It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Republicans don't Want relations between Cuba and the US to be normalized?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Seeing the comments on several news sites and even twitter are the most ridicules i had seen about. The majority of American Republicans criticizing Obama on Cuba even if he plans on closing Guantanamo Bay.

These American Republicans who are criticizing Obama on Cuba dont seem want the relations between Cuba and the US to be normalized at all and there excuse?

Talk to the American Cubans

This is almost laughable because its clear what these American Republicans who are attacking Obama on Cuba want for Cuba. A military intervention and regime change.
edit on 21-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TaleDawn

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want "normalized relations" with Cuba. In my opinion, "normalized relations" are more conducive to peace and prosperity than heated, adversarial, or absent relations. Granted, my existence was still 13 years away in 1962, and all I knew about "commies" as a kid was that when that monthly test siren went off, it was called the "air raid" siren, so we knew everything was in working order for when the Soviet nuclear missiles were on their way.

Maybe it is more Republicans than Democrats, but perhaps it's more accurately more "Older People" than "Younger People" (those who have living memories of what happened in those days, and who lived the Red Scare and McCarthy years.)

For me, I'm just a guy who wants to go see all those old American cars lining the streets, and to not have to go through intermediaries when it's time to restock the humidor.
edit on 3/21/2016 by dogstar23 because: spoke (submitted) too soon

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I have a very good friend who is Cuban and lives here now - for 35 years.
What would you like me to ask him? He's here right now.....

Or do you mean people like Cruz and Rubio, who are Americans with Cuban parent(s)?

My friend is a Bernie fan - Bernie all the way.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

This is almost laughable because its clear what these American Republicans who are attacking Obama on Cuba want for Cuba. A military intervention and regime change.

Proof that stuff never works. People want to be free, even after their countries are conquered and occupied. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan, military weapons have accomplished everything that is possible by force of arms and still they refuse to give in.

Cuba is a bastion of hope for these other countries, look at the big America, impotent agains a tiny Caribbean country.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It is odd, just think of all the souls they could exploit.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The only thing that kept the Castro's in power all this time has been the US embargo.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I don't think anybody actually cares. Cuba hasn't been a threat since the fall of the Soviet Union. I'm more interested in getting some of their guys on the Yankees
edit on 21-3-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have being to Cuban and the only reason Cuba are stuck in the past is because of the embargo.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Or do you mean people like Cruz and Rubio, who are Americans with Cuban parent(s)? Text

Mostly American Republican Cubans i meant and some of them have fled when the Cuban dictator was overthrown by the Castro revolutionary army.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: EightTF3
I'm more interested in getting some of their guys on the Yankees

I would take a couple more El Duques, I loved that guy.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is the nature of current GOP politics. Despite running against public opinion in the US, World opinion and just plain common sense the GOP can not be seen to support the President in anything. You can thank the Tea Party for making the GOP into this freak show.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Theres no reason for the closed policy between the nations. We dont have to have the same type,of government. Let Cubans decide Cuba and Americans decide America.

Its an old neocon position. Some policies die hard. Otoh Obamas approach of championing a bad system doesnt sit well with me either.
edit on 21-3-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
The only thing that kept the Castro's in power all this time has been the US embargo.

This right here is a great point. Really, ending the embargo and restoring full relations would be the primary ingredient to eventual positive (in our opinion) change.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want "normalized relations" with Cuba. In my opinion, "normalized relations" are more conducive to peace and prosperity than heated, adversarial, or absent relations.
a reply to: dogstar23

Exactly. If we cease to have any relations with our adversaries, the door of communications is shut and all it does is build resentment and indignation. By communicating, carrying on relations and allowing tourism, creates a positive perspective towards the United States. It creates friendships among each country's citizens and lets them experience the positive aspects of democracy. That in turn leads to a country's internal change lead by the people.

When two people don't talk to each other, they lose mutual respect and they steadily drift apart. Without communications and an ongoing relationship, peace and friendship will never take hold.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Well, then, I propose an exchange.

We can send all the Bernie supporters to Cuba which is exactly the sort of paradise they all want, and we can take on some Cubans who would otherwise try to float here on rafts or get thrown into Cuban prison for expressing an opinion that isn't politically correct in Cuba.

It would be mutually beneficial and foster friendships.
edit on 21-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
This is the nature of current GOP politics. Despite running against public opinion in the US, World opinion and just plain common sense the GOP can not be seen to support the President in anything. You can thank the Tea Party for making the GOP into this freak show.

This is the truth. I don't like Obama and unfortunately helped vote him in after Bush but the Republican party act like assholes just to disagree on everything. It's not hard to find things you can pile on Obama for, no need to attack on everything.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, then, I propose an exchange.

I propose an exchange to and mainly thats to send every Republican to every of those nations that they proudly cheered for either a regime change or that nation is heavily capitalist.

Capitalism only helps the 1% and Capitalism hates competition.
edit on 21-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Proof that stuff never works. People want to be free, even after their countries are conquered and occupied. Look at Iraq and Afghanistan, military weapons have accomplished everything that is possible by force of arms and still they refuse to give in.

Cuba is a bastion of hope for these other countries, look at the big America, impotent agains a tiny Caribbean country.

No, much more is possible by force, it is politically lead military action that was used to its full extent.

Very big difference.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't understand why we never undermined the communist regime by introducing capitalism to them with open trade.

We could of had the Cubans themselves overthrow Castro decades ago.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nope. We want to live like Scandinavia, Canada, and Australia. It works.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join