It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The internet is a strange, scary place at times. Everyone seems so ANGRY.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
None of what follows is novel, original, new, or unsaid countless times before. And please let me preface it by saying: there are wonderful people online, including on this website, who are a credit to humanity and to the internet as a communications medium with as yet untapped potential in my opinion, for making the world a better place. This is just me getting some feelings off my chest, and should not be interpreted or construed as a wholesale dismissal of the internet as a horrible, toxic environment, because in my opinion at least, it isn't.

Also please bear in mind that none of this is specifically inspired or provoked by anything or anyone on ATS. Although this does happen here, this particular rant was triggered/inspired/evoked by something that took place on an entirely different website. So please don't infer from this any relationships to any posts or persons on ATS.

I'm just ranting... which is the point of this forum, after all. And I fully expect it to garner precisely the sorts of replies I'm talking about, so please know I will ignore any such responses. Just some rambling thoughts and musings.

-------------------------------------

The internet is strange. In real life, someone could say, "That looks cool, I like that. I plan to do that myself, I think." And a friend sitting with them and having coffee could respond, "Really? I guess I can see that. Personally I don't think I'd like it so I'll probably pass because (insert reason.)" Then they'd talk about it for a while and then laugh and joke and everything would still be cool.

Or they might say, "In my opinion, X is true." And someone might respond, "I disagree, because X, Y, and Z." And they might casually and civilly discuss that difference of opinion. (Or not. But it seems more likely in a face to face scenario then on the faceless interwebs.) But on the internet, instead it becomes about reading hostility into what was said, or getting people's backs up.

Somehow on the internet every time someone just offers an offhand observation, critique, or opinion that disagrees with someone else's, it's interpreted as some sort of criticism of their own choice to do something different or a call to arms warranting ad hominem attacks and denigration of the person's character, far beyond the bounds of their opinion. Even when that isn't said or implied. And even when it's expressly stated that that's not the case or the intent, that seems to be how everything anyone says gets filtered and interpreted through the lens of inference and tonal impression.

Then people fight about it, usually passive aggressively and cuttingly. Sometimes viciously, in fact. It's very weird, and very specific to the internet in an interesting but disturbing psycho-social sense.

And that's not even touching on how women are treated online! The overt sexual advances. The trollish demeanor, harassment, and bristling at the mere suggestion that perhaps - just perhaps - this might not be okay or acceptable to them. As if those who harass women routinely are somehow victims themselves due to the faintest hint that ladies might have a problem seeing, "Nice boobies," every single time they show their faces. Of course, if you're male and say anything about this, you're a "white knight," or an "SJW."

Then you have people like myself who don't have the emotional capacity to endure contending with all of this for very long. I have a severe anxiety disorder, I tend towards clinical depression, I'm on the autistic spectrum so stimuli of all kinds - which includes emotional stimuli - tend to affect me disproportionately. I get overwhelmed very easily and no, no amount of "thinking positive," or "having the right attitude" can ameliorate that enough to make persisting for very long in any contentious environment - online or off - a tenable proposition for me. (Before you tell me otherwise, please understand you're talking to someone with decades of cognitive behavioral therapy, medication regimens, and counselling under their belt... all of which has had only marginal impact on my ability to deal with conflict or stress.)

But if you admit these things or try to explain to people why you have no interest in arguing or debating, you get called a coward. You get told to "toughen up." "Grow a thicker skin." "If you can't take the heat, get our of the kitchen." You get called "weak." You get told, "Maybe you shouldn't be online." Which is just what someone with those feelings needs - to be told for the millionth time in their lives that, even online, they don't belong or shouldn't try to participate. And you attract trolls like flies to fecal matter, or sharks to blood in the water, because there is a certain element online today that enjoys nothing more than to kick people when they're down, and revel in people's discomfort. Indeed, on the internet, schadenfreude has evolved toward outright emotional sadism in some sense.

I saw this online one day, and it very much sums up my feelings.

Anyway... I'm rambling now and my words are likely to also be misinterpreted as some sort of desire to fight, so I'm going to bed now. I expect to regret saying any of this by the time I wake up. Oh well.

End of semi-teen-angst-like ramble, despite my being 34.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

We are angry, watch your back.

You're completely correct though. In personal interactions there is always the possibility that if you act like too much of an ass you might get a knuckle sandwich. On the internet people can be obnoxious and downright rude without having to consider any consequence.

Makes it an odd place.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Nice boobies!

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Internet social interactions lack one serious element when compared to physical world human interactions. Human world interactions have energy field awareness involved in judgement and perception that are lacking in synthetic or technological based machine intelligence interactions. Humans can feel for one another at a psychic and emotional level in person that is not possible online unless of course those material bonds already exist and just use the internet for social connections to reinforce those already existing bonds.

posted on Feb, 27 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

And that's not even touching on how women are treated online! The overt sexual advances. The trollish demeanor, harassment, and bristling at the mere suggestion that perhaps - just perhaps - this might not be okay or acceptable to them. As if those who harass women routinely are somehow victims themselves due to the faintest hint that ladies might have a problem seeing, "Nice boobies," every single time they show their faces. Of course, if you're male and say anything about this, you're a "white knight," or an "SJW."

Since January the congress of my country changed to have a majority of opositors I have been watching the live feed on YouTube of most of the sessions. There is a relative good looking congress woman in the oposition and every time she get even the smallest air time and I mean if she appears for a second in the background while the camera is panning, there is a instantaneous respond in the live chat of what appears to be annimals in heat saying very explicit things, I don't know where they keep these people but wow just wow

At the same time there is a nice looking congress woman on the other side of things, and every time the same people hate her, insult her, complains about her fake boobs (while complimenting the fake ones of the other lady) its ridiculous I don't understand if you are so deprived to make such dumb comments on one how you lose interest in the other, you are superficial enought to say the crap you say for one but grow principles for the other that may even be more attractive.

And then there are some users that use attractive ladies in their profiles to get comments of the horny beast that inhabit the live feed... And all this in a legislative session... Creeps man...

The fake sentiment of anonymity draws some very dark things on people

Lill rant of my own
edit on 27-2-2016 by Indigent because: Replace made out words in your head with appropriated ones

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

That is so true. I am pretty sure i myself usually comes across as too angry,or judgemental,or just straight up a bitch on ATS.

Thing is,i am actually a soft hearted person who has a lot of compassion for people in general,i just don't take kindly to BS and what i see as injustice.But other people may be the exact same,only their worldview is very different from mine.We both feel we are the one who is correct on our opinions and convictions on any given subject.And that if people would only see it our way,the world would propably be a better place.

Which causes exasperation,often coming across as actual anger and dislike of the opposing member.While nothing could be further from the truth.It's exasperation at an Opinion/Worldview- after all you don't even see+ cannot even picture the member you're arguing with.Well in my case anyway,it's never personal.And i've seen members i heavily disagree with on some matters,express an opinion on other matters that makes me want to give them a hug+a high five.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Please don't forget you don't see the emotional expression of the one that is writing and consider missing the intonations they would use when they would be speaking instead of writing.

A lot of emotions are projected on the text from within yourself, once you realize that it is a whole different internet. Let me give you an example, pretty easy.

Imagen a crazed up meth head really angry with a coffee made with redbull floating in their stomach that say:

Please don't forget you don't see the emotional expression of the one that is writing and consider missing the intonations they would use when they would be speaking instead of writing.

Now imagen a pink cute princes that is playing with happy kids and puppies all day saying:

See the difference?

Now imagen a dumbass saying the same.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   
There was a time in my life many years ago when I realized that the people I pass on the street and encounter everyday on a daily basis face to face.... are the exact same people who I encounter on the interwebz. And that scared the poop out of me.
edit on 28-2-2016 by geezlouise because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I agree that the anonymity and physical separation provided by the internet produces the attitude that people are not going to incur any personal wrath from anything they say. That is quite different in person. Even at times being an asshat to someone may get someone else that is totally removed or even a stranger to come over and get involved sometimes physically especially if it is a male on female issue.

It is also easier to not get the tone someone is saying things in. They may be using sarcasm, etc. and in person we use facial gestures and body language a lot more than we even know sometimes in communication. That simply is not there on the net. I guess you have to detach yourself and that is hard especially for emotional people. I even get fired up at times and I am very detached emotionally, even numb. It takes a lot for someone to tick me off in person. Usually a physical threat to someone else, over being very abusive in some manor to someone gets me involved. And then, you don't have the ability to dismantle an asshat and as a result you have to use typed means to let them know your feelings.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent

Since January the congress of my country changed to have a majority of opositors I have been watching the live feed on YouTube of most of the sessions. There is a relative good looking congress woman in the oposition and every time she get even the smallest air time and I mean if she appears for a second in the background while the camera is panning, there is a instantaneous respond in the live chat of what appears to be annimals in heat saying very explicit things, I don't know where they keep these people but wow just wow

At the same time there is a nice looking congress woman on the other side of things, and every time the same people hate her, insult her, complains about her fake boobs (while complimenting the fake ones of the other lady) its ridiculous I don't understand if you are so deprived to make such dumb comments on one how you lose interest in the other, you are superficial enought to say the crap you say for one but grow principles for the other that may even be more attractive.

Little Boys (figuratively and actually) not having the socializing effects of grownups keeping an eye on them.

Same same with the anger. And my definition of Little Boys can include women as well.

Free speech doesn't mean saying every ugly thing that pops into your mind and most people (The Donald aside) would watch what came out of their mouths in Mature, truly ANY, company. The internet isolates us from reality and people.

You might have the freedom to think whatever you do but once it leaves your mouth (or you hit enter) (action) it effects others and you are responsiblliity for any harm you initiate.
edit on 28-2-2016 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 09:10 PM
link   

This isn't the real Internet.

posted on Feb, 28 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I know. I just woke up and tuned in here to see the most offensive and depressing human exchanges going on.
It brings me down to see such hostility and hatred and stupidity, especially amongst people who are of the same nationality and everything to win from working towards some solidarity instead further dividing and falling.... It's Idiocracy in progress.

posted on Feb, 29 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise
There was a time in my life many years ago when I realized that the people I pass on the street and encounter everyday on a daily basis face to face.... are the exact same people who I encounter on the interwebz. And that scared the poop out of me.

Aaaaaand I'm terrified now. LOL.

On the other hand... that also means some of them have to be the truly wonderful people I spoke of, though.
Nothing makes my day like someone's random act of kindness. (Just to counterbalance some of what I'm sure rings to readers as "negativity." :p)

Peace.

posted on Jan, 4 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   

The internet is strange.

I think your observation is trivially accurate, but becomes wrong because in the end, the blame hits the wrong target.

The internet is indeed complex, with plethora of all kinds of layers and protocols, you could call that strange. But the internet itself is neutral and not guilty of anything.

I think what you mean, though, is that -people- of this planet are strange. They are making a mockery of the internet, and what it could be. Sure, as you mentioned, there are good people, too.

In any case, I have thought about this a lot - for decades, actually - and my train of thought usually ends up in the same station every time I think about it.

It's not really the technology, not even the unfair power structures per se - not the ugly corporate buildings and cities that have destroyed nature and natural ways of life, and cozy, human-scale villages and replaced them with inhumane concrete jungles that are only breeding grounds for depression, misery and junkies.

In the end, the root cause for all bad things, for all 'strangeness', for all unexpected horror and chaos in this world, are the people that live here.

I can't understand them, or why they are so easily so demonic, vile monsters, I can't with wisdom call them 'humans'. Only visitors and maybe enlightened Zen masters can be called human beings. (The Oiled One was a visitor, too, by the way, even though he did visit via incarnation (they had to use a high-quality seed so the physical body could take the high-level energies this high-level Cosmic Messenger lives in - and it had to be a high-level entity so the message would remain pure)) started by artificial insemination (this is why Maria could remain virgin).

The root cause of all evil is people. Hell is other people, as the saying goes. If people were good, enlightened beings with deep understanding of the Oneness of all, and thus could never hurt each other in any way, not even in their thoughts, do you think 'internet is strange' would still apply?

I often imagine what it would be like if GOOD people used all the marvellous technology we have at our disposal now - how great TV would be, and News and media would be amazing! No pollution, no torturing of any entities for any reason, and instead of big pharma, we would have actual HEALERS that completely heal and cure every illness and injury instead of just 'treating it until you die, racking up a huge medical bill'.

There's so much wrong, but a lot of it would almost instantly be fixed, if the people were replaced with ACTUAL human beings.

top topics

join