It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nabisco Workers Uprise Over Layoffs As Jobs Move To Mexico

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Another big company is laying off workers and moving the J-O-B-S to Mexico.

This time it's the famous well known company Nabisco.

Workers are furious.

Apparently negotiations between the Company and the Union broke down and the Contract has expired !!!!

When will somebody stop this mania?

Nabisco Workers Uprise Over Layoffs As Jobs Move To Mexico

Nabisco workers on Chicago’s Southwest side protest on Wednesday over hundreds of impending layoffs.

Mondelez International plans to layoff 600 employees, and move those jobs to Mexico. 200 Nabisco workers say they have already received pink slips.

For more than a century, Nabisco has produced several popular products, like Oreos.

Negotiations between the union that represents Nabisco workers and Mondelez broke down earlier this week, and the contract has expired.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I guess a pay cut is better than no job at all... maybe the Union shouldn't have played hardball.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well we've been told this was coming for a while now. But seems it's now taking effect.

Mondelez International

+41 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   
If only people would stop buying products from companies that outsource production. That's the ONLY way to stop it.

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
If only people would stop buying products from companies that outsource production. That's the ONLY way to stop it.

Exactly. The only message that will be heard is when people speak with their wallets. Unfortunately, too many American consumers do not make the connection between their purchase decisions and the decisions that companies make to survive. It is the high cost of low prices.

Far too many Americans talk a good game but then do not put their money where their mouth is when it comes to supporting companies.

It is like when I see people complaining about the small mom & pop store that closes. well, you weren't complaining when you went to Wal-Mart instead so you could save $1.00 on whatever it is you are buying or went window shopping and then bought the item on Amazon to save money. Now that your town's business strip is deserted, you want to complain after you didn't support the local business?
edit on 3-3-2016 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Or make their product more expensive to the consumers in the U.S. with stiff tariffs when they move their company out of the U.S. New companies will arise and then problem solved. The only issue is what about the people that lose jobs over it? I actually have a few friends that work for Carrier. They are already looking for new jobs since they will be moving to Mexico as well. So I've witnessed the destruction in families that this causes.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
Globalization = 1984 Scenario

Let the Corporations Rule and Sovereignty is a thing of the Past.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I am going to start a list.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I guess a pay cut is better than no job at all... maybe the Union shouldn't have played hardball.

This ^^^ American workers want, want some more, and want some more again. I want! I want! I want! And finally the company says, "Screw this. We don't need it." and move. If American workers weren't the pampered little special snowflakes they are this wouldn't happen. But they just priced themselves out of the market. Go ahead and boycott. All that means is you won't get the product.
edit on 3/3/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

This ^^^ American workers want, want some more, and want some more again. I want! I want! I want! And finally the company says, "Screw this. We don't need it." and move. If American workers weren't the pampered little special snowflakes they are this wouldn't happen. But they just priced themselves out of the market. Go ahead and boycott. All that means is you won't get the product.

In a free market, minimum wage is ZERO if you have no job.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ugmold
Globalization = 1984 Scenario

Let the Corporations Rule and Sovereignty is a thing of the Past.

The New World Order is an unofficial name for certain types of organizations, globalists, and people in and out our government that want to destroy our US Sovereignty and get rid of our constitutional rights.

George H.W. Bush New World Order Speech

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

I can and do. I'm one of the few that if I truly don't agree with what a company does, I don't give them money at all. The sad part is most people just really don't give a damn. I know it's not as major as this, but there's a few video game companies that I will never play their games again because of their politics, and all I ever hear from people is that I'm denying myself a lot of enjoyment and that I should just get over it. That's the general mentality when it comes to stuff like this.

Guess I'll just be placing Nabisco right next to Nestle when it comes to food-stuffs I won't be buying anymore.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

The problem is that we don't have the power to control tariffs. Neither can we force the government to affect a change like that. Congress will never do anything of the sort. We the people do have the direct power to destroy a company that outsources jobs by simply not buying their products. The ultimate problem is, how do you reach enough of the public and bring them together?

edit on 3/3/2016 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
People complain about big banks, yet freely give their money to the too big too fail banks over smaller credit unions and local / regional banks.

People complain about jobs going overseas, but freely give their money to companies that outsource jobs.

People complain about Wal-Mart but freely go shop there to save money over small locally owned stores.

In light of all the press Disney got for hiring H1-Bs, I bet they won't see their sales fall off this year.

I can go on and on.

American consumer gets exactly what they deserve and pay for.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

People complain about big banks, yet freely give their money to the too big too fail banks over smaller credit unions and local / regional banks.

People complain about jobs going overseas, but freely give their money to companies that outsource jobs.

People complain about Wal-Mart but freely go shop there to save money over small locally owned stores.

In light of all the press Disney got for hiring H1-Bs, I bet they won't see their sales fall off this year.

I can go on and on.

American consumer gets exactly what they deserve and pay for.

To be fair, in at least some of the cases, it is out of necessity; those tactics have allowed those big chain stores to keep prices competitive for those who have found themselves battling the poverty line in the wake of economic decline. It has since become a self-feeding machine.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
My mom worked at Nabisco in Naperville, IL for 18 years. This is terrible for all the people losing their jobs.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ObjectZero

Mondelez International

So like Monsanto, this is the name whose products I shall avoid - frankenfoods (additives etc). Thanks for that

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Or government protecting our jobs by imposing tariffs on income goods.

But as if NAFTA weren't bad enough they are getting ready to shove TPP down our throats.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Sounds good!
Now tell us all where the electronic device you're posting with was made.
There is the problem with that idea.
My ford truck was made in Canada.
My wife's Toyota was made in Indiana.
I can't keep track of this free trade mess we have today.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

This is not "new" news...it was known last year this would be happening

Trump Slams Nabisco’s Plan to Move Oreos to Mexico: ‘I’ll Never Eat Them Again’
www.mediaite.com...
August 21st, 2015

Donald Trump‘s campaign speech in Mobile addressed all the usual topics: from the importance of stopping illegal immigration, to blaming China and Mexico for sucking America dry.

Most of the night’s talking points recapped what he’s already said on the trail, but he did have at least one new target in his quest for American greatness: Nabisco...

I guess everyone complains when shift finally happens when a long time ago there were rumours were true this would happen.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

edit on 3-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join