It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would an Immigration Crackdown Look Like Under Trump?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
This has been tried in a few states at the local level with serious economic consequences.

Ironically..In theose states the same Conservative lawmakers that passed the laws stripped, gutted and repealed the crackdown laws.

Why? Because despite the insanely high unemployment rates they could not get Americans to harvest crops...Not teens, not black nor white, not the poor, not even prison inmates

Lets look specifically at...Alabama

(2011)
Alabama tried in 2011 (Video from 2011)

UNEMPLOYED AMERICANS RUSH TO ALABAMA 4 FARM WORKER JOBS...(NOT)

(2012)
Alabama Immigration Crackdown Costs State Up To $11 Billion, Study Says
www.huffingtonpost.com...

(2014)
Alabama is still paying for its immigration crackdown
www.msnbc.com...

HB 56, Alabama’s toughest-in-the-nation immigration law, is all but dead, but it’s still costing taxpayers money to bury it.

This is a good summary of Alabama too (VICE News – starts at 1:00 minute mark)

In the above video the local sheriff explains that after the crack-down...the drug trade remained "wide-open"...so the bit about Illegals being the source of the drug trade seems to not hold up.

Illegal immigration is a function of free-market capitalism...Labor Supply and Labor Demand..

Immigration Reform that allows farmers to import labor easily is one solution (right now it involves 6 agencies, minimum 8 months and a tonnage of paperwork and fees to the farmer for each worker) ...but realistically that will never happen as no GOP will ever risk running on a platform to make immigration easier.

Until then Labor Supply will meet Labor Demand...and big government regulations can in fact squash that free market mechanism...but the above is the consequence.

Interested in thoughts here...

edit on 17-3-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

I find it funny that most liberals are for illegal immigration, which usually results in unfair wages and unsafe working conditions..

And most conservatives (I should say neocons) are against it, even though they provide a cheap labor force.

Kinda backwards from both sides don't ya think?

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

(2012)

(2014)

Both articles are the same one !!!!!

Great tactic.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: Indigo5

I find it funny that most liberals are for illegal immigration, which usually results in unfair wages and unsafe working conditions..

And most conservatives (I should say neocons) are against it, even though they provide a cheap labor force.

Kinda backwards from both sides don't ya think?

Correct. Technically I am for Immigration Reform that makes it easier for agricultural workers and farmers alike.

But that is politically impossible right now.

That leaves free market Labor Demand and Supply over-ruling both politics and law....The free market is a powerful thing.

Trump wants to double-down on the failed immigration laws rather than reform them...A Wall, deporting everyone etc. etc.

Looking just at Alabama (there are other examples) the economic consequences for the country would be disastrous...It would destroy the agricultural industry and actually create a windfall of economic prosperity for Mexico as out entire farming industry moves south of the border.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Indigo5

(2012)

(2014)

Both articles are the same one !!!!!

Great tactic.

lol...thanks for the heads up..corrected link.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The main problems with illegal immigration that affect all of us are as follows:

- Crime: There are plenty of undocumented individuals who commit crimes...crimes that otherwise would not have been committed were they not here. We must also remember that they are all criminals based on how they came here.

- Cost: There is a myriad of costs involved with illegal immigration. Many of them (italicized to reinforce that I'm not saying all of them do this) burden the welfare system, use medical services for which they don't pay, cost tax dollars when they commit crimes and the fact that we spend time trying to track them down, and they often send the money that they make here in America to the home countries from which they came.

- Assimilation: Most legal immigrants come to America not just for the opportunities and general better living conditions that our country has to offer, but because they want to be part of the American culture. Most illegals that I have known (and I have known plenty, having grown up in SoCal and having lived in TN for nine years) don't have a desire to assimilate--they want to segregate themselves from Americans and become their own (insert country here)town.

I'm going to end it there, because I don't need to keep going on, as I'm sure that this is enough to enflame those who see my comments as xenophobic (they're not) or racist (they're not).

But in regards to your thread, what must be remembered is that we have conditioned ourselves for decades to live a certain way (with illegal immigrants taking on certain tasks, economies adapting to such normalcy, etc.) that we of course will have problems if that is stopped and changed abruptly. And of course no one wants to pick produce--we've raised a country of lazy and expectant people who sit around and prefer a handout over really hard work and an honest wage.

And I think that your OP supports that point beautifully.

I do think that the law in Alabama was a bit ridiculous in its language, but at the same time, pretending that just because we remove much of the illegal immigration from an area there won't be a relatively big adjustment period is intellectually dishonest. What you're trying to do is say, "See, getting rid of illegal immigrants will destroy our economy," and anyone who puts a decent amount of effort into thinking about it objectively will know know that such an argument is false.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
The main problems with illegal immigration that affect all of us are as follows:

- Crime: There are plenty of undocumented individuals who commit crimes...crimes that otherwise would not have been committed were they not here. We must also remember that they are all criminals based on how they came here.

Illegal immigrants commit crimes significantly less so than the average American. I don't think it is because they are more moral than US Natives, but likely less eager to run afoul of the police for obvious purposes.

- Cost: There is a myriad of costs involved with illegal immigration. Many of them (italicized to reinforce that I'm not saying all of them do this) burden the welfare system,

Illegal Immigrants are not eligible for welfare...

use medical services for which they don't pay,

Maybe?

The 11 million undocumented immigrants currently living in the United States collectively paid $11.64 billion in state and local taxes.

www.itep.org...

they also contribute Billions to Medicare, Social Security etc.
they work under false SS numbers, have taxes withheld and are never able to recoup those contributions..

Unauthorized Immigrants Paid $100 Billion Into Social Security Over Last Decade

news.vice.com...

- Assimilation: Most legal immigrants come to America not just for the opportunities and general better living conditions that our country has to offer, but because they want to be part of the American culture.

Most of them return to Mexico with cash in hand...where a dollar goes much farther for themselves and their family.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
It would be all smoke and mirrors. No wall or going door to door. The cost would be to massive and as Trump knows from having them in his companies the sad truth is they are the back bone of US economy. Like or not the reality is the US does not have the resources to remove them nor the ability to replace them if it did. This is why is has never been done and never will be done.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The country is full of people who can do unskilled manual labor,check the welfare rolls.Make them work for their welfare checks,and no it wouldn`t be forced labor if they don`t want to work they don`t get paid (no more welfare checks)
The government sends the farmers welfare people to pick the crops and the farmers pay the government whatever they were paying the illegals to do it.even the obese welfare moms could be put to work sitting at a table sorting and boxing up the produce.
It`s a win-win-win situation,the farmers continue to get cheap labor, the government recoups some the money they are giving the welfare folks and the welfare folks get to work for their government handouts.

posted on Mar, 17 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It wouldn't look like anything. Do we still believe the campaign promises of politicians?

new topics

top topics

join