It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Short short rant

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have certain peeves too. I wouldn't normally complain, but since you started this thread....

"Should of" is incorrect. He should of gone to the store earlier. It is "should have". I get why people think it's should of. The contraction for should have is should've, which sounds like should of when you say it out loud.

It bugs me, but I wouldn't start a thread over it. Naaah, I'm just giving you a hard time, implying that you shouldn't of started this thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I'm right there with you. Especially here, where people are trying to persuade others to look into something a bit left of center and conspiratorial in nature. If you can't construct proper sentences, type out complete words, or can't be bothered to use the handy dandy spell check feature already built into the software, I won't take you or your thread seriously.

"What does it matter?" - The often received reply to grammar corrections. Well, it matters a great deal. Does it matter to you that when you post anything it appears it was written by a five year old? Does it matter to you that poor grammar (intentionally poor grammar at that) reflects poorly on you? *It should.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Not to be confused with "shallot" which is a small type of onion.

Or Gene Shalit who isn't a shallot.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Or Gene Pool, which isn't a pool

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: berenike

originally posted by: donktheclown

Or Gene Pool, which isn't a pool

Or Gene Rodenberry who was not a berry...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I think you mean: alot, not allot. Allot: 1. to divide or distribute by share or portion; distribute or parcel out; apportion: to allot the available farmland. Regarding alot:

Though common in informal communication, alot has never made its way into edited writing, and it’s generally considered a misspelling. In any type of serious writing, the two word spelling, a lot, is the safer choice. Even correctly spelled, however, the imprecise term has a colloquial ring, and it might sound out of place in, say, a school paper or an email to a client.

A lot is like any two-word phrase with the indefinite article (a) followed by a noun (lot). For instance, a cow, a cloud, and a burrito are similarly constructed phrases, but no one would write these acow, acloud, and aburrito. Why a lot is so often compounded into alot is an interesting linguistic mystery. It may have something to do with the existence of the unrelated adjective allot, or it could be because lot in this sense is not common outside this phrase (though the plural, lots, is also common in a nearly identical use).
Source

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You are wrong.
Prolly is prollynot a word.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: butcherguy

Sure.

I should too I guess but I don't have much to offer the community .
I thought knowledge was something I could offer.

I'll shut up now.

Don't sell yourself short.
Just because I say 'Oh well' doesn't mean that you shouldn't bitch.
I like reading rants and every once in a while, I post one!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Oh don't get me started. I know. That too is just lazy pronunciations. When spoken should of sounds right but what people are saying in that case is written should've. I should've let you know I was going to the store. Otherwise yes should have.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The day will "prolly" come when the English language will be nearly unrecognizable. As a generation, we refuse to educate ourselves, and instead make excuses and angrily defend our severe lack of interest in learning, and proper use of the English language. We all make mistakes, but do we really need to gloat?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

No I wrote what I saw but yes I've also seen alot. My dictionary keeps asking me if I want to add alot or corrects to a lot.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   

May as well use old English if you think like this. Language is always evolving. It's painful and tacky but this is fact. We dislike it as much as Chaucer did. Then Shakespeare.

It's just the natural way for language to go.

I don't like it but I've accepted it.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

No I wrote what I saw but yes I've also seen alot. My dictionary keeps asking me if I want to add alot or corrects to a lot.

What you saw is extremely rare. The most common misuse is alot for a lot.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

May as well use old English if you think like this. Language is always evolving. It's painful and tacky but this is fact. We dislike it as much as Chaucer did. Then Shakespeare.

It's just the natural way for language to go.

I don't like it but I've accepted it.

No matter how much a language "evolves", it still must have rules, and be coherent. At present, neither is the case.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yeah I'm wrong alot I prolly should of kept my ideas to myself huh?
Lol my auto correct is asking if I want to add prolly or it substitutes Polly.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

True. However it was a member using allot that prompted this thread.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Sorry to be short on that last post I was running.

The OP is referring to a process which has happened to thousands of words over the centuries. It just so happens that portmanteau is common at present as it was in the past.

Who makes the rules are those who break them (in your eyes) and make new ones.

Look at Latin, we've broken hundreds of those rules with our modern English.

I hate to say it but I still say ... Let the kids evolve the language into whatever tasteless thing they want. It's theirs as well as ours.

EDIT I just realised he wasn't talking about portmanteau. But my points are still relevant!
edit on 7-3-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I have no problem with evolving languages. I'm sure I would get tongue tied with thee and thou and using words like fortnight .
Alot and prolly aren't English though.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Prolly is an evolution. A shortened version. Which is how hundreds of modern words came about.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join