It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reset Win 10 Pro using its inbuilt feature, but it is Win 10 Home now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
The laptop is an Asus and it came with Win 8 preinstalled, which I instantly upgraded to 8.1, then to Win 10. They were all Pro versions (and 64 bit). The problem is, it did NOT come with a product key, and I'm told this is coded into the BIOS, however, I cannot access it. Mind you, it's probably a Win 10 key by now so it's moot even if I can access it. I used a program to find a key and it is a unique one, but I'm sure that's the Win 10 key. Microsoft were no help because they can't do anything without the Win 8 key. Needless to say, I'm more than a little pissed off by this point. How in blue # does a reset change the OS version?

I must say I'm in no way surprised at Microsoft's incompetence; they excel at it, but I'm baffled about how to fix this, and there's no way I'm paying money to do it.

It's not really a huge issue since I rarely use the laptop, but it's the principle of the thing!

One thing that does annoy me about the Home version is the lack of gpedit.msc to stop automatic updates, so I've had to resort to using the "metered connection" option, though I have no idea how reliable this is.

Any help would be appreciated but I have looked everywhere and haven't found any kind of useful info.
edit on Thu Feb 4 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Do they still put product keys on the bottom side of laptops? Sorry, it's been a while since i've had one.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Apparently not on modern ones, at least some of them. The box or lkaptop itself have no key, nor does the email confirmation I got when I bought it, which was 3 years ago so it's long past warranty. Asus customer "support" closes at 5pm in the UK and their live chat is only in USA and Canada, go figure. It amazes me that Microsoft's so-called activation improvement is such a complete # up.

The Windows 10 Home is activated automatically so they know it's legit, they just won't do # to fix it without the original Win 8 key, which is impossible to acquire.....talk about a scam.
edit on Thu Feb 4 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sharted

Yea, I was just looking at potential fixes. Having to use 3rd party software to get a product key is totally f#d.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Another apparent "solution" is to run the recovery management at boot up, using Alt+F10. Back up your data before doing it though.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

I agree, as long as the recovery partition is still in place it should work.

That step combined with the info I posted above should definitely retrieve the Win 8 key...

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

I hope Sharted doesn't have to reinstall 8 and then have to reinstall 10.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I Searched the Microsoft Community website, and could not find anyone else that had this problem.

Are you sure that you had win 8.1 Pro before you upgraded to Win 10 or was it Premium?

How in blue fuuuck does a reset change the OS version?

I guess that I need you to define RESET. Did you go into System Recovery and chose Reset this PC, or did you do a clean install from a downlowded ISO?

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
www.microsoft.com...

you can dl that file put in on a usb and make it install whatever version you want

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It was definitely the Pro version, it's all I ever use. Also, I made a post on these forums showing how to use the gpedit.msc method to stop auto updates, and you can't do that on the Home version!!! I deleted the recovery partition over a year ago to get more space on the hard drive, though I did put it onto a USB instead. However, I then deleted it to watch some movies on my TV. The problem is that the Windows 8 ISO will not install without a valid product key, unlike other versions of Windows. There is no option to continue until you enter a valid key. And I managed to get a product key using a third party tool but it was the Windows 10 Home key, not the original Pro version or the Win 8 version.

It's as though MS just wants people to pay money ($99 or £99 in the UK we Brits get ripped off again!)) for their incompetence. I am at a loss with this one. It doesn't help that level 1 MS support is as much use as cancer, and to get level 2 support requires 50 bucks an hour! I think I will just have to live with crappy Home version, alas.

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You can also find out your product key by using Microsoft Toolkit.
Be a bit careful with that - it's software designed to 'crack' Windows and Office - but it also has some useful tools in it as well that you can't find anywhere else.

If you do go hunting for that, make sure you get a copy from the right place, as there are some dodgy ones available too. If you google "Microsoft Toolkit forum", it's the top result.

(EDIT)

Sorry, didn't see that you'd already managed to acquire your key.
I guess your only possible avenue here is to contact Microsoft and see if they can help you. This is an odd issue. I've done several upgrades from Win7 to Win10, and had no problems at all - all of them upgraded correctly (from x64 professional to x64 professional) and I didn't even have any of the usual teething problems that come with upgrading an OS.

Microsoft SHOULD be able to help you - it's probably worth calling them directly, rather than going via email support etc. - they'd probably be more helpful that way. Phones tend to keep people more accountable than email.
edit on 4-2-2016 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

There are Generic Place holder keys that can be used to allow the install to continue.

See this link Generic Key info

posted on Feb, 4 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sharted
The problem is that the Windows 8 ISO will not install without a valid product key, unlike other versions of Windows.

I have not verified if these work or not, let us know if they do...

Install Windows 8 without a Product Key
Install Windows 8.1 without a Product Key (Skip Key Input)
How to Install Windows 8 without a Product Key

More here:Google Search - How to install Windows 8 without a valid product key

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Windows 8 was the OS that came on the computer from purchase right?

If so the Windows 8 Pro key is burned into the BIOS chip and should be retrievable. Installing Windows 10 would not replace your previous key with a new one since you would have to burn that code into the chip again. Back up your data first then try reinstalling Windows 8 using a flash drive or disc. You can create one using the Windows Media Creation tool. Skip entering the key code for the installation. Afterwards try activating Windows. If this does not automatically activate use 3rd party software to retrieve your key.

Sorry about your trouble. Microsoft can be a pain, especially since most of their tech help is in India and you can't understand a word they say.
edit on 5-2-2016 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2016 by asmall89 because: windows media creation tool change

posted on Feb, 5 2016 @ 05:14 AM
link   
a reply to: asmall89

Yeah it's got to the point now where I can't even be bothered phoning them. I have Windows 8 on USB but gave up when it wouldn't let me continue without entering a key. Then I just decided to use Win 10 Home. If I used the laptop often I would be more inclined to fix it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

top topics

join