It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking in tongues Real, or BS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

The simple instructions is this

1) no more than three to speak in any one gathering

2) it must be interpreted

3) If it is not interpreted that person or persons are not allowed to speak it again in the gathering

4) It looks as though Women are not allowed to do this in the assembly ( I know I might catch flack for this one)

5) Everything is to be done decently and in order if not it is not of God.

edit on 11-3-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hith Githamany rathgovetnahmesh olgothnia ravameck forgniash!!
by god!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
interesting you posted this. I learned to speak in tongues and how i was taught felt like a forcing to do something unnatural at the time,when i was a prisoner of religion. A few years later i met a jewish couple who told me i was speaking some type of hebrew dialect. I noticed the more i talked this way the more it changed, out of pure curiosity at the time of course. I will tell you this, it sure as hell f*cks people up when you talk like this around other cultures.

anyways, it's all bs to me now and simply a curiosity like ''all'' religion.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

speaking in tongues is not God talking to us but us talking to God..When i speak in tongues i am speaking from my heart and not from my head..It is a language that only God understands..

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

It is a language between you and God..nothing more unless he wants someone to share it..

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I had this really unique experience where I lived in a church in LA, it was kinda culty and I wrote a novel length fiction story about it(they hurt my feelings and I got my revenge!).... and I still write about it a lot because it was really bizarre. Anyway, this issue came up during my stay with them and I basically agree with Bugsy here; biblically, the apostles spoke in "tongues" and many heard the message in their own native languages- those that did not understand called it all gibberish and were labeled unbelievers.

If I had to explain that "miracle" now... I would say foreign languages could sound like gibberish and do when you don't understand them. And that probably, the apostles learned many languages and just decided one day to come together and speak in different languages to reach more people- knowing that their audience was very diverse. It would be like having 12 interpreters, each speaking a different language. In the LA church/cult I lived in... there was a spanish interpreter and a separate room for that audience. And if there happened to be, idk, a growing french audience somehow, then there'd probably have been a french interpreter and a separate room for them. And if you didn't understand spanish, or french, but happened to be in those rooms... it might sound like gibberish to you.

So, I call it BS. One huge con, at this point. Not a miracle. Not the tongue of angels or the spirit speaking in secret to God. Possibly not a planned con, though. But just started out as some educated guys getting together trying to spread a positive and peaceful message to as many people as possible and some other crazy nutjobs getting out of hand about it (the unbelievers calling it all gibberish help to make it sound really mystical and magical, even). And etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jon1

and that one according to I Corinthians 14 is to be done in private by your self not in an assembly .

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

the instructions on how tongues is to be spoken during an assembly of believers in in 1Corinthians 14 it is either interpreted or it was no longer allowed by the one speaking. and only three at most during the assembly

Not what I have experienced in many Life churches as everyone is speaking gibberish and no one is interpreting. It was totally unbiblical and in error of the clear word of God.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I believe it happens, but I would never point to someone doing it and say "that's real" nor would I point to them and say "That's fake." Not my place, really.

It has never happened to me, and I grew up in an Assembly of God church, so... Then again, I'm a real asshole, so maybe the Holy Spirit passed me by.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: jon1
a reply to: peppycat

It is a language between you and God..nothing more unless he wants someone to share it..
I don't want to discredit anyones personal relationship with God, but the people in churches ''speaking in tongues'' come off as wanting to be known as someone ''special' or ''chosen'' which comes off as an ego trip and not something I can learn and or grow from.
The best preachers I've ever listened to, do not use this method of ''speaking in tongues'' to communicate Christ on the Cross, they study the word everyday and not only the bible, they study references to the time of the bible and communicate in a clear language, the whole congregation can understand.
edit on 11-3-2016 by peppycat because: wording

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: bandersnatch
Hith Githamany rathgovetnahmesh olgothnia ravameck forgniash!!
by god!
You can write in tongues! I wondered about that!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I believe the apostles were just educated men, and cared about speaking in people's native languages. Their ability to learn and build that bridge shows just how much they cared... and that really would touch the heart of many. But it's no miracle.

And yes, the unintelligible BS is just a con. Basically, some silly men got it into their heads (after witnessing the apostles speak in foreign tongues and gain attention/love) that if THEY spoke in gibberish then maybe people would follow them and listen to them more. That's man's ego for you. Now you have a bunch of nutjobs running around speaking gibberish and the people(who really can be likened to dumb sheep, the bible does get it right sometimes) who believe it means you're special feed into these mens ego's by following them and their adoring gazes reinforce these mens cons and the cycle is born. The end.

It happens. It's a shame.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It's equally plausible to say that 'speaking in tongues' derives from a hidden subset of the hippocampus, accidentally and temporarily accessed, that encapsulates elements of a prior language spoken by the alien race that birthed us. The early church observed this, had no explanation for it, and assigned it biblical meaning.

This speculation of mine is also BS.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Yes it is a shame what men will do for money.

But this is what was said about the apostles so you know they didn't know the languages they were speaking but no one needed to interpret because they each heard in their own tongue.

Acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Acts 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Acts 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Acts 2:4 ]b]And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Acts 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.

Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

Acts 2:7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Acts 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Acts 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

If you look in the previous you will find 12 apostles and the 4 brothers of Jesus 16 and look above you will see that 16 languages were spoken. Not a coincidence but only the 16 men spoke.

Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Acts 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I have been around Pentecostals for years and God agrees with you

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

gifts of the spirit

Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
While I never experienced the speaking in tongues I do believe it's possible that there are cases where it's genuine. The reason is this.

I did experience the rushing of the wind. And it was quite the head rush. And for a couple of weeks afterwards the world was quite different. The best way to explain it is that all colors and smells were "emphasized". Like I had been looking through a dirty window all my life. Then somebody took a hammer to it.

: )

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Typically it does not come across as a real language, due to a lack of syntax, pattern, and complexity.

It's not only Pentecostal, though - Mormons used to pray in tongues as well, don't know if that's still a part of LDS.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: UnBreakable

My 15 month old grandson sure has his own language. But as incoherent as it may be, when he want's Papa to turn the TV to "his" channel, there is no misunderstanding the conversation. Be it babble or not.

Totally off topic, I remember a time as a very YOUNG yoot, when I could understand the baby talk of my younger brothers and served as interpreter for them. I did not understand why M&D couldn't understand them, as it was perfectly clear to me.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Yeah or men wearing aprons and white gloves and playing with knots and ropes around necks. Its all a matter of perspective.

We still speak in understandable English though. Even after all the Bourbon.

I think DrunkTalk is different than Tongues, though.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I find the most value in speaking in tongues comes from not praying about what I want or need; it is about me praying in the Spirit for those things that God knows need prayer!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join