It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sigh, my free Windows 10 upgrade hasn't been too "free" so far.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

I agree.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kaelci

Yep I had my hopes on AMD's Mantle architecture taking off but sadly it didn't apart from in Battlefield 4 which I did find better over DX.

Hopefully though with Valve behind Vulkan they will use their dominance in the gaming industry to push for it to come to fruition, they need Vulkan solely for their steam OS systems they want to ship out so there's games to play on it.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
After having windows 8 on a new laptop and losing a few weeks worth of work for no apparent reason (I'm pretty tech savy, clean, protected and organized), I smashed the mf'r into a million pieces. Bought a dell swapped the oringal drive with a new SSD and used my old Win 7 Pro commercial disc (no key required) I got with my desktop a few years ago and havn't looked back.

Infact I saw this coming with windows 10 and I knew I needed to upgrade my desktop while Win 7 Pro was still available from a retailer pre loaded. I did it more than right, just this last fall I found Adamant Computers on Ebay. They let you choose from every single component from the latest hardware and build it for just over cost. I think they only make a few hundred bucks of building it. I compared it to building one myself on pcpartpicker.com and it was litterally just $300 more to have adamant bulid, test and ship (with 2yr warranty).

I went topteir the whole way, motherboard: z97 pro (built in wifi, usb 3.1) GPU: GTX 980 4GB, 2TB HDD, DVD-RW, 16GB RAM with a i7-4790 @4.0 ghz... all with Windows 7 Pro in a pretty badass led lit tower, that I got to select as well. I can run fallout 4 at 4K and my rig don't even notice, I'm set for a good while.

I got that whole setup for $1700, given I already had a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers. Still can't beat it, I highly recommend adamant computers.
edit on 28-2-2016 by rexsblues because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I like to think I post for all of us.....who say " NO " to windows 10

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: fossilera
Other than a few annoyances, I have had zero issues with Windows 10. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for my clients. I've had more calls at this point on Windows 10 than I ever had on Windows 8. I have recommended to all of my business clients to forego the upgrade from the beginning, but now I am also recommending my non-professional clients forego it as well.

Admittedly, I am not a fan of Windows 10 either, except for the fixes it provides over Windows 7, which were sorely needed. But the majority of those fixes exist in Windows 8 as well, so if you're running 8.1, you're good where you're at until MS fixes some of the outstanding bugs in 10.

MS always has used its customers as guinea pigs, so nothing new there.
edit on 2/28/2016 by Klassified because: wording/clarity

edit on 2/28/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech
There's a reason that win 10 has a market share only 0.43% higher than XP...

Absolutely, 7 works fine...

NSAsoft has given me all the reasons I need to avoid their so called "upgrade" like the plague it really is.

As for those MarketShare numbers, I'm not so sure about them...

It seems pathetic, but Windows 10 fans are celebrating that, by NetMarketShare’s count, Windows 10’s market share has finally surpassed XP’s numbers. Yes, that’s right, we’re talking about a shiny, much-hyped operating system that, after some six months out of the gate, has finally beaten a 15-year-old OS that hasn’t been supported in years.

Sadly, I don’t even trust NetMarketShare’s numbers as far as I can throw them. It’s not just that NetMarketShare is a Microsoft partner; this is the market research firm that still has Internet Explorer beating all the other web browsers handily. I don’t think so. And if you look closely at those numbers, you’ll see that XP use actually increased in January 2016! Windows 10’s growth came at the expense not of XP, but of Windows 7. I don’t buy it.

Once you dice the numbers, here’s what I see: Windows 7 is still the top operating system. And, yes, Windows 10’s market share really is growing. But is it growing because people really want it, or because Microsoft is shoving Windows 10 down our throats? I think it’s the latter.

My Windows of choice remains Windows 7. Why? It just works. I am hardly alone, judging from the hundreds of thousands of people who have read this story.

There’s something fishy about those Windows 10 market-share numbers

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   

A software engineer who doesn't know that OEM licenses are bound to one computer, and that this can be bypassed by using the automated phone activation system? I find that hard to believe. This is like PC repair 101.
Actually, I'm just going to come out and say it.
You're not a software engineer.
Now maybe you'll get the help you need.
edit on 28/2/16 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The update pop-ups.

I get one every single time I log on.

It goes away if you disable automatic updates, but then you miss all the security fixes, which are still coming through.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Good to know. The damn icon for 10 has been annoying me for months. I am not getting it.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

If you go through the list of updates, you can specifically uncheck the Windows 10 one.
I did that too, was annoying popping up every morning and removing GWX.exe from my task manager, every. single. day.

How to Remove the Windows 10 GWX Upgrade Nonsensel
(If you -really- want it to # off)

But I did it simply with just "hiding" it in the update list.
edit on 28 2 2016 by kaelci because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   

how's Skipper doing?

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   

My upgrades from XP to 7 to 10 have been hassle free on all 4 of my devices: phone, tablet, laptop and PC. (also at work PC-no issues)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

Not too well, sadly... the lab results tell me that he's a potential killer...

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Ummm...I'm sticking with my windows 7 pro which I use through the "Parallels" emulator software on my I-mac...it's cool cause on my 27" screen I can run both windows 7 pro and OSX El capitan...at the same time side by side...I like it because I can use all of my windows software and all of my apple software cohesively...alone...or coherently...or I can just use the software from either IOS in one or the other...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I had a little boy called Skipper. He was different, too. If you're different, people fear you. Look at Michael Jackson or the Krankies, but they're quite shrewd. It is our duty to fight prejudice and injustice, whether it be in 'Nam, where I fought for my country, or here in Romford.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Posts like this make me chuckle.

"Now I'm not computer illiterate, but...."

"So naturally I went for the rescue cd."

"So then I rang microsoft support..."

Ummm.. nothing what you described initially would have warranted that. so... just because you cannot work out how to resolve an issue, and make it worse by fumbling around thinking you're doing the right thing by doing the last resort things, it's windows 10's fault.

I had some problems with windows 10, sure. but I resolved them without having to resort to effectively reinstalling, or paying someone to hold my hand.

ahhh, it's XP all over again... "I liked my 95, I knew where everything was, now they've made it all stoopid.. windows suxorz.."

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Sorry to hear, some issues but more related to that particular PC than the upgrade itself. Other than that 6 PC's down and all running smoothly. 2 from Windows 7 Business, 3 from Windows 8,1 and 1 from Windows 8 PC I bought that didnt have serial number, so I cannot register that version, but it still works flawlessly.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard

A software engineer who doesn't know that OEM licenses are bound to one computer, and that this can be bypassed by using the automated phone activation system? I find that hard to believe. This is like PC repair 101.
Actually, I'm just going to come out and say it.
You're not a software engineer.
Now maybe you'll get the help you need.

"Software Engineer" can mean a lot of different things. Programmers are considered Software Engineers, and their area of expertise is developing computer programs. These people may or may not be familiar the intricacies of the OS and HW of the platform on which they are developing.

Other SE's may be more familiar with Linux or OSX than with Windows. Or they may be involved with embedded systems.

Just because someone is not familiar with what others may consider to be the basics of computing, does not mean that they are not Software Engineers.

-dex

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I will keep my current older version of windows and i will try to learn linux stuff more and more, then migrate to it for good when i feel its time to move, i do not have much problems with older windows yet and i do play some games that might not work under linux but at that point if i have to chose between win10 and games i like to play or linux and start cutting my games, i can lose some games and find out what works on linux.
Really disliking the way of win10, not even dx12 can get me to move on that.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Admittedly, I am not a fan of Windows 10 either, except for the fixes it provides over Windows 7, which were sorely needed.

Such as? The reason I haven't upgraded from 7 to 10 is mainly because I don't see any good reason to. All my software runs fine on 7 and I like the UI of 7 much more than the square crap in 10. When I went from 98 to XP the difference was clear, and I knew XP was superior. That same feeling occurred when I went from XP to 7, I could immediately see how it was superior. But when I use 8 or 10 I just don't get that feeling, there's nothing which clearly makes 10 superior based on the small amount of time I've spent using it. Also I very strongly dislike all the connectivity features they cram into 10, it feels like logging into a social network instead of logging into a computer. Most of your actions are tracked and recorded unless you turn off about 100 different settings.

The fact the OP had to use another computer to log into his main computer is simply ridiculous, logging into your computer should never be tied to the internet in any way, it's just asking for trouble. In summary I would say Windows 10 is an OS for total noobs who don't care about their bandwidth usage being drained away by completely over the top tracking and social features, it's for people who just want to play games and use Facebook, but if you want to have multiple partitions and do more complicated things like the OP, you will inevitably run into trouble because they've designed everything in a way which is most likely to screw with advanced users who like to have more control over things.
edit on 29/2/2016 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join