It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Pop Music Dominate Evangelical Christian Services?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: schuyler

Yes, and no.

As I said, I think there is a place for some contemporary music in the service. I also think you need the traditional too. A balance of old and new adheres the community across generations. Like it or not (and believe it or not), people's tastes change as they age and the older hymns become more important. You need to bond the older members to the younger. Part of that is sharing the old and the new in a balance.

To often it goes all one way or the other.

The various choirs should also sing - old and young.

The church I attend actually does just that. 9:30 service is more traditional as the majority who attend are elderly and 11:30 service is contemporary. Lol the 11:30 one might scare the old folks a bit

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

When they are rocking out like that is it okay to throw the heavy metal horns with your fingers?

LOL. No.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

When they are rocking out like that is it okay to throw the heavy metal horns with your fingers?

One of these days we should try it and see what happens.....
you wanna? Too late to go today, but there's one of these used-to-be-a-skating-rink buildings a few blocks away that is now a 'contemporary service, hot music' venue (according to their marquis). Parking Sunday mornings the lot is always overflowing - even into the carwash next door and the abandoned BBQ restaurant across the street.

We should do it on the same day - bring a lighter, too - and wave it in the air shouting "Wwoooooo!" when the band finishes up.

edit on 2/7/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

One of these days we should try it and see what happens.....
you wanna? Too late to go today, but there's one of these used-to-be-a-skating-rink buildings a few blocks away that is now a 'contemporary service, hot music' venue (according to their marquis). Parking Sunday mornings the lot is always overflowing - even into the carwash next door and the abandoned BBQ restaurant across the street.

We should do it on the same day - bring a lighter, too - and wave it in the air shouting "Wwoooooo!" when the band finishes up.

If you do, try to find a Pentecostal megachurch with a rock band (if that exists).

Since they like to throw up their arms and scream and make funny noises, and jerk around like they are having convulsions, you should be able to blend in if your doing a Beavis and Butt-Head jam.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Since you are not a church goer, I would ask why you you would not simply choose a church that suits you?

With the traditional churches you get a lot of institution steeped in authoritarianism. Multiple layers of hierarchy, etc. This happens in the "non-denom" churches too, but to a much lesser extent.

Maybe I'm looking for a balance between... formal and informal? Isn't there something in between punks wearing crosses and stiffs wearing suits looking down their noses at you?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ServantOfTheLamb

I suppose what is confusing me is why the type of music they play is weighing in on the validity of the message of Christ? Going to that church building is not gonna change anything.

By running that message through the same machine that, everywhere else in society, promotes values antithetical to those of the church...

...makes the whole endeavor seem totally disingenous, as stated before.

Another member asked why I would need a church at all. I suppose I don't, but who wants to develop and maintain a relationship with God in isolation? I need to be around like minded people. This is why, in many religions, the community of believers is so important that they name it. In Christianity, the Body of Christ, in Islam, the Ummah, in Buddhism, the Sangha, and so on. They consider their communities to be extremely important to the well-being of the people who comprise them.

It's difficult to navigate the perils of this world without help and support.
edit on 2/7/16 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Another member asked why I would need a church at all. I suppose I don't, but who wants to develop and maintain a relationship with God in isolation? I need to be around like minded people.

With all due respect for your wanting to be with the like-minded, you can find much better sites than ATS on which to do so.
There are loads of them that don't allow us heathens and doubters to speak up at all.

Would that make you more comfortable?

If that's what you want, why are you on ATS?
Asking in all sincerity.....are you open to other ideas besides your Christianity?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I just purchased us matching Black Sabbath tour shirts.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

With all due respect for your wanting to be with the like-minded, you can find much better sites than ATS on which to do so.
There are loads of them that don't allow us heathens and doubters to speak up at all.

Who said I didn't want you to speak up? I just don't want you to turn this into an anti-Christian bigot-fest. Which you haven't.

Asking in all sincerity.....are you open to other ideas besides your Christianity?

Yes. But as non-believers are so quick to point out when criticized for their obsessive focus on Christianity while ignoring other religions, Christianity is the most culturally relevant religion in our society; therefore, it gets the attention. It gets the first look.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's big business, nothing more. These churches spend big money to keep their congregants entertained and coming back for more. The operational expenses of that concert venue could be going to authentic, massive grassroots charity and missionary work, but no. Behold! Cheap, embarrassingly derivative, cheesy pop entertainment!
I wouldn't fault these entertainers for being unwitting tools in the church profit machine, rather I would hope for their eventual enlightenment. I realize that's a tall order, because they are privileged by their masters to an exciting and distracting rock-star lifestyle. Make no mistake, at the tops of these mega churches sit corporate demons, raking in untold, tax-exempt fortunes.

M

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The musical choices of certain Christians and their decisions to play it has no bearing on the truth of their claims. If all they had to do to convince you of their truth was to change a CD/tape/record to a different genre then your decision making process is deeply flawed.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

I don't think you understand my perspective at all. I'm not basing my acceptance or rejection of Christianity on their music alone. It is (as I've said before--I don't think you're actually reading my posts) but one factor among many.

Do you get it or should I keep repeating myself?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

I don't think you understand my perspective at all. I'm not basing my acceptance or rejection of Christianity on their music alone. It is (as I've said before--I don't think you're actually reading my posts) but one factor among many.

Do you get it or should I keep repeating myself?

From your OP:

I don't consider myself a Christian, but I could probably be converted if I found a church that didn't feature a s#y rock band (not that it would make much of a difference if they were any good) every Sunday. You're taking an aspect of the secular culture that is, in many aspects, diametrically opposed to what you teach and infusing yourself with it. It might sound silly and petty, but I'm not joking.

This is what I'm responding to...so unless your position has changed drastically in the last 3 pages....

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

You didn't read my response to your first post, apparently.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I absolutely did, and I addressed it when I posted:

The musical choices of certain Christians and their decisions to play it has no bearing on the truth of their claims.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   

What part of music being "one thing among several" do you not understand? This thread is about the music (or, specifically, what their choice of music--and how it is employed--says about their spiritual convictions).

Would you like me to start a thread about one of the other things comprising this "several" of which I speak?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

ya so many places are trying to do this whole modern theme when it comes to the music. Maybe they call it contemporary christian or something, but essencially it's like going to see an amature rock band. I don't understand why so many churches have gone in that direction. But then again they ususually have multiple services on sunday each catering to a different demographic.

The biggest challenge with churches is that due to the internet era the membership studies show is sadly dropping. I think if I found a good pastor, maybe someone sort of like joel osteen I'd go to see them. (all his sermons are on youtube) But that's just the thing, you can stay home and see the "best of the best" on tv, or youtube. So what's left is going to church to "socialize". Problem is that most churches are so clickie that it's hard to meet anyone. I rarely even talk to anyone new at church, let alone meet anyone. It's so hopeless. Thats' why I don't even go too often, even though I consider myself a christian. just changes in society is what it is.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

What part of music being "one thing among several" do you not understand? This thread is about the music (or, specifically, what their choice of music--and how it is employed--says about their spiritual convictions).

Would you like me to start a thread about one of the other things comprising this "several" of which I speak?

One thing among several, none of which mention or even allude to in your OP......

Spiritual convictions, musical choices and how they're employed have no bearing on the truth of their claims.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Since you are not a church goer, I would ask why you you would not simply choose a church that suits you?

With the traditional churches you get a lot of institution steeped in authoritarianism. Multiple layers of hierarchy, etc. This happens in the "non-denom" churches too, but to a much lesser extent.

Maybe I'm looking for a balance between... formal and informal? Isn't there something in between punks wearing crosses and stiffs wearing suits looking down their noses at you?

There are quite a few churches that are neither of these extremes, at least in the countries that I frequent.

Probably the smaller churches would be like that. I find that larger churches become impersonal and church officials end up on a pedestal, being treated as special, rather than being 'one of us'.

Most smaller Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, Anglican, Lutheran and Brethren churches are usually moderate and traditional as well. To a certain extent though, they will have time tested structures and hierarchies but that isn't the core of what the churches should be. The message of Jesus, and their compliance to that, should be the overarching concern. Anything less is a social club.

As a musician myself, I am well aware of the power of music, secular as well as religious. I often have reservations about the 'spirituality' of some contemporary Christian music and also its weak and repetitive lyrical content. The thing is, it is about the use of that music in true worship that transcends my personal disquiet. Who am I to judge when others are genuinely praising God, especially when I find that I can, also?

edit on 7/2/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Well I've been to a few churches in the last few years and they all had they same exact music and songs and sound to it.

The music in these modern church buildings are very hypnityzing plus they give you free coffee to as well which gets everyone in a hyped up emotional state.

There's something not right about it that didn't settle well with me at all, I won't go into any of those places anymore.

If you read the Christians new testament you will not find anything about the the necessity of a church building or "worship music" or a pastor or any of it. Even tithing throwing your hard earned cash in the plate as it passes while the hypnotic music plays is not in there.

Jesus gave no description of church. He said to Peter that he was the rock on which he would build his church but what did it mean? Why did St. Paul and the Catholic and later protestant denominations get to decide what it is?

I have encountered many dark spirits in church buildings and if you want to follow the peace love and truth of Jesus Christ those are not the places to go. The wolves with sheeo suits are milling around in there baring their fangs ready to drink your life blood Instead

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join