It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Lives!!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Finally! After almost a year of not having my own machine to work on, I am writing my first ever post on my brand new, super shiny desktop PC.

I sm lifting an Angry Orchard in a toast to it. It took such a long time to get all the parts painfully assembled. It's not every day you have two PCs die within hours of each other and end up barely managing to scrape together one working machine out of the bones of the two.

We had a working monitor and optical drive left out of my old baby. So we had to rebuild it from the ground up, even needed a new case. Modern builds simply outgrew what I had.

And now I have to bid you all a good evening while I go begin the process of transferring files, installing programs, setting peripherals the way I like them and generally making this thing mine.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Good for you and congratulations!
I shall raise my devil water in a salute to you!
Those of you with such talents leave me somewhat envious...
Enjoy!
💣
You da bomb!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wonderful! I'm not technically inclined so I envy you too. Congratulations, have fun!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Took us long enough... about 4 hours freaking out over lack of display. Had to dismantle the entire dang thing and start from scratch. But we are 2-computer household again! Now people can more convincingly accuse us of sock puppetry with time-stamps that are possibly much closer!

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

In theory, it isn't all that tough to do. There are website utilities online that will make sure you pick parts that are all compatible with each other so you know what you have ought to work.

Once you have that, then it should be a simple matter of plugging it all together and turning it on and then installing stuff.

But it always seems like there is some minor problem in your first attempt to hook it all together somewhere. A loose cable or hookup. You seated the ram or the vid card wrong or in the wrong configuration. Something stupid that makes you want to chuck the whole lot through a window screaming in frustration before it all decides to cooperate.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Now people can more convincingly accuse us of sock puppetry with time-stamps that are possibly much closer!

If you're not a sock puppet, how do we know you're not a completely different personality rattling around inside her head?

I'm just kidding.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
That sounds like a lot of fun. At least you got a new machine. I know it sucks when they break down.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

In theory, but in real life, my life, it would be like trying to learn Chinese and I suck at languages. LOL

I got my first computer in 2005 and I didn't even know what LOL meant. Seriously! I had these youngsters on forums teach me how to highlight and copy and do basic maintenance stuff. Oh I was pitiful I tell you. LOL Someone would ask me a simple question about my computer and I was like...HUH? Then I got braver and started figuring a few things out for myself. It was funny as hell and we all had a good laugh.

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

W00T

posted on Feb, 13 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

He's the one who gets to mess around with all the cables and wires for the most part. I help like the nurse in the OR.

I do a lot better when it comes to installing things and shuffling files and folders around. I just need to get my email back up and running on this one and Office back online. I finally got my current games, Origin, and Steam re-installed and recognizing the new computer and ready to roll.

And now that I'm ready to go ... it's time for bed.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Skid Mark

He's the one who gets to mess around with all the cables and wires for the most part. I help like the nurse in the OR.

These important jobs take two people, I know. A member and a "sock puppet". LOL!

Congrats (to both of you) for managing to get a good machine up and running for yourself! Don't know what we'd do without you!

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Heh, we've been accused of it.

It shouldn't be surprising. When we first started going out, we used to say the same things at the same time with creepy regularity. Our minds do operate on a disturbingly similar wavelength. Makes things a lot smoother for the most part though even if friends get a bit weirded out at times.

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Heh, we've been accused of it.

I know... I saw... So have we.

We have the same wavelength issue. After 24 years together, day in and day out, it's bound to happen. Kinda cool, but creepy sometimes.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
its always good to see a nemesis return to the field of battle.

welcome back.

top topics

join