It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Brexit. What should we spend the £8.5 billion savings on membership fees on if we leave?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: grainofsand

Sorry fella it is mandatory..

Good old Tory's eh...

So are you saying the Labour party are advocating an opt-out for people who do not wish to be entertained?
Is it just the Tories then?
Please direct me to a relevant link and I may further consider this apparent generosity from the left.

Meh, I just like bitching at the Tories.

I got used to it and now I can't stop.
So that's what you are a Bitch! I couldn't put my finger on it at first but now I see it! You are what you are! Nevermind!

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

How very sad indeed.

Does your mummy know that you are on the computer so late?

It really does make you look foolish you know.

Anger and aggression with no real purpose other than to rant.

As I said in the other thread, why not go for a walk and take a break from it all?

It would do you the world of good.

More rubbish

And yet more absolute nonsense in reply.

Here is an idea I am going to throw out there and see if anything sticks.

How about you say something that has some kind of vague relevance to the topic in hand?

Just an option for you mind.

It is just that two word insults and random words will not really be effective in conveying your intentions.

I can help you try to form a full sentence but you will have to try as well otherwise we are both just guessing?
Most of what you write is gibberish rubbish!

And most of what you write is single line bigoted rubbish?

At least I have the ability to form a reasoned and structured reply.

As soon as someone goes against your beliefs you start throwing your toys out of the pram and loose the plot.

One word angry answers and insults?

It makes me laugh that you get so angry even when I tried to have a discussion about this.

It is your go now.

Two word insult and say nothing with it...
More mini pecker gibber. Like I said inadequate

You do realise that you are making yourself look like an absolute tit right now?

Carry on if needs be though.
Self deprecating are we!

Well i never expected you to go all Yoda on me?

"A fool making of myself am I"
Nighty nighty.

Godnight sweet cheeks.

xxx

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I forget sometimes optimistic people still exist in the UK regarding us as a nation.

With so much apathy and negativity in the UK these days I've found your comments hopeful, invigorating and dare I say it... Inspiring.

Solutions and a positive attitude, the UK needs more of it. Cheers

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
But if we leave the EU there is still nothing to stop you from moving to Italy or Spain. I lived in Malta for a couple of years before they joined the EU and had a visa for work.

You sound like someone who has been in a bad marriage for so long that they can no longer see any way out and dont have any confidence to do it even if they could. Vote leave you know it makes sense! a reply to: nonspecific

I also spent time in Malta and was there when they became a member of the EU. I remember how the young ones rejoiced and the older ones hung their heads.

I remember being in Valleta with fireworks and the older ones shaking their heads in shame.

They may or may not rue the day they joined the EU.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I thought of a couple of things I would like to add...

- Build more flood defenses
- Put a bit of the yearly savings aside, perhaps called the Independence security fund, which we could use in a national emergency.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
I thought of a couple of things I would like to add...

- Put a bit of the yearly savings aside, perhaps called the Independence security fund, which we could use in a national emergency.

I have read some articles lately which said that flooding didn't happen in these

areas before the EU's directive of not allowing rivers to be dredged.

So if the UK came out of the EU and restarted dredging which previously is

what we did!... the flooding problem would be solved, and without extra expense.

Again another example of the interference of the EU in the UK's affairs .... yet

another reason to leave the suffocating clutches of the EU.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   
If this thread has proved anything it's that regular people are able to make more sensible decisions about how the nation's money is allocated than the people in power.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
If this thread has proved anything it's that regular people are able to make more sensible decisions about how the nation's money is allocated than the people in power.

With the exception of the member that suggested we spend the money on a space ship that is.

That was politicial level daft in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

With the exception of the member that suggested we spend the money on a space ship that is.

I dunno - we could invite a selected few politicians on a tour of the space ship and then launch it.

Pity we only had 8 billion to spend - just enough for one way only.

On a less serious note - we could have more investment in canals. I might be behind with the latest info (again) but they could be utilised more for transport of goods. Or leisure activities.

edit on 25-3-2016 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

I dunno - we could invite a selected few politicians on a tour of the space ship and then launch it.

On a less serious note - we could have more investment in canals. I might be behind with the latest info (again) but they could be utilised more for transport of goods.

Canals are not as daft as you might think for non perishable goods but are they still all in order?

It would take a while to get up and running due to the slow speed but once you had a steady stream of them it would be highly efficient.

It would also be a job that almost anyone could do and free up the roads.

Far too sensible an idea to be put into practice though.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I kind of agree with crazy ewok. That the money would be best spent on improving the infrastructure. It's the only way our country can improve its productivity. Which we need to do if we are to compete on a global level. London needs another airport soon

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   

I would be inclined to demolish and remove all new housing built on flood plains and address unsympathetic farming practices, like draining flood plains! Hey ho.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I know a lot of Maltese are now very concerned with the terrorist threat. They were having problems with illegal immigration from Libya when I lived there 20 years ago. They were all saying crime had gone through the roof.

I love the Maltese and their way of life. Valleta is beautiful. Unfortunately for them though they are quite isolated with regards to the terrorist threat from Libya.

a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: anxiouswens
I know a lot of Maltese are now very concerned with the terrorist threat. They were having problems with illegal immigration from Libya when I lived there 20 years ago. They were all saying crime had gone through the roof.

I love the Maltese and their way of life. Valleta is beautiful. Unfortunately for them though they are quite isolated with regards to the terrorist threat from Libya.

I have not been back for some years but I know they had a problem with illegal immigrants from the middle east, they were paying to be brought to the UK or France but the smugglers just sailed round for a bit and dropped them in Malta to save fuel.

I think one of the issues with the EU is that we let too many smaller nations join that could not bring any financial or economic benefit to the union and just cause a drain on what could have been a good system for larger more prosperous nations.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I think one of the issues with the EU is

... that it contains the Germans and the French, both of whom want closer political union.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I think one of the issues with the EU is

... that it contains the Germans and the French, both of whom want closer political union.

On the one hand it makes you wonder if that is a particularly bad thing.

Great Britain as it is today is made up of four countries that where themselves at one point individual kingdoms.

It could be said that the EU is just the evolution of society.

I am sure that when England became what it is there were many folks against it and wanting to remain individual kingdoms but it seems to have worked out relatively well.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

On a less serious note - we could have more investment in canals. I might be behind with the latest info (again) but they could be utilised more for transport of goods.

Canals are not as daft as you might think for non perishable goods but are they still all in order?

It would take a while to get up and running due to the slow speed but once you had a steady stream of them it would be highly efficient.

It would also be a job that almost anyone could do and free up the roads.

Far too sensible an idea to be put into practice though.

Canals are actually a great idea, incorperate them with flood defences and you could use them to tap hydro power.

Canals were just as innovative has rail and a deadsight cheaper. The UK, especially England need to improve infostructure in terms of water control and canals are just man made rivers.

I think I had a "duh" moment clicking on about that lol.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

I would be inclined to demolish and remove all new housing built on flood plains and address unsympathetic farming practices, like draining flood plains! Hey ho.

That's one aspect of flooding we rarely hear about and I agree. Lack of common sense in planning. I have always said screwing with waters natural flow is the big problem...It should be common sense anyways.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Hardly a great example though mate, people didn't have a vote in 1282 when England finally defeated Wales by killing Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, it was done by force and bloodshed. England joining with Scotland 300 years ago there was no vote, it was all done over time through dominance and power.
We have had an effective union established over many years to produce the cohesive nation we have now.

The EU was sneakily introduced in 1992, no vote, no consultation, then piss poor countries joined which have been, and continue to be, subsidised by the UK and other richer nations such as France and Germany.
A mere 24 years to create a superstate of 28 individual nations with vastly different needs and cultures. No comparison to the many years and generations it took for the UK to evolve into what it is today.

No comparison at all, but I respect your right to devolve sovereignty to the EU if you wish, we all have a free and democratic vote so I'll respect whatever our people decide in June.
I will say 'told you so' if/when the EU takes the piss out of a weakened UK after a 'remain' vote though, increased membership contributions, sidelining of UK institutions, and all the rest of it which concerns me.
I shall not whinge 'fix!' and bleat about the result like some Scots continue to do though, auld #ing whingebags lol.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Hardly a great example though mate, people didn't have a vote in 1282 when England finally defeated Wales by killing Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, it was done by force and bloodshed. England joining with Scotland 300 years ago there was no vote, it was all done over time through dominance and power.
We have had an effective union established over many years to produce the cohesive nation we have now.

The EU was sneakily introduced in 1992, no vote, no consultation, then piss poor countries joined which have been, and continue to be, subsidised by the UK and other richer nations such as France and Germany.
A mere 24 years to create a superstate of 28 individual nations with vastly different needs and cultures. No comparison to the many years and generations it took for the UK to evolve into what it is today.

No comparison at all, but I respect your right to devolve sovereignty to the EU if you wish, we all have a free and democratic vote so I'll respect whatever our people decide in June.
I will say 'told you so' if/when the EU takes the piss out of a weakened UK after a 'remain' vote though, increased membership contributions, sidelining of UK institutions, and all the rest of it which concerns me.
I shall not whinge 'fix!' and bleat about the result like some Scots continue to do though, auld #ing whingebags lol.

I never said I agreed with it as such just that maybe a few hundred years down the line things will be viewed differently than they are now.

As you say the UK was formed without the willing consent of the people in much the same way the EU was.

It shows some progress at least in that we are finally being given the option to decide for ourselves.

posted on Mar, 25 2016 @ 11:11 AM
link   

It shows some progress at least in that we are finally being given the option to decide for ourselves.

Agreed

And on-topic, here's a thought, if we left the EU I'd even be happy to use that spare £8 Billion a year on providing quality assistance to refugees in situ, wherever their region is.
Play around with the figures as much as you like, but 1 million refugees could get £150 per week each, a fortune in piss poor nations like Jordan, Lebanon etc.

At least those people desperately need it, why the # should UK/EU money fund a free transportation system in Estonia's capital city for example?
edit on 25.3.2016 by grainofsand because: typo

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join