It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louis C.K. Regarding Trump: "Don’t vote for your own cancer. You’re better than that."

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: blujack21
a reply to: intrptr

Can you imagine Carlin alive in these last 10 years? He would have had a field day with all that is going on. Miss that guy.

Me too. He is immortal to some extent. Lewis Black isn't bad as a stand in, either. Comedians will always be with us…

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I want to know what Conservative Trump supporters have to say about the way he treats other Conservatives and the electoral process in general. I want to know why Trump and not Kasich, as Louis C.K. alludes to.

I don't like to jump into these political threads for the obvious reasons, but I did want to comment on this.

Why is everyone so surprised at how Trump speaks and the things he says? He's a billionaire, you don't think that everything he says and does isn't very methodical and calculated? I see it as a simple statement...

"HE'S PLAYING THE GAME"

And he's doing so in a way that doesn't conform to what the establishment or the rest of the country is used to. He's playing the players. He's outed who the real players are (lobbyists, other rich people, etc.) Time after time, I've heard commentary along of the lines of "in all my years, I've never seen anything like this year's election" - and it's because Trump knows exactly where to push the boundaries of the process and the establishment, close to the point of breaking, but not quite. He knows when to say something that will push his air time up and increase his exposure. He knows how to say something that will turn into a sound bite and purposely be taken out of context, so that he can play the victim to the establishment, and carry an enormously sympathetic population while getting more air time to defend himself (otherwise people would see it as purposely blocking his ability to defend himself).

He is using the same propaganda techniques that governments have used for centuries (probably why he is being compared to Hitler), and unfortunately for the establishment, he has a far greater understanding of ratings, polls, shock value and public opinion as it relates to media, than any other politician on the stage. That's why Kasich and everyone else except Cruz, aren't doing as well because they are trying to play the old game with the same old rules that the establishment predicts. His comments are for entertainment purposes and shock value, and as others have said, the bark is worse than the bite. We have known Trump and accepted him for a long time to have a certain brashness and be rough around the edges, so if Rubio or Kasich suddenly tried to do the same, everyone would know why and see it as disingenuous / fake. They can't step up to that level, but Cruz can and is, because of the evangelical nature of the way he speaks, he can get away with it to a greater extent. But still not near the level of Trump.

But I also agree with others who have said the entire thing is rigged for Hillary. I think it is about the illusion of choice, and Trump is a wildcard in being able to use the media and propaganda to sway the masses enough for Hillary not to have a convincing win, and that's why both establishments (two sides of the same coin) are terrified and inundating the airwaves and internet with anything and everything in their arsenal. That was clear to me when Mitt gained any kind of air time after his disastrous loss in the last election. To me, that was a show of the hand being played - that they should have another rich businessman that ran for President describe for people the differences between him (a "real" Conservative") and Trump and why Trump isn't a Conservative. Amusing.... Pot, meet Kettle.

Louis C.K. may have some valid points, but in my experience, the entertainment community and celebrities KNOW that they have the ability to influence huge groups of people at a time, and fairly easily. For that reason, I think they have a responsibility to use that influence judiciously and cautiously and they do NOT. It still feels like I'm reading a heavily opinionated political hit piece. I do think everyone's opinion matters, but I don't think you get each individual's opinions because of the mass influence that celebrities like him have, so you're really getting the opinions of a few that are then regurgitated and re-circulated ad nauseum until people lose their individual thought. But I digress...

Interesting post.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
More and more this is looking like the Reagan election cycle with the left screeching:
"He'll have us in a nuclear war in six months!"
"Europeans would never respect us for electing an actor"
"He'll make Hitler look like a parson"
and all sorts of other ridiculous claims.
Seems like they just went backwards in time and picked up that old play book. It is really quite tiresome.
The only difference seems to be that all the RINOs got hold of that playbook and are using it as well.
Fortunately, nobody is forced to vote for either wing of the Demopublican Beast. There are lots of alternatives out there if one is motivated to do a bit of research and hasn't been brainwashed into thinking that voting for a third party or independent is "throwing away a vote." Sadly, most fall into that category. It's become like a sports competition, "Rah, rah, for my team" instead of careful consideration of viewpoints. We've come to the point where the media rules the election cycles because only the rich Two-Winged Beast has the money to buy up the media.
Of course the party hacks will tell us we're "throwing away" our votes in hopes of convincing us. But, you know, when they say that, their lips are moving....ya know!

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: JohnnyElohim

Louis C.K. is notoriously liberal, so his opinions mean very little to me politically speaking. As far as McCain goes, Trump is right, he does need to watch out. That isn't a threat, it's a prediction of what is about to happen to McCain in his own state... he's not going to be a US Senator after the elections are over because AZ conservatives are sick and tired of his lukewarm "conservatism." The man's political career has only survived this long because the AZ GOP has managed to bully any Republican that challenged him right into the poor house. J.D. Hayworth, a true conservative, would have whipped his ass 10 years ago if only McCain's connections hadn't slandered him and threatened any inner-party members who supported him. That's what Trump meant: McCain's years of bullying the nation and dictating which direction the Republican Party takes is over, finished, dead.

ETA: Trump 2016

Thank you -- I think you're the first to respond specifically to what I was curious about, and that's an interesting read. I disagree, personally. I think Trump responding specifically in the context of McCain having raised questions about his candidacy and refusing to clear up what he meant when asked what he really meant ("He'll find out...") is absolutely intended to be threatening.

It's a sad state of affairs in this country when we ignore a person's thoughts simply because we know in advance they are inclined to disagree with us. I watch Fox News regularly, despite being very left-leaning, because I think it's important to understand what that segment of the right is keyed into and why. It's hard to have the stomach for O'Reilly and Maddow, but I'm glad I do it. I suppose it's a bit like going to the gym.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: TheTory

Second, to condemn Trump about How he speaks about others,

I wonder why nobody condemns Rubio for his comments about Trump and his manhood?

I guess it's okay for one to do so, but not the other...I love the hypocrisy that seems to come about in threads about Trump.

Oh, let's be very clear here. It's just as awful when Rubio does it. The difference is that Rubio is not, at present, as important as Trump. He's also adopting Trump's style, not introducing a new tone to the dialog. So as a hanger-on candidate who is, late in the game, indulging in the same nasty business most of Trump's campaign has been composed of, he's just not the same topic of conversation that Trump is.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Louis C.K. Regarding Trump: "Don’t vote for your own cancer. You’re better than that."

And this coming from the same man who asked Donald Rumsfeld if he was a lizard.

He is a comedian and his job is to make outrageous comments.

If you observe the context here, it's rather clear that Louis C.K. is being sincere. This is honest and heartfelt. It is not the work of an expert in the area, but rather a public citizen who is disturbed by what they see. Anyhow, it's drastically more interesting to respond to what he said than it is to respond to who he is, but I understand if you're not interested in the subject of the thread.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SonOfTheLawOfOne

Great reply. I find it difficult to disagree with most of what you've said here. I think it can be valuable to look at the opinions of entertainment figures (like Louis C.K.), but one should never forget to bring a massive grain of salt to the table.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It seems to me when you have a reality tv game show host running for president, a comedian may be the best person to comment on it.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

See what I did there? I can play the "literally Hitler" game too!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

See what I did there? I can play the "literally Hitler" game too!

I think most people in this thread have acknowledged that iffy bit of hyperbole already. What are your thoughts on the highlighted quote regarding John McCain?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I would like to believe Trumps bark is worse than his bite. But when he says he wants to kill the innocent family members of terrorists, or wants to legalize worse forms of torture-- and receives thunderous applause... that's where the bark is crossing the line. It's a bark his supporters want him to bite on. That's why he sounds like Hitler. He even had generals saying they would have to refuse the order because it's illegal. And he followed up with a push to make torture and worse legal.

How much bark is a responsible voter to ignore????

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I personally agree that getting captured does not make one a war hero.

I never did get that.

Now, if there was some great accomplishment done prior to the capture, then sure...but just getting captured and surviving? No...not really, at least in my book, so I get that.

And I could really give a rat's ass about a candidate's verbal attacks on others. I'm more concerned with economic policy, defense policy, etc. Just as I could care less about abortion or gay marriage (dead issues in my book).

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

The Church of Trump has become the new fad du jour for 2016.

And his followers have become such rabid angry little things...

It's quite sad to watch from the outside looking in.

The Church of staying the same as ever, and voting for some other loser is even sadder looking in.

I think you guys have no idea how simple you really sound.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: blujack21
a reply to: intrptr

Can you imagine Carlin alive in these last 10 years? He would have had a field day with all that is going on. Miss that guy.

Yes, too bad, he would be actually trashing everyone but more the people who are so scared and shocked at Trump.

The field day would be a nice spotlight on how little progress has been made, and how these people want everything to stay the same, a slow constant downward spiral.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Trump supporters vote from apathy and anger. They're ready to watch the whole thing burn down either with hate or amusment.

Republicans have been fanning the flames of the stupid and angry for so long and this is the result.

edit on 9-3-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join