It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nabisco Workers Uprise Over Layoffs As Jobs Move To Mexico

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't believe we can send construction and infrastructure jobs to foreign countries. Not sure how to address a graph like that.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
a reply to: jacobe001

The drop in membership might be because of factory closings and downsizing.

That is a reasonable guess but also, organized business attacks every attempt at labor from organizing at the private level and political level. Organized Business want all the power for themselves at the private and public level.

Walmart as an example would rather shut down their stores than let organized labor have a say in bargaining power.

The biggest proponents against Free Market Capitalism is Organized Business themselves
edit on 5-3-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

I don't believe we can send construction and infrastructure jobs to foreign countries. Not sure how to address a graph like that.

Sounds more like a total Union failure.

Bargaining units are only as strong as the workers.

The failure described in this thread is a good example.

edit on Mar-05-2016 by xuenchen because: (O_O)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Well, if you already had the answer worked out, why ask?

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Well, if you already had the answer worked out, why ask?

I was asking for a comparison along with the aftershocks.

Can we find any comparisons that link union job losses to out of country outsourcing?

My guess is 20 million jobs gone and there went the union jobs.

That means the unions failed to keep the cohesion.

The auto industry outsourcing to Mexico is one example.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

You are talking manufacturing, correct? Unions Jobs were not just a job, they also held employers to a higher standard:

From 1947 through 1973, when union density in America was at its peak, real wages for nonmanagerial employees rose by 75 percent. From 1979 through 2006, as union density collapsed, real wages for nonmanagerial employees rose by only 4 percent. Unable to get a raise, American households maintained their standard of living during those years by women entering the workforce and by going into debt.

prospect.org...
edit on 5-3-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimbo999

Try avoiding products made in third world countries with the use of slave labor. China is a good example. As long as China can pay someone $2.00 a day for their labor, US companies (and European companies for that matter) are either going to force your wages down (ala the European muslim "solution"), or move their operations overseas. Take the profitability away from these foreign companies by NOT buying their products - and buying Western made products instead. This will force the slave labor profiteers into early bankrupcy and as an added benefit, help keep US and Western workers in jobs.

I just do not see this working. There is no way America would join in this cause at a level companies would take noticed. Also, one thing to think about is that 2 bucks a day might be good wage in that other country, so there is a good chance these jobs we see as bad is seen as good over there.

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

How can the government make it more cost effective when the corps can hire labor making a dollar an hour.
Lets see, we cut taxes to 0 the corps still look at 10 an hour vs 1 dollar an hour?
Perhaps you think the government should hand corps money to make up the difference?

Or lower wages for unskilled to a dollar an hour while living in a country with rent 5 times more than it is in other countries? You want all Americans to be living 20 to a room so that the fatcats can make bank?

When is enough enough?

Seem my post pissed you off...lol

You make it more expensive to make an item overseas than at home plain and simple....

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

You make it more expensive to make an item overseas than at home plain and simple....

Agreed
As it is now, the policies are bass ackwards, corporations can write off moving expenses to relocate overseas
I agree we need to make it very expensive for them to move overseas, to bring in foreign labor and to also sell here when they relocate.

There has been a war against this country by entrenched political and economic interests and it is way past time we start fighting back

We were too complacent in the past years where we gave them all the power and look what they did
The power on all sides must fight in order for there to be balance, and that cycle will never stop as long as the human ego exists
edit on 5-3-2016 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
As a resident of Chicago and a cookieholic we eat a lot of Oreo cookies we have a package of the Chicago made cookies and just picked up the newly imported Mexican version. They are not quite the same, the creamy delight in the middle is almost non existent and when you twirl them apart the stuffing comes off on both cookies. The cookies themselves taste close but not quite the same. Needless to say we are trying other brands of cookies to replace the Oreo's.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I like to see that people are getting a bit of the point of what's going on.

How Capitalism works and how profit is the name of the game.

Just think about how some people's jobs were not necessary anymore because of computers?

It's the same process, you don't evolve and/or you're not competitive you're going to sink.

Survival of the fittest and richest.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Well another brand that will never get my money for now on, if enough Americas do that to the companies that leave America they will get the message.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

That means the unions failed to keep the cohesion.

Don't get me wrong their is enough greed on both sides within the unions and the corporations themselves.

However. unions can't compete with foreign slave labor even if they agreed to minimum wages.

Pandoras box has been opened. The only survival I see for unions is going global which they have little to no chance of getting to work.

You make a Global union for automakers but than it takes all the incentive away for manufacturing cars overseas. Hence no third world country will join the union.

The jobs went overseas because its legal and cheaper. Union or NO Union , legal and cheaper are very enticing words for Corporations to hear, so regardless it was going to happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldsguy
As a resident of Chicago and a cookieholic we eat a lot of Oreo cookies we have a package of the Chicago made cookies and just picked up the newly imported Mexican version. They are not quite the same, the creamy delight in the middle is almost non existent and when you twirl them apart the stuffing comes off on both cookies. The cookies themselves taste close but not quite the same. Needless to say we are trying other brands of cookies to replace the Oreo's.

LMAO, My Son doesn't like chocolate or cookies or other sweets, not by our doing just his taste buds.

We purchased 4 different packages and had to throw them away. He kept saying that he didn't like the oreos and they were different .

Now it makes sense,

edit on 29331America/ChicagoMon, 07 Mar 2016 15:29:39 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldsguy

I'll be darn you are right, they are awful, I threw them away.

I thought it was just me.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I'LL NEVER BUY AN OREO AGAIN!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here's an idea on how to stop this.

Create an organization that is ready, able, and willing to immediately start boycotting any company that moves.

Don’t wait and start it haphazardly after a company already has left and then a few months later quietly after everybody has forgotten let the boycott peter out.

That’s what’s happening now and it’s not working.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

i wonder if the giant sucking sound is loud enough yet.

We have got to stop sending jobs overseas. It's pretty simple: If you're paying $12, $13, $14 an hour for factory workers and you can move your factory South of the border, pay a dollar an hour for labor,...have no health care—that's the most expensive single element in making a car— have no environmental controls, no pollution controls and no retirement, and you don't care about anything but making money, there will be a giant sucking sound going south. ...when [Mexico's] jobs come up from a dollar an hour to six dollars an hour, and ours go down to six dollars an hour, and then it's leveled again. But in the meantime, you've wrecked the country with these kinds of deals.

Ross Perot, The 1992 Presidential Debate

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join