It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does Pop Music Dominate Evangelical Christian Services?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

So the only thing that's stopping you from becoming a christian, and all that it entails, is your dislike of popular music?

That's not a very good way of deciding......anything!

Is this typical of how you determine the truth value of every claim you hear?

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369

One thing among several, yes. The fact that "they" use contemporary music as a cheap trick (lol) to get people in the door--and, more importantly, the fact that they think this works on people--gives the entire experience an air of disingenuity.

Not to mention desperation is a foul cologne. Any church that is firm in its convictions will not be worried when the people who were sitting on the fence anyway start jumping to the other side.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: schuyler

That boring old-fashioned book also helps to connect you to the tradition of your faith, too. It is supposed to bind a congregation together to be able to sing with each other the songs they are all familiar with (or will be if they are regulars).

The contemporary stuff sounds good, but isn't stuff they can build a shared tradition out of as easily. It doesn't connect like the old stuff is supposed to.

I think your last sentence says it all. "It doesn't connect like the old stuff is SUPPOSED to." but doesn't. That's the issue. It's "supposed" to connect, but fails abysmally, hence the rock music to "make it contemporary."

Same thing with mass said in Latin. Much to the chagrin of the traditionalists, even the Catholic church changed on that one.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Why Does Pop Music Dominate Evangelical Christian Services?

...because the church has sold out to the world.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I've never come across such a church, but I'm aware of their existence. The noise and production of such a silly church band kind of thing would be a turn off, but there's so much more working against those types of churches. Primarily, their message and philosophy. I don't mean Christianity itself, but the way they live and demonstrate/flaunt their look-at-me/Christianity= wealth bizarro-world.

For any religious "house of worship" (I've attended several, from various Christian, to Hindu and others), if there isn't at least a feeling/appearance of tranquility, serenity, piety...IMO, it's fairly close to worthless. I don't mind grandiose and intricate, but I'm talking the sculpted marble and intricate cement or whatever they use at one of the nearby Hindu temples, or the old Christian churches with stained glass and other architectural art which evokes a reaching for the Divine. Jumbotrons, laser light shows and on-site driving ranges just don't speak divinity, serenity & tranquility to me. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "MegaChurches™" around here give BMWs in exchange for frequent worshipper points.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

For any religious "house of worship" (I've attended several, from various Christian, to Hindu and others), if there isn't at least a feeling/appearance of tranquility, serenity, piety...IMO, it's fairly close to worthless. I don't mind grandiose and intricate, but I'm talking the sculpted marble and intricate cement or whatever they use at one of the nearby Hindu temples, or the old Christian churches with stained glass and other architectural art which evokes a reaching for the Divine.

Exactly. The environment needs to be conducive to the "still, small voice". At least for me. I suppose there's something to be said for the liveliness and jubilation of some churches, but when that's facilitated by firmly embracing pop culture and expensive technology it makes the whole thing seem... fake.

It's like Project Blue Beam set to a bad soundtrack. Maybe it's just my personality, and I'd be better off in a more traditional kinda thing. But I dunno. Doctrinal rigidity and weird traditions aren't really my thing either.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Do what is right for you.

posted on Feb, 6 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I stopped attending services at the Baptist church I grew up in, when I spotted a drum kit up front - just went to Sunday School after that. Nowdays, I don't attend any church, being a heretic Universalist.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The themes of the music played are usually Christian. An expression of the praise and worship that the congregation and pastor/s (who are a part of contemporary society).

Most contemporary evangelical churches are not old folks playing music to "get the kids in". They are playing music that they enjoy and feel expresses their faith. Rock music has been around for more than 50 years, it is no longer the music of 'kids'.

Christian music is a major category of music in general. With sales exceeding those of Classical, Jazz and New Age categories. Here's Wikipedia article on it.

Since you are not a church goer, I would ask why you you would not simply choose a church that suits you? Such more traditional churches do exist aplenty.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   

I don't consider myself a Christian, but I could probably be converted if I found a church that didn't feature a s#y rock band (not that it would make much of a difference if they were any good) every Sunday.

I suppose what is confusing me is why the type of music they play is weighing in on the validity of the message of Christ? Going to that church building is not gonna change anything.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:03 AM
link   

edit on 7-2-2016 by Akragon because: nevermind

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

edit on 7/2/2016 by chr0naut because: Previous post, post-edited to be contentless, so reply was pointless.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:03 AM
link   

In the days when years and years ago I went to church the normal morning service was full of coffin dodgers and those who thought the church was a means of stepping up in society or qualifying their existence as estate agents and accountants etc. Plus a dose of those who wanted their kids into the church school because it got better results in the league tables than the state schools.

But, like it or not, the once monthly "Night Life" service" on Sunday night with the rock groups and the newer hymns was a ball and everyone went from the baby to the - you got it coffin dodgers who loved music. The atmosphere was electric and it was the best service on the month.

Music works with the human brain and many love good music as opposed to dirges. What one can say about Constantines" belief system if they research its beginnings is quite another matter though, fortunately for the church most don't they just keep their brainwashed ideals.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Take 2 minutes and read Acts 22-31 and Mathew 5-6. A Church is unnecessary. This is theater for the mindless and pop music is music for the mindless.... too predictable and simple. Putting money into giant churches and lights and costumes is taking money away from charity and helping those in need. Does it attract donations? Sure. So does a Sideshow. Or a WWF wrestling match. It's a for profit, non-taxed scam. Ya wanna talk to God? He's more likely to listen outdoors than in a place like this.
edit on 7-2-2016 by jaxnmarko because: correction

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
The environment needs to be conducive to the "still, small voice". At least for me. I suppose there's something to be said for the liveliness and jubilation of some churches, but when that's facilitated by firmly embracing pop culture and expensive technology it makes the whole thing seem... fake.

It's like Project Blue Beam set to a bad soundtrack. Maybe it's just my personality, and I'd be better off in a more traditional kinda thing. But I dunno. Doctrinal rigidity and weird traditions aren't really my thing either.

I find your your question about pop music dominating Christian services very intriguing...

I spent many years working as a sound man at several charismatic churches so I have witnessed this first hand.

Just off the top of my head what comes to mind is that many pastors are more interested in pleasing the congregation than they are in pleasing God.

And I suspect that those pastors that ARE actually interested in pleasing God don't realize that what they are doing is more harm than good.

One thing I learned from working in audio reinforcement was that many times a profound change in the atmosphere would take place when certain types of music were played.

I learned that when the music would have a certain flow or the absence of any beat, it created a type of atmosphere that sometimes had a powerful affect on those in the building.

Years ago I heard Norvel Hayes say something that I've never forgotten:

"...the Spirit of the Lord spoke to me and said this: "I work through atmospheres..."

Music can create an atmosphere that can change things...

One example of this:

The Lord told Norvel Hayes once that: 'My church is sadly lacking. And they are lacking because they don't worship me.'

Several years ago I was driving down the road just minding my own business when the Spirit of God came upon me. He comes upon me in some of the most unusual places! Then He said to me, "Son, the church is sadly lacking." I said, "What do you mean, 'sadly lacking'?" "Well," He said, "My children basically love me, but they live in poverty and sickness and defeat. They don't live in heaven's blessings because they don't worship me enough." "You said that right, Lord," I said, "in fact I know whole congregations who don't spend any time worshiping You at all. The pastors don't ever say, 'Let's worship God for a while just because He's God.' They just teach the people to go to church, sing a few songs and listen to a song or two sung by the choir, but they don't really worship You."

Then He said to me, "And neither do you." All I could say was, "Is that right?" He continued, "You're going around the country teaching My Word. You're teaching faith and confession. You're praying for the sick, but you need to worship Me more, and you need to teach My people to worship Me more. I'm their God, and they're My children. If you'll teach my children to worship Me more, I'll do great and mighty things for them." By this time I was weeping. Every time the Lord tells me I'm a flake and I've missed it, I always repent and weep. Worship - unleashing the supernatural power of god in your life

In the Bible, when people wanted to hear God's Voice directly, they spent hours (sometimes days) on their faces before God worshiping and praising Him. Sometimes, but not always, they fasted. Reverend Hayes takes you through scripture and reveals that the proper atmosphere in which God speaks and moves is one of BIBLICAL praise and worship. Acts 13:1-2 states, "Now there were in the church that was in Antioch certain prophets and teachers...as they ministered (praise and worship) to the Lord, and fasted, THE HOLY GHOST SAID, 'Separate Me Barnabas and Saul for the work where unto I have called them.' "

Now notice, they did three things: They came together with other believers. They praised God. They fasted. And what happened? God SPOKE to them. In Matthew 16:21-28 a woman comes to Jesus and wants her sick daughter healed. Jesus ignores her and refuses to talk to her. Then she comes to Him again, and it says "Then came she AND WORSHIPED Him, saying, Lord, help me" and Jesus delivers her daughter.

Praise and worship is the Biblically proper way to approach God. Psalms 100:4 tells us how to approach God: Have thanksgiving in your heart, and praise, express your thanks to Him, and bless His Holy Name. The reason? Because His Mercy endures FOREVER!

God told Norvel Hayes the church is sadly lacking. We do not worship Him enough. You have to get alone in the privacy of your home and get on your knees and just worship Jesus, telling Him how much you love Him and appreciate Him. So I did. And after a few weeks, suddenly, God began to speak. The first time God spoke to me He warned me a person's life was in danger. I thought I was just hearing voices, so I ignored it. Later, the very person God had mentioned almost died. I repented and vowed to believe and obey when He speaks.

After a while, Jesus began to appear to me. He would just walk in my room like an ordinary person and sit and talk to me. This happened every day at 6 PM on the dot. I would often tell a Christian woman at my work place what He said. She would always says, "Oh, that's Romans Chapter 8" or "That's Timothy the 2nd chapter," or "That's John Chapter 7." I told the Lord, "What is she talking about?" He told me to look in my Bible. The Bible is separated into books, each book has a title, each chapter and verse has a number. Hence, John 3:16 is John (the Gospel) the third chapter, the 16th verse: "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoseover believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." I looked it up. He was right.

The very next day 6 PM came and no Lord. I waited till 6:05 and began to wonder. At 06:07 I began to pray. God spoke to me and said, "You have no need I appear to you. You now know all I ever did say and ever will say is what the Bible says. The Bible is My Holy Word. It is YOUR responsibility to read the Bible and find out what it says."

To this day, if I have a vision or appearance, and IT DOESN'T AGREE WITH THE BIBLE, I reject it. Period. God stays in line with the Holy Word. Jesus Himself said the scripture cannot be broken (John 10:35, Matthew 5:18.) If you want God to speak to you, read your Bible. The Bible IS God talking to you. And yes, stick with the 1611 King James version. Spend time in praise and worship so you can discern what the Bible is saying.

OUR NEED TO PRAISE AND WORSHIP HIM

edit on Feb000000Sun, 07 Feb 2016 05:02:23 -06005am29Sun, 07 Feb 2016 05:02:23 -060020160207 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I attend a church with contemporary music. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinions, but I'm disheartened by the judgement in this thread. You cannot judge the heart of people or their relationship with God by the music played at their church.

We typically start service with 3-4 worship songs. Yes, they are sometimes loud and sound like rock music. But there is genuine worship taking place - people raise their hands praising the Lord. Crying. Singing. It's beautiful.

But that is only a small part of our worship time together. There is also time of complete silence as everyone is in prayer. There is communion. There is a bible-based sermon. Like most churches, charity is central. We have a very active food pantry, we give away free school supplies to any kids in the community that need it. Free coats every winter. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The love and compassion of the people in my church is touching. We try to help anyone in need - their faith, background, past or current sins don't matter. If people are hurting or in need, we want to help. Period.

I am not sure if I should be defending the sincere heart of my church ... But clearly some people judge us based on the style of worship music we use. As many people as we attract to the message of Jesus, I suppose there are some that are repelled.

Don't let something so superficial keep you from a personal relationship with Jesus. You don't even need to go to church to know Him! So seek Him out, and don't let the "noise" of this world distract you.

But... Please, don't judge the hearts of brothers and sisters in Christ by the praise music they enjoy. To do so might close yourself off to potentially meaningful relationships.

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
When they are rocking out like that is it okay to throw the heavy metal horns with your fingers?

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Yeah, the 'pop culture' approach is supposed to interest 'young people'. Make it like a rock concert, and they will come.
Except - lots of those 'young people' hate it and see right through it....

Dear Church: An open letter from one of those millennials you can’t figure out

Don’t give us entertainment, give us liturgy.
We don’t want to be entertained in church, and frankly, the church’s attempt at entertainment is pathetic. Enough with the theatrics. Enough with the lights, the visuals, the booming audio, the fog machine, the giveaway gimmicks, the whole production. Follow that simple yet profound formula that’s worked for the entire history of the church.

Entrance, proclamation, thanksgiving, sending out. Gathering, preaching, breaking bread, going forth in service. Give us a script to follow, give us songs to sing, give us the tradition of the church, give us Holy Scripture to read. Give us sacraments, not life groups, to grow and strengthen us.

It's a gimmick.

o_O

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yes, and no.

As I said, I think there is a place for some contemporary music in the service. I also think you need the traditional too. A balance of old and new adheres the community across generations. Like it or not (and believe it or not), people's tastes change as they age and the older hymns become more important. You need to bond the older members to the younger. Part of that is sharing the old and the new in a balance.

To often it goes all one way or the other.

The various choirs should also sing - old and young.

edit on 7-2-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Actually it's not a new concept. Black gospel churches and many white Pentecostal churches have used lively music in their services for many, many years.

I think with the rise of televised service of the mega churches that maybe many weren't aware of it.

I'm 57 and remember tent revivals as a child with drums and guitars.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join