It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nabisco Workers Uprise Over Layoffs As Jobs Move To Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   
The problem is that globalization has marginalized the lower skill American worker. Why pay some guy here in American $20/hr when I can hire a peasant in China to do the same job at $3/day?

Markets are not competing on equal footing. $3/day to some Chinese peasant is a good living relatively speaking so they will gladly take it. On the other hand, $15/hr here in the US is barely getting by.

Free trade is not FREE. I have no problem with competition, but it has to be reasonably fair.

I do think we should have some huge tariffs on goods made overseas with cheap labor to equalize the markets. If we can't export goods to a country unrestricted, then most certainly we shouldn't be importing them unrestricted.

Our tax code should be tweaked so that there is an incentive for companies to keep jobs here. Lower rates for companies that employ American workers.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
If only people would stop buying products from companies that outsource production. That's the ONLY way to stop it.

Yep. Boycott and tell them why and tell them soon!!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Mr. Trump addressed that today.
He said if company X moves to Mexico he will slap a 35% import tax on their product(s).

hmm...

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yeah, well Nabisco products? No great loss there. I suspect clean organic and non gmo companies competing very well for the new consumers dollars is also motivating a move to increase or maintain "profitability" for these out of date dinosaurs that really are going to lose out in the end by not seeing the market turn that has taken place.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
It's all about GREED, getting maximum profits and returns for their share holders. Today's American workers are expendable. Before corporations wanted loyalty from their workers, and what did that get them? Nothing but a pink slip.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

close the borders so Nabisco cant sell its products in the US. The world is big enough.

Who cares? The workers can join the military. Food, housing, education.

If not they can work for less. No? Then buy Nabisco you servants. OR move to Mexico before the wall goes up.

The government should just take over production and make generic products along those lines. Pay the workers minimum wage and call it a day. They are freaking factory workers. Do we really need to listen to them? MEXICANS can replace them for crying out loud. LOL Not exactly a negotiating point.

Oh no you cant afford to buy a car and live in a house with a backyard....yeah? Who cares? You are freaking factory workers. Know your damn place.

Trump should have them jailed when he is president for causing trouble for the hard working Nabisco share holders.

edit on 3 3 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
This might not be so bad for the U.S.
Mexicans get to become fat eating mucho Nabisco junkfood.
So fat and unhealthy that they can't make it across the border anymore.
Viva Los Oreos!

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What the short sighted big corporations can`t see is, when all American workers are making minimum wage who in America is going to be able to afford to buy all the stuff that the corporations are selling?
In the short term they will gain larger profits but in the long term they will lose market share or even worse, go out of business.
are minimum wage americans going to buy the $4 oreos or are they going to buy the $2 generic oreos?
when you have millions of people earning minimum wage you going to have millions of people buying the cheaper generic oreos.
It gets into some serious money being lost when you talk about bigger items like cars and appliances.Minimum wage workers don`t buy name brand appliances they buy the no name Chinese made appliances.
every new minimum wage worker is one less potential customer to the name brand corporations.
fewer customers = more cost cutting and higher prices, higher prices = fewer customers,the only loser is the corporation that eventually goes out of business.
The minimum wage earners are still getting their appliances and other consumer goods they are getting the lower price no name brands.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: Edumakated
People complain about big banks, yet freely give their money to the too big too fail banks over smaller credit unions and local / regional banks.

People complain about jobs going overseas, but freely give their money to companies that outsource jobs.

People complain about Wal-Mart but freely go shop there to save money over small locally owned stores.

In light of all the press Disney got for hiring H1-Bs, I bet they won't see their sales fall off this year.

I can go on and on.

American consumer gets exactly what they deserve and pay for.

To be fair, in at least some of the cases, it is out of necessity; those tactics have allowed those big chain stores to keep prices competitive for those who have found themselves battling the poverty line in the wake of economic decline. It has since become a self-feeding machine.

Adding to that, many have a choice to make: buy super cheap lower quality food or go on food stamps. More poor people then you think buy their own food due to pride and won't take food stamps. Where do you think they shop? The Dollar Tree and Walmart.

Poor people do not have the land or money for feed for barnyard animals that make up the bulk of their own traditional meals. Meat, eggs and dairy products. Not owning land or livestock or being part of village that values all its people, has severely affected the people in a negative way for generations. Generations of people born into this are going to appear to be less dramatically affected because they know no other way but the way of the apartment complex and maybe own a cat or small dog and know that their modern village they live in does not guarantee employment for any member of their community to which shelter obtained with the apartment, and food, is reliant on money obtained from employment.

In addition to that, generations of people believe that it is normal to not talk to your immediate neighbors or not help each other out. Generations of people would not think to organize all their neighbors for pot-lucks and make changes that benefit the group as a whole because they only know how to compete with their neighbor due to employment being scarce and people litterally begging for it and still turned away. Some compete and some just simply give up and some commit crimes and just hurt and take to get what they need, reflecting what is done around them and to them. All this causes generations of people to have social anxiety and superficial relationships with their community members and family members.

The industrial revolution started the self feeding machine and kept it to handfuls of people. The technology revolution will put every person on the self feeding machine.

There are no jobs for every adult American who wants to work. There should be an abundance. No one should worry about losing their home here in this country. Or any where. What the hell is wrong with everyone that this was seen as acceptable in the first place? You can't expect the love to remain inside people who are isolated from quality livlihoods which help provide quality relationships. That love inside them is what is keeping the peace and holding this country together.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Trump and Sanders right again!

Yep. Sanders was a vocal opponent of and voted against NAFTA.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Yeah, well Nabisco products? No great loss there.

Right? You'd think people would be more concerned about the garbage they're putting into their bodies than their jobs making the garbage they're putting into their bodies.

"Cancer? So what, it tasted good at the time. What's that? I'm going to lose my job? I'll have to make some sacrifices?! Well, now I'm mad."

Should've been boycotting these people ages ago.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Nabisco: Monsanto's sponsor. This is just insight into what is more to come with the TPP. If they want to continue to their employees as such, as well as helping to disregard what their customers want(such as the attempting to have labeling that was quickly shot down in many places by paid for lobbies) quit buying the products, either they change or the go the way of video stores.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Oh yeah we lost a bunch of $20 an hour jobs! Those pricks are so selfish they were cutting into my billion dollar profit!!!!

Says the guy who probably makes more than 70k a year.

Way to be a hypocrite and way to be pro mega corporation laying off Americans.

Move to Mexico if you want to live in a country that endorses slavery.

Mexicans should love Americans we've employed their entire country. They should be paying us taxes.
edit on 3/3/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteWingedMonolith

You bring up a good point. The industrial revolution improved a lot of people's lives but I also think it made many people too dependent upon the system. When agriculture ruled the day, you could be poor and still feed yourself by in large as long as you had some land. Nowadays, people are dependent upon being able to earn money and purchasing their food. People no longer know how to take care of themselves.

I've often wondered if this will be down fall of civilization.

posted on Mar, 3 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Maybe the American workers can break Mexican laws and across the boarder illegally and do the work that Mexicans won't do.

Just because Mexico would probably throw the American law breakers in jail, doesn't mean that the Americans shouldn't break Mexicos laws so they can have a better life

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

About 18 years ago I had just gotten married and my hubby and I were living in the apartments directly across the street from that Nabisco plant. It used to smell really good some days. I was sorry to hear about it changing from Nabisco to Kraft Foods a while after we had moved away from the area.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If you actually eat your food instead of throwing half of it in the garbage, maybe, just maybe Nabisco wouldn't have to move to Mexico so they can fulfill your wasteful demand.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Well said,

Americans can't fairly compete head to head with a foreign country that has a significantly lower cost of living.

I think Globalization could have been a great thing and could have minimized the current world chaos via stabilized economies.

Unfortunately , desperation by corporations leading the globalization efforts under unrealistic expectations to infinitely beat last years profits has done the exact opposite.

edit on 37331America/ChicagoFri, 04 Mar 2016 08:37:21 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I really am beginning to wonder if people who have experience doing certain jobs will ever take their experience and create their own employment when they are laid off, instead of depending on someone else to provide them with employment.

I understand the game is rigged in favor of the larger and already established businesses...But if enough people simply disregarded laws and regulations which were obviously written to keep them from employing themselves, what could whomever do?, throw everyone in jail?.

Are People in the U.S. just too selfish and terrified to realize the truth of the matter and help themselves and each other?.

posted on Mar, 4 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: Edumakated
I guess a pay cut is better than no job at all... maybe the Union shouldn't have played hardball.

This ^^^ American workers want, want some more, and want some more again. I want! I want! I want! And finally the company says, "Screw this. We don't need it." and move. If American workers weren't the pampered little special snowflakes they are this wouldn't happen. But they just priced themselves out of the market. Go ahead and boycott. All that means is you won't get the product.

Really? Is that why productivity has been going UP and wages have not? No. The company finally says 'screw this' when they realize they can hire Javier for #ing pennies, because his country doesn't have laws in place to prevent greedy #ing scumbags from doing it.

Keep your standards low and i'll keep mine high.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join