It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa reports huge explosion of seven meter space rock over the Atlantic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 04:38 AM
link   

A huge fireball crashed into the Atlantic earlier this month - and went almost unseen.

The event took place on February 6 at 14:00 UTC when a meteor exploded in the air 620 miles (1,000km) off the coast of Brazil.

It released energy equivalent to 13,000 tons of TNT, which is the same as the energy used in the first atomic weapon that leveled Hiroshima in 1945.

This was the largest event of its type since the February 2013 fireball that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, leaving more than 1,600 people injured.

www.dailymail.co.uk... antic.html

So an atomic bomb basically goes off over the southern Atlantic, and we are just now hearing about this? Or was this posted already?

Several times per year? In other words, several times per year you are missing city-devastating, flying space rocks that could kill us at any moment?

Nice. That's good to know.

Now you see why I don't want to live anywhere near an ocean. If that thing or bigger hits undetected in an ocean close to shore, or even far away from shore, a massive tsunami could come out of nowhere and destroy. And in the Atlantic, it could hit shore before any buoy sensors went off. And even if they did go off, with no associated earthquake, I seriously question whether the agencies would get the warning out in time to save the east coast.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Anything that is life threatening or life altering is kept from the public. The people of the world are kept in the dark about many things. We go about our daily lives while being manipulated and denied information by a select minority. Is it any wonder why more and more people don't trust their government?

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
It's time we take these cosmic threats serious!

Stop putting money in the making of war and start protecting civilization!
Or do we have to wait until one of these rocks hit a highly populated area and kills millions of people?!?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: intergalactic fire
Or do we have to wait until one of these rocks hit a highly populated area and kills millions of people?!?

Of course. Necessity is the mother of invention. And mass casualty is the necessity.

While it can be argued that the NEO program is doing this and may be somewhat effective for very large ones, there is no question we have to do more. We have to be able to spot the smaller ones, and develop effective, last minute measures that can be taken against them.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

Of course. Necessity is the mother of invention. And mass casualty is the necessity.

While it can be argued that the NEO program is doing this and may be somewhat effective for very large ones, there is no question we have to do more. We have to be able to spot the smaller ones, and develop effective, last minute measures that can be taken against them.

There isn't anything we can do at present.

You are demanding solutions to problems that are beyond our capabilities.

It isn't a matter of funding or motivation, it is a matter of capability.

Right now we aren't capable.

Even if we had years warning there is little we could do.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   
But we're not meant to worry about a bigger impact because ... "we'd see it coming"

Thanks for posting this. Just another reason to think for ourselves.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

A huge fireball crashed into the Atlantic earlier this month - and went almost unseen.

The event took place on February 6 at 14:00 UTC when a meteor exploded in the air 620 miles (1,000km) off the coast of Brazil.

It released energy equivalent to 13,000 tons of TNT, which is the same as the energy used in the first atomic weapon that leveled Hiroshima in 1945.

This was the largest event of its type since the February 2013 fireball that exploded over Chelyabinsk, Russia, leaving more than 1,600 people injured.

www.dailymail.co.uk... antic.html

So an atomic bomb basically goes off over the southern Atlantic, and we are just now hearing about this? Or was this posted already?

we are getting the report of the event now.... only because the info probably got released from USA government Spy Satellite records...

the boloid exploded in the air, just like the earlier one reported over Russia which caused a lot of damage to homes over a large area

my guess is this boloid is probably from the same swarm of space-rocks as the earlier Russian ones (including the much earlier Tunguska event)...
the orbits of this swarm of space-rocks likely crosses the Earth's orbital plane at around 15 degrees, which might cause atmospheric entry of these rocks above Russia during certain months of the year ~ but atmospheric entry by other rocks in the debris field to happen in the south Atlantic...
that would take some math work to tie-the-events-together (which I am sure dark ops Intel already has knowledge of,,,and might just be the underlying reason for 'deep underground bunkers/cities' for government and leadership elites

a problem of increased probability involving asteroid/Space-Rocks impacts on the Earth
rather than any Nibiru or Nemesis Star approaching
edit on rd29145623030723252016 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:15 AM
link   

yes correct, but it's a joke to know how little money is spend in the NEO program.
Spaceguard should have a higher priority, a lot higher.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

I'd say it is very much so a matter of both funding and motivation. Because the second that one of these days a dense rock, bus-sized hits a city and kills hundreds or thousands, what do you want to bet they'll have both the funding and the motivation instantaneously? What sucks is the fact that the funding IS the motivation more often than not.

It'll take some scientist's little sister getting vaporized in a distant city before this problem is ever fixed. And even then, he's going to have to fight to the bitter death with the gubbmint to get federal tax funding to realize the solution. So yeah, I'd say the prospects of a solution any time soon are bleak at best. As to capability, I have every faith in science to come up with a solution.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   

It's a matter of motivation.
If we can send a probe to land on an asteroid i don't see a problem with capability.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   

It's only a matter of time my friend.. but to also point out areas of dense population are a drop on the ocean as it were to the amount of empty space and water in our planet.
Probability of one hitting a major city are lower.. but then again the lottery has low odds but someone wins that nearly every week..
edit on 23/2/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

If i remember well, the Tunguska event came from the Taurids meteor shower.
That's also the one scientists believe has the biggest threat.

You can ask yourself is there any connection between the Bull that is often depicted in drawings, figurines,... from ancient civilizations and the Taurids/Taurus meteor shower?

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Actually Russia has said they are working on a system that could deflect or destroy an extinction event Asteroid.. Not a great video but it does cover some of the high points.
youtu.be...

A couple of years ago I did a thread about the cosmic roulette wheel our solar system resides in where it is estimated that over one million asteroids less than 1/2 to 1/4 mile in diameter are floating around and could cause problems without us even detecting them until there is a quick video of their approach and impact.

The old thread had a CBS 60 minute video which was worth a watch IMO if interested in what they believe is actually out there..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intergalactic fire

I'm a bit more partial to the "Tunguska was probably an ice comet" theory myself. It explains the lack of any fragments better than other theories, in my opinion.

The moral of the story here folks is these things are happening, and they often happen without either being seen or reported, or both. The comsos is warning us bigtime to get our act together fast and come up with a solution. But oil is more important.

If they can come up with all the fancy systems they have for defending against incoming, high speed projectiles on a ship, then they just have to up their game and develop something that can intercept and destroy one coming in at 50,000 mph.

No problem.

edit on Tue Feb 23rd 2016 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Reminds me of my homeowners insurance.

I have some trees that are probably older than the US around my house. Called the insurance to see if I could preemptively top them and they basically told me that I would have to wait for one to fall and crush my house, garage and cars before I can make a claim.

Same concept with these NEOs. Nothing will be done until massive damage is done.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Anything that is life threatening or life altering is kept from the public. The people of the world are kept in the dark about many things. We go about our daily lives while being manipulated and denied information by a select minority. Is it any wonder why more and more people don't trust their government?

And yet...its been reported...as have all the other life threatening events that have occured.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Agreed, we ignore these risks at mankinds peril in my opinion. Its only a matter of time before a city is hit. Big or small, there will be loss of life.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm sure everything will be fine.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

No wonder here. We have no government any more, just overlords.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Do you know what is preventing us having the capability? That's right, money!

If they were to throw as much money at this problem as they do into wars (and by 'they' I mean every government in the world) then they would have something ready by tea time tomorrow (a slight exaggeration but they would be able to resolve the problem fast with the right funding).

The monetary system (and basic human greed) is the only thing holding the human race back...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join