It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You're Blocking Ads While On ATS, You Get A Big Ugly Message

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
But I can't block them out of my mind then. It's a pity you rely on them for income. They distract me to the point I'd rather not be on the site. Shucks. YouTube and ATS ads are the reason I got an ad blocker years ago (mostly because I frequent them the most ((or, at least, I used to))).

I turned my ad blocker off and honest to Joseph, I'm about ready to kill myself. (over-reaction, but, yeah.)

I'm a creature of necessity, not frivolous interest, especially when it comes to money. I don't make much of it, I'm very guilty in that regard.

I know this isn't about me. I don't expect ATS to care THAT much. but eish, I can't afford to care whether you get paid for ads or not. I pay a service provider way too much for way too little (and trust me, I got THE best deal for what I can afford).

To the point of ads: a solution for me (and it seems a large portion of anti-aders, whom would consider whitelisting ATS) would be for the adverts to be static, ie, not moving, ever, no flashing! and for them to rather be toned down in colour, and to not be too sexy or anything, you know, no mail order brides and the like. (and, I reckon the 'sexy' ads wouldn't be too bad if they didn't have big boobed, half dressed women in them.)

It seems some people really don't give a hoot about ads... What about giving users options?
Like, three tiers of ads which users choose:
1 - low tier: plain, mostly script, simple pictures, no flashing/moving.
2 - medium tier: maybe high tier on forum main pages and low tier within threads
3 - high tier: crazy-ass, I-hope-you-don't-have-epilepsy ads (the ones with lots of colour and stuff)

I don't pretend to know how this stuff works, but if advertisers would pay more for the third option maybe users who select that get some sort of reward for *cough* suffering *cough* supporting ATS, a badge of awesome honour or something, like "user:'x' Took one for the team!"

My concern has a lot to do with distraction but equally to do with bandwidth usage. So, yeah, I DO want to support ATS, I would choose option 1. Right now I'm turning my ad blocker on and off... lol, with all my page refreshing and ad checking I've done in the past hour I've probably saved up for the next day or so

(side story: about a month or two ago, using my phone, I actually downloaded adblockers browser specifically to block ads on ATS. I had never blocked ads on my phone before. The ad that did it was this one at the bottom of the page that followed you as you scrolled. Now, it wouldn't have been that bad if it didn't disappear when you scrolled and then reappeared after a split second once you stopped scrolling! wow, just thinking about it boils my blood!)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jimjolnir

I have seem many people complain about the type of ads they see, don't you get those little buttons on the top right of the ads like in the image below?

I was receiving adverts about meeting South American women, I clicked X button on the ads and said that the ads were inappropriate. I haven't got one of those since then.

PS: I have nothing against South American women in general.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

As a test I loaded the front page with out adblock and ghostery.
These are the trackers that were loaded.

Ghostery has found the following on this page:Acuity Ads
Adap.tv
Adblade
Adform
AdGear
Adition
Adnologies
ADTECH
Advertising.com
Adzerk
AppNexus
Audience Science
BidSwitch
BidTheatre
BlueKai
Brandscreen
BrightRoll
Chango
Connexity
Criteo
Datalogix
DataXu
Digilant
Dotomi
DoubleClick
Drawbridge
Dstillery
EQ Advertising
Experian Marketing Services
Eyeview
Facebook Exchange (FBX)
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Index Exchange (Formerly Casale Media)
Intent IQ
Lijit
LiveRail
Magnetic
MaxPoint Interactive
Media Innovation Group
MediaMath
Moat
myThings
Netmining
Newsmax
OpenX
Optimax Media Delivery
OwnerIQ
PubMatic
PulsePoint
Quantcast
RadiumOne
Rhythmxchange
Right Media
Rocket Fuel
Rubicon
RUN
ScoreCard Research Beacon
ShareThrough
Simpli.fi
SiteScout
SMART AdServer
SpotXchange
Tapad
Teads
TradeDesk
Tribal Fusion
TubeMogul
Turn Inc.
ValueClick Media
VerutaGhostery has found the following on this page:Acuity Ads
Adap.tv
Adblade
Adform
AdGear
Adition
Adnologies
ADTECH
Advertising.com
Adzerk
AppNexus
Audience Science
BidSwitch
BidTheatre
BlueKai
Brandscreen
BrightRoll
Chango
Connexity
Criteo
Datalogix
DataXu
Digilant
Dotomi
DoubleClick
Drawbridge
Dstillery
EQ Advertising
Eyeview
Facebook Exchange (FBX)
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Intent IQ
Lijit
LiveRail
Magnetic
MaxPoint Interactive
Media Innovation Group
MediaMath
Moat
myThings
Netmining
Newsmax
OpenX
Optimax Media Delivery
OwnerIQ
PubMatic
PulsePoint
Quantcast
RadiumOne
Rhythmxchange
Right Media
Rocket Fuel
Rubicon
RUN
ShareThrough
Simpli.fi
SiteScout
SMART AdServer
SpotXchange
Tapad
Teads
TradeDesk
Tribal Fusion
TubeMogul
Turn Inc.
ValueClick Media
Veruta

?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0 x 0

As a test I loaded the front page with out adblock and ghostery.

Ghostery has found the following on this page:Acuity Ads
Adap.tv
Adblade
Adform
AdGear
Adition
Adnologies
ADTECH
Advertising.com
Adzerk
AppNexus
Audience Science
BidSwitch
BidTheatre
BlueKai
Brandscreen
BrightRoll
Chango
Connexity
Criteo
Datalogix
DataXu
Digilant
Dotomi
DoubleClick
Drawbridge
Dstillery
EQ Advertising
Eyeview
Facebook Exchange (FBX)
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Intent IQ
Lijit
LiveRail
Magnetic
MaxPoint Interactive
Media Innovation Group
MediaMath
Moat
myThings
Netmining
Newsmax
OpenX
Optimax Media Delivery
OwnerIQ
PubMatic
PulsePoint
Quantcast
RadiumOne
Rhythmxchange
Right Media
Rocket Fuel
Rubicon
RUN
ShareThrough
Simpli.fi
SiteScout
SMART AdServer
SpotXchange
Tapad
Teads
TradeDesk
Tribal Fusion
TubeMogul
Turn Inc.
ValueClick Media
VerutaGhostery has found the following on this page:Acuity Ads
Adap.tv
Adblade
Adform
AdGear
Adition
Adnologies
ADTECH
Advertising.com
Adzerk
AppNexus
Audience Science
BidSwitch
BidTheatre
BlueKai
Brandscreen
BrightRoll
Chango
Connexity
Criteo
Datalogix
DataXu
Digilant
Dotomi
DoubleClick
Drawbridge
Dstillery
EQ Advertising
Eyeview
Facebook Exchange (FBX)
Google Adsense
Google Analytics
Intent IQ
Lijit
LiveRail
Magnetic
MaxPoint Interactive
Media Innovation Group
MediaMath
Moat
myThings
Netmining
Newsmax
OpenX
Optimax Media Delivery
OwnerIQ
PubMatic
PulsePoint
Quantcast
RadiumOne
Rhythmxchange
Right Media
Rocket Fuel
Rubicon
RUN
ShareThrough
Simpli.fi
SiteScout
SMART AdServer
SpotXchange
Tapad
Teads
TradeDesk
Tribal Fusion
TubeMogul
Turn Inc.
ValueClick Media
Veruta

?

Humour me if you may?

What does this mean and why should I be concerned about these things?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

For one these companies track your movement about the web and make databases of your travels which they in turn sell to advertisers or others (who ever whats to buy it).
edit on 7/33/16 by 0 x 0 because: added stuff.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP
I have been playing with those little buttons since I unblocked ads when this issue was brought to attention. I haven't noticed any differences yet. Time will tell, I suppose.

Page load times are quite a bit slower

I have noticed that the ads I see are specific to my country and possibly my age demographic, but not as specific as I imagined
I initially got the impression they were ALL pretty much screened by ATS in some way... It must be impossible to fully control all of the ads provided. Which I imagine is why some of the more irritating ads leak through.

PS I've nothing against Russian woman, or any woman at all... just not currently shopping is all

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Many of those are benign trackers, such as google ones for example. Most sites use them. Many, not most.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Those are most of the sources that can set cookies on millions of websites. You must have collected that over several page loads, as I typically get about 30% of that list -- if that -- from a single page load.

I'm also curious about the accuracy. For example, you have Quantcast listed, and we don't use Quantcast. Also Facebook... we don't have any Facebook code on ATS. There's also no AdSense code on the home page, so some of that looks contrived... which is not uncommon for Ghostery.

The term "tracker," in the case of cookies set by advertisers, is a bit fear-mongering. None of those firms are collecting any personally identifiable information. The most common use for the cookies is to:

1) manage the rotation of ads so you don't see the same one over and over

2) target ads based on what has been learned about browsing habits (you can opt out)

That's it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Non-members see some pretty awful ads when looking at threads.

Huge slew of them right under the OP, and even more off to the right. They're those awful fake news story ones, too.

edit on 8/3/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I did not collect that over many page loads.
Icame in fresh - no cache cookies history or location.
I will agree a certain amount may be 'Contrived ' by Ghostery,

Tracking cookies though a problem are not the only way you are being tracked.
I refer to canvas fingerprinting. where they use the HTML5 code to monitor.

And I must say that yes since they track you through your IP address - they are certainly collecting personal info on you.
Unless you have a proxy or a non static IP.

>you can opt out< - Supposedly you can - but many do not respect this action.

edit on 8/33/16 by 0 x 0 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Then how are there repeats?

And I must say that yes since they track you through your IP address - they are certainly collecting personal info on you.

Every firm in that list is a member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau. Member firms must sign a legal document (we did) that IP addresses collected in the course of serving advertising will never be associated with personally identifiable information. Also, IP's are purged rather regularly. For the purposes of serving ads, an IP address is not a reliable data point. A massive amount of internet traffic every day is from people sharing an IP.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Unethical and Paranoid? Easy for you to say. Those of us in remote areas who survive on 5-10GB / month plans at 150kbps (the fastest I've ever seen is 256), beg to differ. There's no other option for us at all. It's either block ads in an attempt to free up bandwidth, or forget the site ever existed.

I tire of hearing people standing on a pulpit bashing us over blocking ads when they sit on their unlimited data plan, super-speed internet. It's the same old "I've got it good in my back-yard so that must mean everyone else does too".

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

Then how are there repeats?
I honestly do not know...? But it was done as I told you. It was done on a clean slate.

Every firm in that list is a member of the Interactive Advertising Bureau. Member firms must sign a legal document (we did) that IP addresses collected in the course of serving advertising will never be associated with personally identifiable information. Also, IP's are purged rather regularly. For the purposes of serving ads, an IP address is not a reliable data point. A massive amount of internet traffic every day is from people sharing an IP.

They target the IP with designated ads related to the user @.
And, Um .. this is a conspiracy site - for me to take the word of companies ..just because they signed an agreement .. to not use my info .. I'm sorry I do not have the level of trust you do.
-- I'm sorry I will not let down my guard.. Ban me if you will - of make the site unusable for me.. "So long and thanks for all the fish"

edit on 9/33/16 by 0 x 0 because: rearranged quote

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I am pretty much done with this site. Screw the management who want to destroy their site. Do many more out there!

Now you won't get ANY of my ad revenue!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Selevon

I am sure all 12 of your posts were a huge revenue generator.

Lmao

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:51 AM
link   
How will the new web browser 'Brave' work here? It's designed to block ads...

www.brave.com...

I don't use it yet because it isn't ready (Tried but it crashes 1 out of 20 times in my experience so I'll wait for their better product) but am wondering how something like a browser preference might effect user experience.
edit on Thu, 10 Mar 2016 00:53:02 -0600 by MemoryShock because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley

Lmao

And so it begins.

"Us and Them".

The "people with more financial value to the site" are setting themselves above the "people with less financial value to the site".

Just as we prophesied would happen. Soon there will be human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: smirkley

Lmao

And so it begins.

"Us and Them".

The "people with more financial value to the site" are setting themselves above the "people with less financial value to the site".

Just as we prophesied would happen. Soon there will be human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Not to forget the much requested private forum, where all kinds of devil worshipping skullduggery will occur. Mark my words, no good will come of this!

(It's ticking)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I have no more financial value to the site than the casual visitor.

Difference is I will not be rude and snotty like a 10 year old who doesnt get his way.

Not my house. But if it was I woulda smacked him upside the head lol.
edit on 10-3-2016 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Well, I suddenly find myself back in this thread, per directions of a super moderator who closed my new thread in which I tried to (politely, no scoffing, manners and decorum like) discuss the ETHICS of the matter.

I started a new thread on this, because I felt that my original question about people's opinions on the ethical side of things got swamped by other types of posts, hence I did not get any replies on the post. If you want to check out what has been said so far, you may want to read what was posted there - there were some pretty interesting posts, IMHO.

It also proves something to me: there seemingly were quite a number of people that were willing and able to discuss this, but somehow they did not pick up my post here.

Anyway, I have asked the moderators to re-open the "other" thread. I'm not sure if we can or should continue the discussion about ethics HERE, as this thread is more about SO's announcement, the implications and opinions, not about the ETHICS of the matter.

I will wait and see if the "other" thread is re-opened. If not, we may or may not resume our discussion here, it all depends on other users need to in as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25 >>

join