It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden rapid warming of the Earth - 5 million years ago

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I was sent this article from a friend in Australia, which relates to a network of caves in the Nullabor region. A region that has always been very dry and arid, with the exception of a period of time when a rainforest grew in the region.

How could a rainforest grow in a dry and arid region? Climate change was to blame, a period of rapid warming of the Earth which warmed the seas, bringing about more rain to the area. The rains fell allowing plant life to grow and stay around for a couple of million years.

The iconic Nullarbor Plain is a vast expanse of desert straddling South and Western Australia, which receives less than 3cm of rain annually and is nearly entirely devoid of trees.

This inhospitable landscape is generally believed to have evolved in a linear fashion, becoming increasingly more arid in response to a cooling event in the southern hemisphere, which began around 14 million years ago.

But now, scientists at the University of Melbourne say a mysterious period of rapid warming, beginning five million years ago, dramatically altered the landscape of the Nullarbor Plain, bringing substantially more rain and allowing new plant life to flourish.

So a sudden rise in Global temperature around 5 million years ago brought about a change to the landscape in the Nullabor area.

A sudden rise in Global temperature that could not be attributed to Man, and just part of a natural cycle that the Earth experiences.

Still, 'Man Made Global Warming' is an industry now, so maybe we should just ignore the evidence of Earth's natural history and continue to pay our green taxes like good citizens?

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

What are you trying to prove here? That climate change happened in the past thus it cannot possibly be caused by man in the present? Because there is no correlation whatsoever between those two premises.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Oh absolutely pay more and get less and don't you allow those deniers make you think otherwise .We have a earth to save .:>) should not need a sarc tag .

+31 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What I am suggesting is that the Earth has experienced sudden rises in temperature even when man wasn't around. But we can paper over that fact and pay £Millions to scientists to prove it is 'Man Made', in order for our Governments to take £Billions in taxes from us.

It's my opinion dude, don't get too upset by it.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Is there a possibility that a natural disaster caused this rapid warming. Such as a meteor impact or super volcano creating a kick up or dust into the atmosphere creating a massive greenhouse effect?

I don't understand the idea that for no reason the earth just heats up. There has got to be an underlying reason for it.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

edit on 11-2-2016 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The dinosaurs became extinct without any intervention by humans.

Ergo, humans cannot possibly be responsible for making any species extinct.

Right?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

Right?

No, but humans are the only ones feeling g guilty about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

This ^^

However, there is a huge conspiracy to be seen in all of this

Global Warming is the "Alien Invasion" needed to unite the world under one order.

They didn't go with the space invaders plan, they're going with Global Warming.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

What I am suggesting is that the Earth has experienced sudden rises in temperature even when man wasn't around. But we can paper over that fact and pay £Millions to scientists to prove it is 'Man Made', in order for our Governments to take £Billions in taxes from us.

This conclusion doesn't make any sense.

The argument isn't that man is the sole and only cause of the planet's climate change. The argument is that, in modern times, Man is having a direct effect on the current climate.

I don't think any single person believes that humans are the only way the Earth's climate can change.

You're arguing a point that doesn't exist.
edit on 11/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: AndyMayhew

Right?

No, but humans are the only ones feeling g guilty about it.

Because humans dont have to do it ..... and besides, most asteroids dont have a conscience.

But yes, there is an argument we are a part of nature and therefore anything we do is natural and nothing to worry about.

So is sh*tting in your own bed.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

A sudden rise in Global temperature that could not be attributed to Man, and just part of a natural cycle that the Earth experiences.

A sudden rise in Global temperatures, but over how long of a time period, the global warming going on in present day is at a speed of a freight train, the warming back then could have been over a time period of a million years.

Time is the clue...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

This ^^

However, there is a huge conspiracy to be seen in all of this

Global Warming is the "Alien Invasion" needed to unite the world under one order.

They didn't go with the space invaders plan, they're going with Global Warming.

So far, the global warming plan isnt going any better.

I guess we need something else to stip us fighting each other and start to work together for the commo good?

Mutant Star Goat anyone?

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Imagine if this was a case about a person instead of our world

you got most people pointing at gunshots and stuff and saying "this is a murder"
then you got a few fringe people demanding it not be looked at, saying that people have died naturally before, therefore its not murder, because people die naturally.

at what point do you simply eject that person from the room for hampering the investigation, finding the actual cause, and taking action?

____
Here are the facts. global unrelated scientists doing all their own peer reviewed studies have concluded the earth is in fact warming
just as the scientists 25+ years ago said it was, when it was denied by the entire right wing establishment and corporate interests..(same jerks who said lead was totally fine for humans. they will and have tried to destroy civilization for profit. past behavior is relevant here)

Now today, you got a few nuts still denying the science, most have abandoned this denial and have moved the goalpost, from instead of denying the environment is really starting to become destable as the oceans and atmosphere heats up, to now..well, man isn't at fault
Even though the same scientists who alerted the warming also gave a measurable valid scientific reason as to why.
so now we gotta deal with the "lead is perfectly fine in your water" group denying and blocking once again science.

The evidence shows man is contributing to this. now, shut up about your distractions and start instead working on real solutions, like funding for R&D for atmospheric scrubbers, solar and wind farms, etc...

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

No one is debating that the climate hasn't changed in the past, you still cannot use that as evidence to prove that man isn't causing the change now. Because again they are unrelated and not correlated.

You posted the op, expect push back from people who actually understand science. Otherwise don't post the OP.
edit on 11-2-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   

A sudden rise in Global temperatures, but over how long of a time period, the global warming going on in present day is at a speed of a freight train, the warming back then could have been over a time period of a million years.

Time is the clue...

He believes that people who state that there is man-made climate change are literally claiming that man is the only thing to ever change the climate and that nothing else can do that.

Which is just a ridiculous false premise. He doesn't even know what our position is.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

The guy that first took some guey stuff seeping out of the ground in Pennsylvania discovered that he could make Kerosene with it and saved the whales ....now what was your point ?

eta....haveing recently watched this epicode of the corbett report I find it fitting to place it in this thread

edit on 11-2-2016 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
i will throw my opinion in :

anthropomorphic climate changes are dawrfed by historic natural climate changes

chew on that

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Renewable energy investment has been massively cut here in the U.K, whilst it appears Government are siding with Fracking and doing everything it can for licences to be issued to the drilling companies by Lancashire Council.

Please do not get me wrong, I am all for protecting the environment and believe in renewable energy, re-cycling, the works.

But once you see your Government turn their back on renewable sources, it speaks volumes about the validity of the claims and the amount of revenue it raises for the public purse through taxation of a fraudulent occurrence, well that speaks for itself.

posted on Feb, 11 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
i will throw my opinion in :

anthropomorphic climate changes are dawrfed by historic natural climate changes

chew on that

Yes, that's absolutely correct.

However, no one is claiming that anthropomorphic climate change is far more severe than any natural one, but rather, that Anthropomorphic climate change is actually occurring, and we can prevent it.
edit on 11/2/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join