It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What era do you have good memories of or would like to return?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Just the other day I was discussing with a friend how wonderful the late 60's mid 70's were. Not only because in that period of my life everything was just fine and dandy with no worries ...my meals were cooked and bills paid by my parents. But also because I liked the clothes people wore, the cars on the street, the music and also just how society was interacting with eachother in general. If I compare it with everything that came next of course.

If I could choose a time to return I think I would pick the early 50"s to mid 60's...yes I know, that is the decade before I was born. Why..? Because i think it would have been great to see the world change to a more liberal way of thinking and doing things. The change in music, the leap in technology and becoming available for consumers.. I think television, cars, trains, household goods, toys and all that other stuff. I also have the impression that the women looked more... well,..had more well groomed looks.

What about you...? I started this thread because I am curious what young people and older people have to say on this subject.. those who were born in the eighties and the elder people...lets say.. the older the better.

I can imagine that some folks would very much like to live during the roman empire... that fine with me but please tell us readers why.

Cheers..

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I thought the 90's were great but I wouldn't trade it for 2016. We live in an amazing era right now.

ps edit - I just reread your OP and realized you meant any time. If that were the case, I would live on the fertile crescent, serving as a priestess in a temple to Inanna, most likely living in Uruk. Or... with the Pictish tribes in northern Scotland, before all those pesky clothed people got there.
edit on 19-2-2016 by Abysha because: added stuffs

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Hey Bud! Long time no see! I would like to be back in the 70's Myself. Loved the Music comin out, also the 60's Rock that was still rampant. Some things I cannot discuss here that I miss too. Now a days one could easily end up in a hospital from some of that.. (Nudge nudge wink wink) LMAO!!!
Good to see Ya! Hope You are well!!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

I thought the 90's were great but I wouldn't trade it for 2016. We live in an amazing era right now.

ps edit - I just reread your OP and realized you meant any time. If that were the case, I would live on the fertile crescent, serving as a priestess in a temple to Inanna, most likely living in Uruk. Or... with the Pictish tribes in northern Scotland, before all those pesky clothed people got there.

Because..

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   

I would like to return to 800,000 BCE.
The air was clean, the people were happy.
We had a globally connected electric grid using earth based power stations built into a series of pyramids that connected and stored and shared free energy for the entire planet.

Taxes where high, but all needs where taken care of.

The major cities where hubs for space travel and the world filled with all types from all over the galaxy.

My favorite thing from that time period would be the diverse amounts of tinctures that where readily available.
Some of these tinctures with ingredients from origins often unknown help with space travel without leaving the physical space that you are in.

Mental hook-ups and virtual meetings in far away lands.

I want to go back

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I have always wanted to be at least 18 in the late 50s-60s, ever since I can remember since I was a child, sitting and listening to the music from the 60s. My personality and personal traits would fit in extremely well with that time period...being a gentleman,caring, I call my personality "old school" lol.
Great thread, btw I was born in 86
edit on 19-2-2016 by neomaximus10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Beat me to it.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I would love to have been born in 1970 so I could experience the rise of rock and more importantly metal. My choice of nation would be the one I was truly born in, Poland, living under Communism and during the time of martial law which from what I hear was not a terrible thing (I learn from the personal experiences of my mother so unless you have personal experience do not go on the Red Scare
) Listening to Polish punk bands of those times; Dezerter, Under the Gun (not Polish though Polish immigrants to the UK) Kolaboranci, Kult, and Brygada Kryzys and well, metal from all over.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Your question is sort of fun and sort of sad. It was a great time until the moment JFK was shot. The time between the news, and the rest of the news, was the same as watching 911, and things were never the same after that.

But on the lighter side, what comes to my mind is how uncomfortable curlers were to sleep on. Also the day that Tab came out. Tab was (still is?) a version of Coca-cola, but only with one calorie in it. I had taken my baby-sitting money and bought a bottle of it home and split it between two glasses. I offered a glass to my mother asking her which glass she wanted and she looked a bit worried and asked me, "I don't know. Which one has the calorie?" At first we were hesitant to taste it. Then we took a sip, but neither of us could discern what a calorie was, much to our relief.

I also remember false eye lashes. Once I found my grandmother at my dressing table, spraying mine with a can of Raid.

But what I remember most was how romantic the music was, how beautiful the ladies with their sequined and satin gowns. I couldn't wait to be old enough to wear these, but by then the styles had changed. And Viet Nam also changed and took the magic out of life.

But oh, the Beatles! I had them everywhere! I even had a picture of Paul that I cut out and pasted into the center of the phone and he would spin around when the phone was dialed. I even had Beatle tennis shoes.

But again, Viet Nam...

And they had these boxes with long cords, so you could hear the TV from your bed.

Anyway, thanks for the memories...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Yes.. I hear you..lol. How are you... you got us worried some time ago. Hope everything is back on track for you again.

I agree with the music.. Would have loved to be old enough to have slid through the mud at Woodstock while Jimi is showing the world how it is done..hahaahha

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Doin well now Bro thanx! Yah, Woodstock would have been great!!!
I was born in 62' so couldn't get there!! LMAO!!!
Stay Cool Zatara!!!

Syx...

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Oh the 70's were awesome! Got to see a lot of heavy metal bands and met a lot of the musicians and singers back then. Graduated in 76 and married in 79, so then there were jobs and responsibilities and growing up. Things weren't as much fun after that. LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Ah, you had a great life then! What sub genres do you like, I'm curious. I'd suggest Christ Agony, death metal, but their album entitled "Darkside" is relatively lighter. I envy you!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I miss the just budding tech age of the 80's
Oh how i miss my Atari 2600 lol
Those were the days. Living in the trailer park, everyone knew each other. Was allowed to stay out till dark at 7 years old. Playing in the forest or catching crayfish in the small creeks around the area.
Great times!

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I get weirdly nostalgic for the 80s, which is a little weird because I did live in the 80s, but barely remember them. I have some vague recollections of what "I" was doing as a young child in the 80s, but I didn't really have any sense of the wider world. It just seems like the 80's were the last decade that really stood out as having it's own style and feel. The 90's was just the 80's toned down. It just seems like the past 15 years or so has been largely just technological progression without much cultural change. Of course, nostalgia might make me change my mind in another 20 years.
edit on 19-2-2016 by Slanter because: re-wording

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Man...yes, I understand. If....no when time travel will be available my ticket would be Cairo Giza plateau at the time they are building the pyramids. That would be some experience just standing there seeing how they did it.

There is this Island somewhere in Micronesia, Nan Madol which is build with these huge stones. Some modern Pohnpeians believe the stones were flown to the island by use of black magic. Would certainly be a spectacle watching that Island taking shape.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

These days I listen to quite a variety of music, everything from heavy metal to classical.

I remember when there was just heavy metal, then the next thing you know... there is speed metal, melodic metal, death metal...
So these days when someone says they are into heavy metal they have to be more specific. LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I was lucky enough to have been a young adult in 1967.

Probably the best year of my life. Just started work, money to spend and probably some of the greatest ever music produced during that year. I could make a list but it would just go on and on and on.

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The mid 80s. We had the greatest generation in charge, they ran the important stuff, and largely ignored us kids. We had some great music of a past generation, and a little bit of really good new music (Metalica) We had never heard of a school shooting, everyone could get along, if you went to a concert, you were guaranteed to "contact" a good time.

It was the most care-free slice of time, with the least amount of douche bags.

Then came the real world.

blah.........

posted on Feb, 19 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

The 80's.
Adidas trainers,the music,wedge haircuts, Slazenger Jumpers, a truly loathsome Prime Minister Maggie Thatcher and standing on the terraces at the Football and the 2 days a year for all out war of two cities...Manchester United v Liverpool......ahhhh.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join