It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason I stopped posting on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+101 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This was such a fantastic forum in the past, but the number of mods started to grow. Everything started to be scrutinized, including threads in "Cooking" if you posted a recipe for owl soup. In one thread about who the owners of the site were (when they kept that secret), I identified them because it was public information and I used deductive reasoning on their post history. That certainly turned into a storm, but it was the moderators of the day that were promoting the thread with votes and replies. When the truth was actually told though, the doors were slammed shut on a popular thread that vanished like a lot of other threads do.

But it's also that every change in the site was a step in the wrong direction, a direction that drove a lot of the older members away. ATS wanted fluff and BS conspiracy stuff only, and now I see some of that isn't even permitted, like Sandy Hook.

I've been a member here for a long time, and contributed a lot, but the rules became too much. A drama of internal politics took the joy out of the site, and that's sad.

I still come by and take a look to see how things are going, but I hope you loosen up a little, I'd like to become a regular contributor again.

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I'm on the same boat.

I've been seriously questioning my continued activity on these boards, for similar reasons.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: anxietydisorder

"F××K tha police!"

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
With that star to post ratio, you obviously beat the game already. No need to play further.

+28 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   
ATS really has gone down. I used to read on this site daily. Now I stop in maybe twice a week. I've been reading and lurking on other sites that are similar.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Farewell, I can't say I agree with your sentiments, but then again, I've only been here five years. I can't appreciate how you feel being around 10+ years, but life changes, you just have to suck it up.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Esoterotica
With that star to post ratio, you obviously beat the game already. No need to play further.

That's actually a forum glitch that occurs to members whom joined prior to 2007.

That would mean Razmijix would have nearly 18,000 stars per post, and the OP would have 6250 per post.

+53 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I've stopped regularly visiting this site as I feel there has been a very negative change in posts and threads. So much hate and arguements when ATS used to have some amazing thought provoking content. Sad times

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   
viva la revoluccion! altho thread will 404 soon,,,,,,,,,,

+13 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Razmijix
ATS really has gone down. I used to read on this site daily. Now I stop in maybe twice a week. I've been reading and lurking on other sites that are similar.

I post on another site continually, and sometimes multiple times a day, so I'm still very active on the internet. I'd like to know what the owners of ATS are going to do to draw back content providers like me?

The members are ATS, and we provide everything of interest that draws people to this site. What do you think they should do to keep us coming back?

Throw out some ideas people, because I would hate to see this site disappear, it's a warehouse full of information I'd hate to lose.

+39 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: On the level

Exactly. And it's become more political than it used to be. It used to have more threads on UFOs,ancient civilizations and just general fringe stuff. Now it seems to be all politics and current events.

+15 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

In my view, things being less than one would like is a reason to remain and ensure by so doing that there is always a reminder of the way things used to be done.

I keep coming here every day, because this is still a place where I can discuss matters which are important to me, and to the world, in depth and with people who want to do the same. It is not always easy, but there again, most things that are worth doing, are not easy to do.

+34 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: anxietydisorder
This was such a fantastic forum in the past, but the number of mods started to grow. Everything started to be scrutinized, including threads in "Cooking" if you posted a recipe for owl soup.

Seriously? I think you're exaggerating a bit there.

In one thread about who the owners of the site were (when they kept that secret), I identified them because it was public information and I used deductive reasoning on their post history.

This also seems more contrived that real. We've never been secretive about ownership, in fact, we've been rather forward about the "Three Amigos" for a long, long time: Simon Gray, Bill Irvine, Mark Allin.

I do recall, long ago, several threads that contained outright lies about us, and yes, those were removed and sometimes resulted in account bans.

That certainly turned into a storm, but it was the moderators of the day that were promoting the thread with votes and replies. When the truth was actually told though, the doors were slammed shut on a popular thread that vanished like a lot of other threads do.

Again, this seems highly contrived.

But it's also that every change in the site was a step in the wrong direction, a direction that drove a lot of the older members away. ATS wanted fluff and BS conspiracy stuff only, and now I see some of that isn't even permitted, like Sandy Hook.

You should know why we restrict discussions of Sandy Hook. Seriously, you know better than to toss that nonsense into this discussion

I've been a member here for a long time, and contributed a lot, but the rules became too much.

The rules haven't changed in 12 years.

In fact, our significant growth is directly attributable to the instigation of those rules 12 years ago which seem to irritate you now.

I still come by and take a look to see how things are going, but I hope you loosen up a little, I'd like to become a regular contributor again.

If you're honest with yourself over these apparent "issues" you've raised, we'd love to have you contribute again.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I don't know but if this site would go back to its roots I'd definitely stay around like I used to,and so would many other people. Some people will say the site has just evolved but I disagree with that. If I want to keep up with politics and current events I'll just watch msm.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
when anything becomes popular, it has to be watered down to appeal to a wider audience.
thats just how things work.

although i do hate that there is a pets forum, cooking forum etc.

youre dogs are ugly, and people are too polite to tell you your recipes are terrible.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
when anything becomes popular, it has to be watered down to appeal to a wider audience.
thats just how things work.

although i do hate that there is a pets forum, cooking forum etc.

youre dogs are ugly, and people are too polite to tell you your recipes are terrible.

I remember those always being there in BTS. Maybe I'm wrong? I never went into those anyway.

+25 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Razmijix

Personally speaking, this site is still the best of its sort on the Internet.

I have been lead to experiment with other sites on the net, by people I respect deeply and appreciate the opinions of very much.

And every time my interest in those alternatives collapses when I realise that the only place that does what I like to do, and does it in a way that I find conducive to the sort of discussion that GETS SOMEWHERE and improves the understanding of all parcipants, is this one, right here.

You can toot the horn of anarchy all you like, and I will applaud your expression of your free thinking on the matter, but I cannot agree with the conclusion you have reached about this place, or what happens in it. I love it here. Nothing is perfect, but this place offers me opportunities to expand my knowledge base, share what I know, and commune with minds worth connecting with, in a way which no other site on the planet can possibly replicate in the smallest detail.

This is it. This is the best there is. This site is like the SAS. There are lots of groups all over the world that have the same mission statement, but none carry it out as comprehensively, concisely, cleanly, or with the same steadfast purpose and determination. I have the utmost respect for the freedom to voice an opinion, but I think that people who have a negative outlook on this site have either forgotten why they joined, or worse, joined for the wrong reasons. I have had my bouts of dealing with more morons than usual, and never more than during an election cycle. Hell, I even got abused for posting a Happy 4th of July thread in honour of my cousins across the sea, but even the crappiest day on the boards does not touch the nine years of intelligent discourse I have had here.

Without this place, my mind would have collapsed by now, starved of any conversation on any topic worth a brass plated crap, as I would have been without it. I owe at least thirty percent of my current ability to apply my intelligence quotient to my life, to this site, and the exercise my brain has gotten here, and I think that those who discount, or remain unaware of the benefits of membership should meditate more deeply on the matter before forming an opinion. Our minds, as members, have the potential for far more agility as a result of our activity here, than we might initially give credit for.

That credit most certainly is due however, and it is bad form to withhold it, in my view.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Oh no. Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing this site at all nor tooting the horn of anarchy as you said. I love this site too.

All I'm saying is that it has changed over the years and its changed beyond what I find interesting. I can no longer find many answers here like I used to because the entire theme has seemed to change. That's all I meant. Nothing bad,I promise!

I still love ATS. And I'm with you,had it not been for this site I would have lost it a decade ago. I'm just tired of the politics and things like that. I,like the many of us, had something happen to me and I went on a journey for answers which led me here.

Obviously,I rarely post much. I read up on things here and I have a discussion group where we talk about many topics. But I feel like I know many of you. I've seen your names here for years.

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I've been here a few years myself and visit daily... the quality of the content has gone downhill significantly.
I used to spend hours making quality theads which if you look at my history have many between 50 and 200 flags. But to be honest now I wouldn't waste my time.
Also have noticed lately it just seems to be the same members posting in every thread.. I often ask myself how many unique visitors here daily? it appears as though numbers have dropped from a few years ago. .

Edit add.. the are a few members I do miss who no longer active here.. 'mad about mars guy' 'the wolf number 11' and 'jedi guy' to name but a few.
edit on 7/2/16 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Well I have to agree with the OP on a certain level.

No I am not that of an old member, no I am not that member that contributed a lot. But yeah the site did change a lot.
Not perse the rules or so, it changed because the users changed. And it should change as everything changes. I won't say it is for the best or not. Somethings come in ones life and somethings go away from one.

What I do know is that the opinions/discussion have become much more polarized in here then a few years ago, but so did mankind in general, after all the site is merely a reflection of it's users swimming along in the rules of the owners.

I used to come here because this was the place where I get the news I wanted to read as first the fastest. Ok I still have that here occasionally, but a lot of times I don't.

In the years I've gained a lot of valuable knowledge here but I also did at other places. I've seen brilliant minds expressing their ideas here, but I also saw them do elsewhere. Just like elsewhere I've seen the depths and downfalls of society on here. Do I like reading here? Hell yeah... but is it the Holy Grail? Not so much, I haven't found it elsewhere on the interwebz either. But well that is just life I guess.. The most mindboggling exclusive experiences always happen at moments you didn't expect them, at places you wouldn't believe and with people you couldn't imagen.

To say it is the organization behind a website that changed it all is just as ignorant as saying a forumbased website doesn't change according to the influx of users imho. Things just change always. You can either adapt and follow those changes or change yourself and accept it is not the path of that moment.

But who am I to say all that? I am just a regular Dumbass.
edit on 7-2-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join