

I know Jill Stein and Gary Johnson have worked together on having third party candidates added to the general election presidential debates. Imagine that, eh? Two politicians from different parties actually working together...

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

This is great news. Gary Johnson is the man.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I love that! How many governors can say the same?

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If the winners of the primaries for this election turn out to be Trump and Clinton I will be voting for Gary Johnson.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Johnson is the only candidate that makes any sense to me. If all those who claim to be truly disgusted with partisan politics in DC would follow up and vote for him, it would be a landslide of epic proportions. If the voting machines weren't rigged in favor of one party or another, it would be a massive bloodbath for both major parties. If elephants could fly we would all need stainless steel umbrellas.

Will he be allowed in the presidential debates? Will he be portrayed as a "nutter" or some other derogatory terms for his stance on liberty? Since his campaign won't be feeding a lot of dollars into the BigMedia machine I predicting that he won't get much air time.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I may vote for him too. These numbers are promising.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Johnson is the only candidate that makes any sense to me.

I hear that! Reminds me of an article about Johnson from GQ last election:

Is This the Sanest Man Running for President?

It's a long read, but worth it.

If all those who claim to be truly disgusted with partisan politics in DC would follow up and vote for him, it would be a landslide of epic proportions. If the voting machines weren't rigged in favor of one party or another, it would be a massive bloodbath for both major parties.

I haven't been sure what to make of Trump's run, but I have wondered if Trump is a spoiler -- to spoil any chance for a real third party outsider candidate. Especially Gary Johnson. He could bring down the entire house of cards and I think "they" know it.

...he [Johnson] reflects on his chances. “I’m planning to exceed expectations,” he says with a smile. “Which are zero.”
(Source: Who Is Gary Johnson? And Why Is the GOP So Mad at Him?)

Johnson already has "exceeded expectations." He can only go up from here!

Will he be allowed in the presidential debates? Will he be portrayed as a "nutter" or some other derogatory terms for his stance on liberty? Since his campaign won't be feeding a lot of dollars into the BigMedia machine I predicting that he won't get much air time.

Again, I have to wonder if this is exactly why Trump is getting so much airtime -- and most of it is downright ridiculous. But for some, ridiculous air time for Trump is better than any airtime for Johnson.
edit on 25-3-2016 by Boadicea because: formatting and to add source link

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join