It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homicides in Chicago this year double same period last year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Looks like the Chicago government failures are piling up higher than expected.

Crime is on a wild spree this year.

Known Homicides are at 96 since Jan 1st.

Known Shootings stand at 444 as of this minute.

What a quandary they are in.

The City is deep in debt and their bond ratings are trashed.

The public school system is a total failure.

What is it going to take to get this monstrosity under control?

current crime stats ..
Chicago Jackass Awards

Homicides in Chicago this year double same period last year

Four homicides over the weekend and two more Monday morning pushed Chicago's homicide count so far this year to double the same period last year.

The city has recorded at least 95 homicides since the first of the year, compared to 47 last year, according to data kept by the Tribune. The city has also more than doubled the amount of people shot - about 420 this year compared to 193 last year.

Thirty-two people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, the youngest among them a 3-year-old boy shot in the leg in the Englewood neighborhood.

? Are they going to call in the National Guard ?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm sure the police have pulled back from stopping the "usual suspects" and such in light of all the video controversies. As such, it is no surprise to see an increase.

The winter in Chicago has also been kind of mild this year too. Thugs don't like hanging out on the block in cold weather. When it warms up, the homicides tend to increase. Sadly, my wife was joking Saturday that she wondered what the body count would be because it got up to 55-60 degrees after being below freezing most of the week.

I'm at the point, I think Englewood and Austin should just be walled off. I don't think anything can be done to save these areas and certainly any solutions that would actually be effective are going to be politically incorrect.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's a freaking shame...imagine being a 5 year old growing up in that part of town where shootings are a regular thing...kids just can't be kids...and they just start to accept that this is how life is...horrible

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Obviously, the problem is with the cops.

So we need to nationalize the police force.

Problem? Solved.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

It's a freaking shame...imagine being a 5 year old growing up in that part of town where shootings are a regular thing...kids just can't be kids...and they just start to accept that this is how life is...horrible

It is sad as it just feeds on itself. A cycle of social and cultural dysfunction that is almost impossible to break. No fathers around, hoodrat baby mamas, poor performing schools, no discipline, dope fiends and junkies everywhere, gang members everywhere, etc.

Crowning achievement of progressive policies and the war on poverty. Brought to you in technocolor by Democrats and the buckdancing, bojangling black political class who enrich themselves on the backs of the community.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

How is this possible with some of the strictest gun control in the nation? Posters at HuffPo will quickly point the finger at surrounding state's lax gun laws as the culprit, but when asked why those surrounding states don't suffer from similar gun crime rates, it's crickets.

Perhaps more laws should be legislated, even imposing double-secret probation? Or maybe, just maybe, someone will have the cajones to step up and address the root causes of the violence that plagues the city. Crumbling family structures, loss of economic opportunities, and criminal recidivism just to name a few. Until some entity is tasked with an unbiased investigation as to the ongoing violence, and their conclusions and suggestions are enacted by those who don't fear losing status or power bases, nothing will change.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

All of the above for sure.

But the smuggling is the bigger problem.

And, the cops are not equipped to "prevent" the gun crimes.

They only react and respond after the fact.

Only a military force can stop this.

Lots of "chatter" inside the police ranks about that around here.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

A military response would be effective in eradicating the people causing the violence, no doubt. But that solution would set a dangerous precedent, and I could envision many in our military that would be hesitant to use force, especially lethal force, on fellow citizens.

There is no easy answer to this problem, for the root causes are complex and many. One things for sure: nothing will change until means for addressing this problem is taken out of the hands of those in power in Chicago politics, whose only goals are power and self enrichment.

It feels good to be back! I missed reading your threads X!

edit on 7882016402016-02-23T11:55:40-06:0020162am401155 by Boscowashisnamo because: no reason given.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

How is this possible with some of the strictest gun control in the nation?

Funny you should mention that.

When I first saw the thread title I was reminded of about a year and a half ago, ATS was being bombarded with threads and posts by people with (apparent) stats about how crime was decreasing in Chicago, they were trying to tribute the decrease in the crime to the newly enacted concealed carry act... don't those people look foolish now, lol.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

99% of the shootings are committed by criminals who ignore concealed carry and ignore any laws.

Most of the victims are either children or other criminals.

This has zero to do with laws.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Move the people bull doze the city..

Thats about the only thing that can save that pit.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

they were trying to tribute the decrease in the crime to the newly enacted concealed carry act... don't those people look foolish now, lol.

Depends on who you talk to and what sources they use to validate their position. Google "does concealed carry deter crime?", and you'll find a multitude of pro and con sources. A flavor for any taste.

Criminals, especially predators, tend to target prey that cannot put up much of a defense. Doesn't it stand to reason predators will operate in areas they won't face threats, like "gun free zones"? Personally, I would feel safer in an area that supports concealed carry, and a population that espouses the responsibility of personal safety. The streets aren't awash in blood as predicted by the anti-gun folk, and guns are used in self-defense quite frequently, although MSM is likely to relegate these stories to the back pages, if printed at all.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Concealed carry has zero effect on gun crimes in Chicago. The vast majority of the people getting concealed carry licenses live no where near where the gun crime is occurring. I'm 100% in support of concealed carry, but it is a very specious argument to say that it has an impact on urban crime.

Almost all of the shootings are gang-related. Usually one thug shooting at another thug. These types of crimes have nothing to do with concealed carry.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It seems to me that since retirement communities are legal, where you have to be over a certain age to live there,and child free communities are legal,where if you have any children you can`t live there then why can`t there be communities that have other restrictions?
for example a criminal free community,if you have ever been convicted of a crime you can`t live there, or a 2 parent family community,if there is only 1 parent in the family you can`t live there.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Unfortunately, the problem has spread. When the kingpins in Chicago decided that the near-lake-front property that held the notorious high-rise public housing had to be torn down to stop bad behaviors, the hoods started moving to southern cities in the state. Chicago got rid of trash and got new, expensive lake view apartments/condos. Downstate towns Danville, Champaign-Urbana, Peoria, Springfield, etc. got the trash. Killings in those areas also have greatly increased in the process.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Edumakated

Unfortunately, the problem has spread. When the kingpins in Chicago decided that the near-lake-front property that held the notorious high-rise public housing had to be torn down to stop bad behaviors, the hoods started moving to southern cities in the state. Chicago got rid of trash and got new, expensive lake view apartments/condos. Downstate towns Danville, Champaign-Urbana, Peoria, Springfield, etc. got the trash. Killings in those areas also have greatly increased in the process.

Yeah, part of the reason is they mixed up a lot of opposing gangs when they tore down a lot of the projects. They also pushed out a lot of the residents to outlying burbs. Instead of making a better life, they just brought their social and cultural dysfunction with them to those areas.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
June 18, 2016

It's Saturday midnight. Six murders / 13 shootings in the first 24 hours of the weekend. One murder occurred while a man was live-streaming himself to Facebook.

Antonio Perkins captures his own murder: news.asiaone.com...

The news article says that Jesse Jackson has called for a end to the madness. So expect things to get better in Chicago real soon!

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

The town I live in is the same way. Per capita we're above Chicago in every crime statistic, currently there's about a 15% chance your home will be broken into each year. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had a break in happen and I've seen car jackings on the street.

That's how life in America is.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The town I live in is the same way. Per capita we're above Chicago in every crime statistic, currently there's about a 15% chance your home will be broken into each year. Literally everyone I've spoken to has had a break in happen and I've seen car jackings on the street. That's how life in America is.

Is it that high ?15% ...far out that terrible, where would i find the stats on each state i wonder ?....where i live break ins are so rare the percentage would be like 1 maybe 2% chance of a break in...and as far as a car jacking goes i have only seen it in American movies ...

I am curious because whenever the gun debate comes up many Americans say how safe they feel and how low the crime is where they are ...

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Is it that high ?15% ...far out that terrible, where would i find the stats on each state i wonder ?....where i live break ins are so rare the percentage would be like 1 maybe 2% chance of a break in...and as far as a car jacking goes i have only seen it in American movies ...

I am curious because whenever the gun debate comes up many Americans say how safe they feel and how low the crime is where they are ...

I don't know about states but there's some crime stats websites that you can use per town. Violence is actually low in my town but break ins, theft, robbery, and drugs are among the worst in the country.

To be fair, I've only seen one real live carjacking, but it was on my first day in town.

Most of America is extremely safe, people just feel unsafe because the media publishes all the crime with non of the per capita context. There's areas like my town (middle of nowhere Ohio), or Chicago, or Compton that are certainly bad but even then you have good and bad neighborhoods.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join