It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sakurajima Volcano Erupts On Island of Kyushu, Japan.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:20 AM
link   

TOKYO – One of Japan’s most active volcanos erupted spectacularly Friday evening with a fiery blast that sent lava rolling down its slope. Japan’s Meteorological Agency said Sakurajima on the southern island of Kyushu erupted at around 7 p.m. (1000 GMT). Japanese television showed an orange burst out of the side of the volcano, near the summit, accompanied by lightning-like flashes. Dark grey smoke billowed into the sky.

Link.

Another amazing eruption on "Cherry Blossom Island". This is a highly active volcano responsible for the largest volcanic eruption in 20th century Japan. In 1914, Sakurajimas eruption was so powerful, the lava flows filled the strait separating it from the mainland. We'll see how this one goes.

edit on 5-2-2016 by Atsbhct because: Added picture.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Well it's beautiful to behold, hope everyone is safe. I do not know much about volcanos, but there wasn't an accompanying pyroclastic flow or did I miss it?

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

No injuries reported. I added a picture where you can see a bit of the flow.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Thanks for bringing it.

A gem on the Pacific Ring of Fire. Awesome display of power, too bad we can't hear the rolling thunder.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Definitely a bucket list activity. A hard one to plan though.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Amazing footage. I love the lightning that flashes through the eruptive cloud. Good spot!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

I don't really know what causes that. Something to put on the research agenda; or maybe a member can explain it...or maybe you know!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Yah, bucket list. Been through an earthquake, would like to see a volcano and tornado, too.
Hawaii is an ongoing eruption, lava and sparkles.

Sudden eruptions, pass.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

I don't really know what causes that. Something to put on the research agenda; or maybe a member can explain it...or maybe you know!

Friction of particles in the ash cloud generate static that builds to a discharge of lightning.

Neat stuff.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hasn't this one been winding up to something for a while now? I seem to remember a sudden phreatic explosion at some point last year that had them scrambling to remove tourists. Maybe it was one of the other Japanese volcanos.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, this volcano has been on alert since August 2015 or so. It's very active.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Lol - it's called volcanic lightning, also known as dirty lightning. It comes from all the superheated ash and rock fragments that get expelled in an ash cloud in an eruption. Although they start off neutrally charged, the fragments collide violently, static builds up rapidly from friction and you get the most amazing bolts of lightning. Here's a good explanation.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You know, it sure seems that there are a lot of volcanoes erupting in the recent years. It may just be that we are hearing of them more, but I actually think the activity may be rising.

I think they are pretty looking when they erupt, sort of like a few of my ex-girl friends when I was young.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I hope they plan to pay their carbon tax. That volcano just set the earth back 300 years due to that eruption. Global warming is going to spiral out of control now.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Oh no Global cooling is the result of the ash clouds....ice age a commin.....!

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Pfft.

Most of the eruptions have been small fry. To really get a good climate impact, you need a really good one like Pinatubo which was VEI 5 I think. There hasn't been a VEI5 or larger for a while now AFAIK.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The Sendai nuclear plant is only 30 miles (50km) away but has not issued any warnings.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAIKI

I don't think it's an issue at all at this point.

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Isn't there also a volcano eruption happening in Guatemala?

new topics

top topics

join