It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran asked to pay 10.5 billion dollars to 9/11 victims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Iran was ordered by a U.S. judge to pay more than $10.5 billion in damages to families of people killed in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and to a group of insurers.

U.S. District Judge George Daniels in New York issued a default judgment Wednesday against Iran for $7.5 billion to the estates and families of people who died at the World Trade Center and Pentagon. It includes $2 million to each estate for the victims’ pain and suffering plus $6.88 million in punitive damages.

Daniels also awarded $3 billion to insurers including Chubb Ltd. that paid property damage, business interruption and other claims.

www.bloomberg.com...

I leave it to the members of this very forum to judge who acts like a 12 year old girl with daddy issues in Iran-US relations .

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: haman10

On which basis ?

Sounds like US is willing to retain Iran's frozen assets at all cost ...

+28 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Iran had nothing to do with 9/11.

So. Why?

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Makes no sense. That's the first time I've even heard Iran mentioned in anything to do with 9/11. Seems to be a stretch.....are they also suing Saudi, Pakistan, Afghanistan, etc?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Loool... that will be Iran's reaction to this..

+23 more 
link   
I had no Idea that Saudi Arabia had changed their name to Iran.

19 of the 20 hijackers were Saudi; Yet Iran is held liable? Seems legit.

+7 more 
link   

Why are they not suing the Saudis? Since you know, they actually had a hand in it.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
"While it is difficult to collect damages from an unwilling foreign nation, the plaintiffs may try to collect part of the judgments using a law that permits parties to tap terrorists’ assets frozen by the government."

I don't entirely like how the article doesn't state why it believes Iran is at fault. It just verifies that the US can do it because Iran didn't defend its denial... the quote above shows what its really about. I think Iran knew this was BS so they didn't even try but the people going after Iran knew this and just wanted to raid the coffers. They found a loophole to get tax payer terrorist fighting funds. This is a shame.
edit on 10-3-2016 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke

On which basis ?

Sounds like US is willing to retain Iran's frozen assets at all cost ...

I don't know on which basis mate .

I can relate to this though . one time when i was 10, i stick my bubble gum on my teacher's seat .

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Damn, Americans are stupid. This would never happen anywhere else.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Really ?

Global police and blatant thieves - simultaneously ... at the same time !!

I'm flabbergasted ...

+19 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Let me see if I get this straight:

1. Nearly all of the 9/11 hijackers were supposedly Saudi citizens.

2. Osama Bin Laden was a Saudi national and a Wahhabi.

3. Al Qaeda is a Wahhabi extremism group (edit to add: so is Boko Haram, Daesh/ISIS, and Al-Nusra).

4. Wahhabis have a blood feud with Shiites.

5. Iran has both a mostly Shiite population and a political/economic rivalry with the Wahhabi led GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council). Saudi Arabia & Qatar are the 2 wealthiest and most powerful Wahhabi-led countries in the world.

6. So somehow the people who've literally been fighting Wahhabis this entire time are now responsible for the Wahhabi terrorist attacks on 9/11?

How does this make sense? Why don't they just come out and admit what many of us have been saying this entire time: Western powerbrokers (and apparently our legal system) support the Wahhabis, protect the Wahhabi regimes, supply Wahhabi "rebels" and mercenaries, and are aiding the Wahhabis in their rivalry against Iran.
edit on 10-3-2016 by enlightenedservant because: added something in #3

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I hope the complaint included "and DOES 1 thru 99" so the entire WH admin, George Bush, Chenney, Mossad, etc. can be included.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Uhh wtf, it's Saudi Arabia.

Wtf this judge on?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

We also need to remember that these guys have been going at it, since pre-lost ... history .

Those rivers run deep ...

edit on 10-3-2016 by Timely because: it

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Beware the DNA evidence with saliva.
I must have done the same with a drawing pin.

No seriously. Does this sort of international conviction from a national legal entity has any value ?
Otherwise North-Korean courthouses should start issuing financial penalties against everything US-related.
Just a suggestion.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Daniels found that Iran had failed to defend claims that it aided the Sept. 11 hijackers and was therefore liable for damages tied to the attacks

So anyone can blame anyone of anything and if you don't defend yourself of ridiculous accusations in other countries you are liable and ruined... I bet America owns trillions in many countries that make ridiculous trials too

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I find this rather confusing. Iran never had anything to do with the plot which was enacted against the United States on the fateful day in question. There is even less to link them to the attacks than there was to suggest that Iraq had a hand in the thing. Frankly, I find this all rather preposterous and I think also that the judge in this case has overstepped the bounds of good sense.

What evidence does he have? Let us see it, bring it forward? I believe this is all the most ultimate nonsense possible.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theultimatebelgianjoke

Beware the DNA evidence with saliva.
I must have done the same with a drawing pin.

No seriously. Does this sort of international conviction from a national legal entity has any value ?
Otherwise North-Korean courthouses should start issuing financial penalties against everything US-related.
Just a suggestion.
This trial has zero international value, but it indeed has value against Iranian frozen assets in US .

i think most of them are unfrozen per Iran-nuclear deal but this ruling can indeed make some hundreds of thousands of dollars for the judge and others involved .

Money which belongs to Iranian taxpayers and people . money which can be used to build schools here in Iran .

and let me tell everyone sth : the US flag burning which is the pillar of all anti-Iranian propaganda is picked up from very very limited incidences across the country and as an Iranian i can tell you that the overwhelming majority of Iranian people hate those acts . cause we hate hate .

but, can you really blame those people ? money that can be used for their kids is being stolen by US . their country is being threatened with military action on a daily basis, unfair sanctions have been put on their livelihood, drugs were banned to be imported for the sick, Iranian airliners are shot down from skies and no one is held responsible, lies and propaganda is spread against them and so forth ....

people here have just had enough .

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Funny how Iran is blamed for this when we all know at the very least the hijackers were mostly from Saudia Arabia, but we mustn't ever mention them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join